Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Girard GSWH-1M no hot water

I've had issues with this unit before as is typical however now I have no hot water at all. I've verified the 12v going into and out off main switch. From that point I'm unable to trace. I do know that the blower operates each time hot water is on but within 30 seconds turns off. There is no ignition or flame from what I see. Although LP has is on and all other gas appliances operate properly. Any suggestions???
rbrtmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #2

Don't have any knowledge for the Girard water heater but here is the manual which should help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gswh1m.pdf (1.18 MB, 771 views)
Broadway Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:06 PM   #3

same here

Mine is doing the same thing. Started yesterday. I've not investigated the cause as of yet.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:52 PM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

Are you sure there's no flame? It's pretty hard to see. There's a small circular opening about 1/4" diameter to "sight" the flame through. When the blower turns on, check for power and continuity on the sail switch. It could be stuck and making the unit think the blower isn't working. The Girard tech folks will step you through finding the issue.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

I had the symptom. The problem was the arrow-shaped flange inside the exhaust. It sticks in the forward position, which cuts off the flame. I lubricated the hinge on which it is mounted and used alcohol to clean the contacts of the two wires controlling the flange. It's been working well for the last week.
helferdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Director, FROG

There is a tiny reset button toward the left side as you face the water heater from outside with the panel removed. (At least there is on ours.) It's about the same size as the antenna/cable button on the switch for the TV. Ours is a white button on a little white box less than an inch square. Press that. If the temperature is turned all the way up and the ambient temperature is also high, that button can pop out to protect you from too-hot water.

Look about six inches to the left of the exhaust port, and a little deeper into the W/H compartment.

Here's a link to a video that will show you where the button is located:

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

helferdm - That's the sail switch. If the blower is running, the exhaust pushes it outward and allows gas to flow as that tells the unit that air is flowing to remove CO, etc. If the sail switch doesn't get pushed outward, it thinks the fan is not running and it won't allow the burner to get gas. It connects to a relay in the rear upper left of the unit.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
helferdm - That's the sail switch. If the blower is running, the exhaust pushes it outward and allows gas to flow as that tells the unit that air is flowing to remove CO, etc. If the sail switch doesn't get pushed outward, it thinks the fan is not running and it won't allow the burner to get gas. It connects to a relay in the rear upper left of the unit.
Yes sir, you are right on the money. Look at the attached photos. The exhaust obstruction is even worse with the cover attached. And, by the way the little windvane/flapper will reset when the cover is removed because of the movement of the exhaust. This makes troubleshooting tough.

Well, this little issue is corrected now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	phpFl3YPGAM.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	80980  
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #9

I had the same issue of no hot water, mine was a motherboard issue, ordered a new board, was easy to plug in and now hot water again.:-)
deppitydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
C8dnLegacy

Thanks everyone, we have been experiencing these issues. This forum helped me figure out how to get the flame going again, but now the water is scalding hot and then shuts off. It is just irritating that there is such a prevalent problem that forest River who monitors this forum does not take some proactive steps to address.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Cgpalmer: From my experience, that sounds like a bad flow switch. They replaced mine when I first picked up the MH and after diagnostics with Girard last week, they feel like the new one is bad, too. Going in to their dealer next week to get that replaced! If it is the flow switch, here's what you should be seeing. Remove the cover outside and turn on the heater. If it won't come on, look toward the rear of the heater, just left of the middle. You'll see wires going to two small round switches, one black and one white. The white one has a small button in the center. Push up with your fingertip. If it goes in, then the overheat safety was tripped. The heater should now start running (burner on) when you turn on the water (ONLY when you turn on the water). Just behind the control panel on the left you'll see a pressure relief valve, probably with a paper warning tag on it. Watch that valve. If the water is overheating, you'll see a small amount of water released by that valve and most likely hear the overheat switch opo again. When the flow switch senses water flowing in the hot water system, it should tell the relay to start the blower, turn on the gas and ignite the flame. When the flow stops, it should immediately shut off the gas. The blower will continue for a couple of minutes to cool the combustion chamber down. Hope that all makes sense. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

Update on the problems I was having with the Girard. After getting Girard to educate the "trained" service guys, they replaced several parts, including the flow switch, the regulator dial in the front bath, the ECO switch and the freeze protection switch. Happy to report we've been on the road for two weeks today and it all seemed to be working great (knock on wood!). Even able to add cold water to temper the shower. I'm happy!

"Conceptumator" - Orlando, FL
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Old 10-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Update on the problems I was having with the Girard. After getting Girard to educate the "trained" service guys, they replaced several parts, including the flow switch, the regulator dial in the front bath, the ECO switch and the freeze protection switch. Happy to report we've been on the road for two weeks today and it all seemed to be working great (knock on wood!). Even able to add cold water to temper the shower. I'm happy!

"Conceptumator" - Orlando, FL
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
We are 2 1/2 months on the road. While I don't believe the temp. dial does squat, we really have not had any issues. Might consider upgrading to the Gen III at some future point but not high on the list of wants at the moment.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:42 PM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

Captnrick3: You might give Girard a call about the temp adjust switch. For some reason they decided to replace mine even though I supposedly gad the latest revision. I read about the Gen III and that Girard would sell it to previous model owners for $400, which us not bad at all, but agree it's not high on the list.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Captnrick3: You might give Girard a call about the temp adjust switch. For some reason they decided to replace mine even though I supposedly gad the latest revision. I read about the Gen III and that Girard would sell it to previous model owners for $400, which us not bad at all, but agree it's not high on the list.
Thanks I will. Might even drive to the factory in San Clemente, CA once we get home.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #16
C8dnLegacy

Thanks conceptumator and captnrick3. They replaced a bad flow switch and we have had hot water, but I really don't think the temp control does anything. I add cold and the shower is ok. Heading out for a couple of weeks down to South Carolina where we will keep our Legacy for the winter. Hoping this problem is fixed. May look at the Gen III option

Tags
hot water, water