Old 06-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Cgpalmer: From my experience, that sounds like a bad flow switch. They replaced mine when I first picked up the MH and after diagnostics with Girard last week, they feel like the new one is bad, too. Going in to their dealer next week to get that replaced! If it is the flow switch, here's what you should be seeing. Remove the cover outside and turn on the heater. If it won't come on, look toward the rear of the heater, just left of the middle. You'll see wires going to two small round switches, one black and one white. The white one has a small button in the center. Push up with your fingertip. If it goes in, then the overheat safety was tripped. The heater should now start running (burner on) when you turn on the water (ONLY when you turn on the water). Just behind the control panel on the left you'll see a pressure relief valve, probably with a paper warning tag on it. Watch that valve. If the water is overheating, you'll see a small amount of water released by that valve and most likely hear the overheat switch opo again. When the flow switch senses water flowing in the hot water system, it should tell the relay to start the blower, turn on the gas and ignite the flame. When the flow stops, it should immediately shut off the gas. The blower will continue for a couple of minutes to cool the combustion chamber down. Hope that all makes sense. Good luck!

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Update on the problems I was having with the Girard. After getting Girard to educate the "trained" service guys, they replaced several parts, including the flow switch, the regulator dial in the front bath, the ECO switch and the freeze protection switch. Happy to report we've been on the road for two weeks today and it all seemed to be working great (knock on wood!). Even able to add cold water to temper the shower. I'm happy!

"Conceptumator" - Orlando, FL
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Old 10-10-2015, 09:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Update on the problems I was having with the Girard. After getting Girard to educate the "trained" service guys, they replaced several parts, including the flow switch, the regulator dial in the front bath, the ECO switch and the freeze protection switch. Happy to report we've been on the road for two weeks today and it all seemed to be working great (knock on wood!). Even able to add cold water to temper the shower. I'm happy!

"Conceptumator" - Orlando, FL
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
We are 2 1/2 months on the road. While I don't believe the temp. dial does squat, we really have not had any issues. Might consider upgrading to the Gen III at some future point but not high on the list of wants at the moment.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

Captnrick3: You might give Girard a call about the temp adjust switch. For some reason they decided to replace mine even though I supposedly gad the latest revision. I read about the Gen III and that Girard would sell it to previous model owners for $400, which us not bad at all, but agree it's not high on the list.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Captnrick3: You might give Girard a call about the temp adjust switch. For some reason they decided to replace mine even though I supposedly gad the latest revision. I read about the Gen III and that Girard would sell it to previous model owners for $400, which us not bad at all, but agree it's not high on the list.
Thanks I will. Might even drive to the factory in San Clemente, CA once we get home.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #16
C8dnLegacy

Thanks conceptumator and captnrick3. They replaced a bad flow switch and we have had hot water, but I really don't think the temp control does anything. I add cold and the shower is ok. Heading out for a couple of weeks down to South Carolina where we will keep our Legacy for the winter. Hoping this problem is fixed. May look at the Gen III option

Tags
hot water, water