Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #51
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not sure - I need to get out and take a better picture of the back of the assembly to see if that number is stamped on it, too.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #52
7 Year Class A RV'er

I think the high beam is a 9005 bulb.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Old 03-13-2016, 12:07 PM   #53

I have not begun to address this issue myself. Having not looked at the bulbs or even confirmed bulb types, let me throw this idea out there.
If, as indicated in this thread, the bulbs are 9005 and 9006, I'd consider a 9006 to 9005 conversion allowing for installation of 9005 bulbs in all positions. Low beam bulb life will probably suffer though.
I've got another idea, but will want to check into it further before stating it here.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #54

Well while inside our storage location we turned off the main lights and turned on the coach ones...as mentioned on the top of the lights there is a setting set screw....worked with it and got my low beams up and much better that before...
Old 03-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
Well while inside our storage location we turned off the main lights and turned on the coach ones...as mentioned on the top of the lights there is a setting set screw....worked with it and got my low beams up and much better that before...
Thanks for the heads up. Once we get home I will check that out as well.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #56

I've got some parts arriving in a couple days. Once I complete mods and testing I'll post here the results. Expecting some positive findings for a total cost of around $100.00😃. Be advised that I'm in the experimental but promising phase.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:59 AM   #57

My planned modification did not produce the desired results. I was provided some inaccurate information about the factory lights/lenses/bulbs.

My approach has changed to this simple bulb replacements.
Narva® RangePower+50® Ultra High Output 55w H3 Bulb
and
Philips Xtreme Vision +130 H1 (Two-Pack) ---<b>Save Today!!</b>

Bulb life will be less, but hoping the forward view will be worth it. I'll retain the factory bulbs for replacements. Swapping bulbs is a 5 minute job so I'll swap one side and drive for a while seeing if there is a difference. Better yet, I'll have my buddy swap them and not tell me which side. Kind of a "blind" study.

My current decision was based upon the following gained from another site.

"For reference, here's manufacturer data*for output and lifespan at 13.2v for standard-wattage H1 bulbs.*The numbers here are a composite of values applicable to the products of*the big three makers (Osram-Sylvania, Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each*manufacturer's product in each category is slightly different but not*significantly so. *I picked H1-type bulbs for this comparison, and while*the absolute numbers differ with different bulb types, the relative*comparison patterns hold good for whatever bulb type we consider (H4, 9006, whatever).*Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which 63.2 percent of the*bulbs have failed.

H1 (regular normal):

1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")

1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Ultra Long Life (or "DayLight")

1430 lumens, 3000 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (CPI BrightLight, Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower,*Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):

1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (CPI Super Bright Light, Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva*Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):*

1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):

1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (CPI Bright Light Blue, Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips*BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania*Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra,*also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):

1380 lumens, 250 hours

So that's the pattern for how lifespan and light output are related. It's worth noting that the lumen differences are not the extent of the performance differences. The filament changes required to make a long-life bulb tend to reduce the beam focus, which shortens seeing distance. And, the light color is less white and more brown. But lifespan is lengthened. The opposite filament changes are made to create the "Plus" (+30, +50, +80, +90) or Osram "Hyper" type bulbs: Lifespan is reduced, but the beam focus is better so seeing distance is longer. Light color is whiter and less brown. The takeaway message here is that even if all the filaments put out exactly the same amount of light — the same lumens from a long life, a +30, a +50, a regular, an ultralong-life, etc. — the headlamp performance and appearance with the long-life bulb would still be inferior compared to the same headlamp performance and appearance with a regular, or +30, or +50, or +80, or Hyper bulb.

The various H1 bulbs can be browsed here." http://store.candlepower.com/h1bulbs1.html
Old 05-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post

My planned modification did not produce the desired results. I was provided some inaccurate information about the factory lights/lenses/bulbs.

My approach has changed to this simple bulb replacements.
Narva® RangePower+50® Ultra High Output 55w H3 Bulb
and
Philips Xtreme Vision +130 H1 (Two-Pack) ---<b>Save Today!!</b>

Bulb life will be less, but hoping the forward view will be worth it. I'll retain the factory bulbs for replacements. Swapping bulbs is a 5 minute job so I'll swap one side and drive for a while seeing if there is a difference. Better yet, I'll have my buddy swap them and not tell me which side. Kind of a "blind" study.

My current decision was based upon the following gained from another site.

"For reference, here's manufacturer data*for output and lifespan at 13.2v for standard-wattage H1 bulbs.*The numbers here are a composite of values applicable to the products of*the big three makers (Osram-Sylvania, Philips-Narva, Tungsram-GE). Each*manufacturer's product in each category is slightly different but not*significantly so. *I picked H1-type bulbs for this comparison, and while*the absolute numbers differ with different bulb types, the relative*comparison patterns hold good for whatever bulb type we consider (H4, 9006, whatever).*Lifespan is given as Tc, the hour figure at which 63.2 percent of the*bulbs have failed.

H1 (regular normal):

1550 lumens, 650 hours

Long Life (or "HalogenPlus+")

1460 lumens, 1200 hours

Ultra Long Life (or "DayLight")

1430 lumens, 3000 hours

Plus-30 High Efficacy (CPI BrightLight, Osram Super, Sylvania Xtravision, Narva Rangepower,*Tungsram High Output, Philips Premium):

1700 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-50 Ultra High Efficacy (CPI Super Bright Light, Philips VisionPlus, Osram Silverstar, Narva*Rangepower+50, Tungsram Megalicht, but not Sylvania Silverstar):*

1750 lumens, 350 hours

Plus-80/90 Mega High Efficacy (Philips Xtreme Power, Osram Night Breaker):

1780 lumens, 340 hours

Blue coated 'extra white' (CPI Bright Light Blue, Osram CoolBlue, Narva Rangepower Blue, Philips*BlueVision or CrystalVision, Tungsram Super Blue or EuroBlue, Sylvania*Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra,*also PIAA, Hoen, Nokya, Polarg, etc):

1380 lumens, 250 hours

So that's the pattern for how lifespan and light output are related. It's worth noting that the lumen differences are not the extent of the performance differences. The filament changes required to make a long-life bulb tend to reduce the beam focus, which shortens seeing distance. And, the light color is less white and more brown. But lifespan is lengthened. The opposite filament changes are made to create the "Plus" (+30, +50, +80, +90) or Osram "Hyper" type bulbs: Lifespan is reduced, but the beam focus is better so seeing distance is longer. Light color is whiter and less brown. The takeaway message here is that even if all the filaments put out exactly the same amount of light — the same lumens from a long life, a +30, a +50, a regular, an ultralong-life, etc. — the headlamp performance and appearance with the long-life bulb would still be inferior compared to the same headlamp performance and appearance with a regular, or +30, or +50, or +80, or Hyper bulb.

The various H1 bulbs can be browsed here." H1 bulbs
Wow, lots of work on that post. Thanks for the info. will be useful going forward for sure.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #59

Testing bulbs

My son just installed upgraded bulbs on one side. I don't know which side. During our next trip I'm going to"see" if I can identify which side. Basically a "blind" test. No convincing myself the upgrade works thereby justifying the purchase/install.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #60
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thinking about a solution a friend of mine suggested. Possibly going to replace the fog lights with LED driving lights and simply use those when driving at night. Lots of good ones out there, it seems, but pretty expensive. Also would have to work out the mounting bracket issues. By the way, I did some more research on the headlights they used on our Legacy models. GM has had several recalls on those same headlights for everything from bulbs burning out prematurely to lack of proper lighting levels to just flat out failure. Guess FR doesn't keep track of the recalls from their components sources!

Tags
light