Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
7 Year Class A RV'er

Girard Demand Water a Heater - Suggestions?

We just finished our first trip in the new Legacy (11 days) and the water heater issue the dealer thought was fixed during the PDI was not fixed. Wondering if anyone out there may have had this issue and have suggestions for how to address the problem. At PDI, the heater would shut down and not come back on every time the faucet was turned off. They found this to be a faulty flow sensor that wasn't detecting that water flow gad stopped. That caused the heater to continue running until the "overheat" sensor shut it down. I think that may now be fixed, but here's the new problem. In order to get hot water, ?I have to go outside, remove the cover and cycle the heater on/off switch. This causes the blower motor to start. So long as we start using hot water before the fan shuts off and don't turn off the water, we have hot water and the temperature seems correct with the heat control set to medium and tsing all hit water in the shower. Trouble us, taking a shower should NOT require a trip outside every time! Also, I made the mistake of shutting off the water during my shower and paid the price when ?I turned it back on a few moments later. I now have a 4" diameter scalded patch (literally) on my shoulder! After two weeks, the blistering phase is over and the skin us peeling, so healing is under way. This takes things from nuisance level to flat dangerous! I have contacted the dealer and been told "talk to our tech department". I have also emailed Girard (today) and am waiting for a reply. In the interim, I thought I would see if anyone else had experienced this issue and how they corrected it. Sure makes me miss our old tank style water heater! Other than this issue, we love the new Legacy - just need to get this corrected before our next long trip.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:00 AM   #2
David29829

We had the same problem. The hot water would stop. The tech at the dealer thinks that it is caused by air in the hot water line. I have to remove the outside and press the reset button inside the unit. I allow the water to flow continuously during showers. This seems to solve the problem. But the hot water surges hot to cool. I really don't care for this system.. .. Suggestions ?....

Old 06-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

We had a similar issue with scalding water and cycling back and forth from Luke warm to scalding. The problem ended up being a screw was inadvertently put through the wire from thermostat to back of heating unit basically grounding out the system. Burner was constantly stuck on high until the over temp was reached and then would shut burner off completely for a minute or two and then repeat the cycle.

Now I will say since we have had this corrected it works great and actually like it more than our old tank system. There are a few quirks that you need to know when operating it. The whole system is based on having good water flow and pressure throughout the coach. So if your using a watts pressure regulated at faucet and is set below 50 psi you will have a problem because it is further reduced at the whole house filter as well. I have mine set at 60 psi.

Once you address that while using any faucet you only use the hot knob. When the hot is full open that is the coolest setting that knob will allow, if this is still too hot adjust thermostat slightly. Ours it set at 1-2 o'clock position in summer and slightly higher in water because of the ambient water temps being warmer in summer and colder in winter. If the temp when full open is ok but you want it slightly hotter all you should need to do is ever so slightly close/reduce hot water flow and it will get hotter. I'm talking small changes til you get it dialed in. You are slowing the rate of the water through the heater thus heats it more.

Give the Girard tech guys a call out in California, real nice guys. They helped me figure out the issue with the grounded thermostat wire ( dealer couldn't figure it out) and also gave me a real nice technical lesson on how to use this heater the right way.

Good luck and keep us posted! Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, psw757 - how did you find the shorted wire?

Old 06-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #5

Any issues with the hot water when using freshwater tank and water pump? I have noticed water getting cold and then hot but figure it's me getting used to the system. I would also like to know where to look for the shorted wire to see if I have one too.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

David29829: Your issue sounds more like the bad flow switch we had when we first picked up the unit. Your method of getting around it is what they told us to do until the replacement part came in. Look inside the heater and have someone turn off the faucet. What happens is the heater doesn't sense that flow has stopped so it continues to heat until the high temp switch kicks out. Pushing the small white button resets it. When it kicks, you should see a small release of water from the pressure relief valve in front of the reset button.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

DrJAG: Not sure about that impacting things or not as we don't dry camp, thus no showers using the tank and pump. I think this thing has more quirks to working it correctly than the space shuttle!

Old 06-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Thanks, psw757 - how did you find the shorted wire?

The tech support people at Girard had me testing a whole bunch of different things and having the voltage/amp reader hooked up was the tell tale sign because when it is on high it draws like 12 volts I think and on low was only 7.1v and it was stuck on the high reading and wasn't modulating. You could also tell by having someone physically watch the burner size to see if it changes, mine was not going to a smaller flame regardless of setting.

I suggest giving the Girard folks a call.

Our fix was just running a new wire from thermostat to heater and problem solved.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
DrJAG: Not sure about that impacting things or not as we don't dry camp, thus no showers using the tank and pump. I think this thing has more quirks to working it correctly than the space shuttle!
Too bad you live in the east, Girard is fairly close to me. However, no issues with our heater "to date". I too would prefer a standard water heater but since it's in the slide not a good place for that much weight. A little nervous about long term maintenance issues since there are so many sensors and switches to wear out. We'll see. Anxious to hear if you get any good advise from Girard.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Ours is not in the slide so probably not that much involved to swap it out. Would still need to install an on/off switch inside the MH. Still, what they provided should work. I emailed Girard two days ago but still no contact back. I'm going to give them until next week to respond before I call. If you happen to have any contact info it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tags
heater, water