Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 02:31 PM   #61

Headlights

I have a 4" round fog light from a GMC Yukon that will fit in the opening. Doesn't have a bracket available from GM so I had to get one made. Haven't had a chance to mount it yet. Uses a 5202 bulb of which there is many LED replacements available.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474140611.621723.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	120456Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1474140644.903057.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	120457
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #62

Our headlights are not "GM" factory parts. I forget the manufacturer, its on the top of the headlight unit. I'm going to work with the bulbs first to see if brighter ones will make a difference. There are also many aftermarket units out there that should be able to be swapped with ours. Seen ones that have xenon HID bulbs & ballasts.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #63
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not necessarily a GM part, but they are the same headlights used on a Chevy Silverado truck. Just wondering why GM has seen fit to issue recalls on the same fixture while FR has not. And by the way, I got the information about them being the same light as the Silverado directly from Isaac at FR.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:35 PM   #64

What year Silverado? I have had a '13 and a '15 Silverado and never had any recalls on headlights. And the 13-15 were different design headlamps assemblies.

As for inserting LED bulbs into a housing designed for halogen bulbs that can cause a lot of trouble for the oncoming traffic. I know, I tried it...Hummer H3. Pulled them out for two reasons. One, could not adjust correctly so oncoming traffic was being terrified, and two, they actually threw less light down the road than the halogen. There were whiter, but not better. Might work differently on your housings, and the price for cheaper LEDs are not bad now.

Actually went to Silverstar Ultimate bulbs which were whiter, maybe giving me a bit longer distance (not sure), but I liked them, and they lasted about 2 years (also installed them in my two Silverados and was quite happy. They were NOT cheap; no doubt about that.

Found the reason is headlamp assemblies are built around a bulb and the reflector is how the light goes down the road. Bulbs emit 360 deg of light; most LED assemblies do not, even those with the LEDs all around the bulb (like I had) fail to hit the reflector correctly.

And looking at the factory installed LED lights on my '16 GMC, there is a noticeable difference inside the glass housing as compared to my '15 with halogen bulbs. They have a very distinctive cutoff at the top and at the left side (to keep the light out of the eyeballs of oncoming drivers), but they throw a very white light amazingly down the road. And no one so far, has flashed their lights at me when driving down the road at night.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #65
7 Year Class A RV'er

2007-2014 Chevy Silverado Angel Eye Halo LED Projector Headlights - Chrome (CSilverado trucks used a great number of different styles of headlights with various differences. Take a look here and see if it looks familiar. Looks just like the headlight assemblies on our 2015. As for the recalls, they could have been just TSB's. Google Silverado Headlight Recalls and you'll find them. Difference between a TSB and a recall is they don't have to notify you about TSB's and they only gave to make the repair at no charge if you point them to the TSB. Most dealers are honest enough to tell you the issue has a TSN, but not all.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #66
7 Year Class A RV'er

OK, folks - I finally got out in the driveway and managed to find an exact part number on the headlights used on my 2015 Legacy. Here's a link to one vendor that sells the OEM units:

http://www.headlightsdepot.com/produ...A#.V98Mz-v3aK0

You'll most likely have to cut and paste this link as the iPad app doesn't seem to get you to the advanced post features where you can insert a link. You can also search the Internet for this part number: GM450-B0WHA (B-zero-WHA). They are made by Eagle Eyes for Silverado trucks. Bulb sizes are: High Beam: H1 and Low Beam: H3

I'm still checking but I believe they sell an improved version of this same assembly that has an LED projector for the low beams. They seem all be selling for around $270 per pair for the complete assembly, which should be entirely plug and play to the existing harness as well as fitting the original body cavity. That might solve the low light level issue, though the only way to be sure us to try it. I'm going to try and contact a Eagle Eyes and see if they offer any recommendations. I'll share whatever I find with the group. Thanks for all the input.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 AM   #67
7 Year Class A RV'er

Update on Eagle Eye headlights:

I contacted Eagle Eyes here in the US and was informed they are not the manufacturer of the headlights. That is a different firm: Eagle Eyes Traffic in Taiwan. Doubt we'll get any information from them anytime soon as the US government has a $50MM lawsuit against that firm for price fixing on automotive headlights! Seems the CEO and a couple of other officers also have arrest warrants out for them or are already incarcerated. Sorry, folks...I think this one is a dead end. I may try some brighter bulbs and see if that helps any. Will keep you all updated. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Update on Eagle Eye headlights:

I contacted Eagle Eyes here in the US and was informed they are not the manufacturer of the headlights. That is a different firm: Eagle Eyes Traffic in Taiwan. Doubt we'll get any information from them anytime soon as the US government has a $50MM lawsuit against that firm for price fixing on automotive headlights! Seems the CEO and a couple of other officers also have arrest warrants out for them or are already incarcerated. Sorry, folks...I think this one is a dead end. I may try some brighter bulbs and see if that helps any. Will keep you all updated. Thanks.
Holy cow, I still wonder if the ones on your earlier post above might fit? Glad I don't drive the rig at night much, the one time I did was quite a surprise.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #69
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Holy cow, I still wonder if the ones on your earlier post above might fit? Glad I don't drive the rig at night much, the one time I did was quite a surprise.
The ones I mentioned earlier will fit and are available in several different versions, BUT....they are all made by the same company, so I don't know if they would be any better or just as bad.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #70

No factory help

Well i have tried many times but talked to Mike B who is the person who handles the warranty issues with the Legacy...he said and I quote " the headlights have passed the inspection information from the US Department of Transportation.....

Well My dealer is trying to help but I am going to do a light replacement effort this winter using Silverado lights and see what I can do to provide a proper replacement...will be doing lighting testing indoors so I can determine proper lighting..
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM   #71

FMCA

Here is an attachment you can use if needed to help align the headlights..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0710a.gif
Views:	267
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	122078  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:19 PM   #72
7 Year Class A RV'er

I can tell Mike B one thing.....get into my Legacy at night and then tell me all about how they've met the standards. I have no doubt the fixture itself does meet the standards, but not in the application they've been installed in here, thus placing the blame for a total lack of safety engineering on FR! I finally got their engineering screw up on the wipers fixed up by changing to 28" blades instead of the 32" factory blades. Another example of FR just sticking a part on and not listening to owners when it doesn't work. Wonder what the NTSB would think about this?

Old 10-04-2016, 10:41 AM   #73

Finally better but not best.

Finally was able to convince dealer and forest river to replace both front headlight units. Took two trips to dealership to accomplish but once done significant improvement. Headlights are much better now but not the best.
Jdotsonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:43 AM   #74

2018 pursuit 29ss tolerable headlights

The headlights are extremely bad!! First told they adjusted them while in warranty. I was told by Tim that the headlight was a personal opinion. Still bad they said try a brighter light bulb but would not recommend anything. I took it to a collusion repair shop and he couldn't believe that I drove it that way at night. I had him put the brightest LED lights in the those stupid projector lens locations. Still bad. He suggested get another set of LED headlights and put them in the "Bright lights" location. I did. There is NO adjustments for the lights. He had to grind the fiberglass to point them downward. NOW I can use the regular lights as daylight running lights and turn the brights on to drive at night. Thanks coachmen for not helping and advertising that the newer units have BRIGHTER headlights. Still frustrated.
dfriges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #75

What year of Legacy do you have? The lights are certified but some do not like the aftermarket projection style of lighting. I can help you determine the OEM Version. You may like the light output better.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:40 PM   #76

I have a 2015 legacy and like everyone else my headlights are very poor. I’m ready to replace, thinking that the reflectors inside are shot. I’m having a hard time figuring out what will work. I know 2007-2014 Silverado halo angel eyes is what was used but a lot of the aftermarket reviews discuss problems with alignment hardware. Has anyone changed the headlight housing and if so what did you use and did it fit properly?
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:10 AM   #77
Dano

This thread seems to be similar to the "Headlight Adjustment" thread. I posted to it that i was having the same issue in my 2014, I finally pulled the headlight and found the issue was the reflector coating on the inside of the bulb cavity was separating from the housing and loosing the reflecting power. Was able to shake the peeled off pieces out of it. Had to replace the headlight.
Attached Images

dmwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #78

I replaced my headlights with aftermarket lights from TYC. I chose to go with the standard Chevy Silverado 2007-2014 lights. The angel halo projector lights installed on the legacy did not work well for me. The standard lights are readily available and cost about 200 for a pair. They fit the cut out and the wiring connector fit the new light without any modifications. The original mounts also worked without modifications. There were 2 wires for the led and 2 for the halo on the original light. I cut these and caped them as they are not necessary on the new lights. This has solved my nighttime driving issues. A fairly simple and inexpensive solution. Part numbers are 20-6817-00 and 20-6818-00

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	232493
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:31 PM   #79

Looks good!
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light