Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #1

Hot Water

I did what Mike Thompson's Fountain Valley CA service department could not do! I fixed my hot water issue with the help of the water heater manufacturer's technical support department. The problem was exactly what was discribed in these forums and what I mentioned to Mike Thompson's service department. A wire was shorted to ground some where between the water heater and the adjustment knob in the bathroom.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjoe3 View Post
I did what Mike Thompson's Fountain Valley CA service department could not do! I fixed my hot water issue with the help of the water heater manufacturer's technical support department. The problem was exactly what was discribed in these forums and what I mentioned to Mike Thompson's service department. A wire was shorted to ground some where between the water heater and the adjustment knob in the bathroom.
Everyone complains about these regardless of the coach brand but I think it is a combination of improper install and user error as well.

Once we got the grounding issue fixed it works like a champ!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

I did not see your other post.

What problems were you experiencing?

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I did not see your other post.

What problems were you experiencing?

Vin.
We had an issue where the burner output was stuck on high regardless of thermostat setting and water flow. This resulted in extremely hot water 130 degrees safety feature would turn burner off then you would get cool water and then cycle back to hot.

Culprit was a screw through the wire from thermostat to back of heater which grounded it out. Fixed it by havin dealer run a new wire. Has worked great ever since!
Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Ours was the same issue and I explained it to the service writer who said he could not reproduce the problem, I am thinking the slide position might have had something to do with it since they always tested it with the slide closed.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

Happy to hear the grounding issue resolved your problem. I am considering ordering a 2015 340KP and this is the only major concern I have about the coach. Is it difficult to regulate the hot water for showers? Do you have to do a training session with your guests to ensure they have a decent shower without scolding or freezing water? I just don't want this tankless wh to be an issue every time we camp. Please elaborate on your comfort level with the product. Thank you!!
dndnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndnva View Post
Happy to hear the grounding issue resolved your problem. I am considering ordering a 2015 340KP and this is the only major concern I have about the coach. Is it difficult to regulate the hot water for showers? Do you have to do a training session with your guests to ensure they have a decent shower without scolding or freezing water? I just don't want this tankless wh to be an issue every time we camp. Please elaborate on your comfort level with the product. Thank you!!
I wouldn't say you need to train them but it is very different philosophy vs std water heater.

Basically all you do is use the hot knob. Full hot will give you the coolest water temp for the setting u have selected on thermostat in cabinet.
So with it set at normal or slightly above this gives us a nice hot shower with hot knob on full blast and cold knob off.
If you reduce the the hot knob thus reducing water flow through heater, you water temp at faucet head will get hotter.

Pretty simple but different!

The nice thing is once you get it dialed in you have non-stop hot water!
Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Yes by fixing the grounding issue the heating is working as designed. And as PSW757 says when used right you get a good shower. I have only showered once since I fixed the short so I have to dial in the knob in the shower cabinet to get the best result.

I did upgrade the shower head to the BodySpa sold at camping world and it was worth every penny.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #9

Thank you for the responses. That makes me feel a lot better. Pretty straight forward. Did either of you see the need for a special water regulator valve with gauge, different from a typical water regulator? I was reading on another forum that regulating to exactly 45psi made a big difference? Just wondering. I have always used a standard regulator w/o gauge but could definitely buy a different one if it makes a difference.
dndnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjoe3 View Post
Yes by fixing the grounding issue the heating is working as designed. And as PSW757 says when used right you get a good shower. I have only showered once since I fixed the short so I have to dial in the knob in the shower cabinet to get the best result.

I did upgrade the shower head to the BodySpa sold at camping world and it was worth every penny.
We did the body spa upgrade as well and it does improve the shower head pressure for a nice forceful shower.

I wish you could buy matching stainless knobs to install with the head and hose though, would give it a better overall look.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:20 AM   #11

dnd,

I threw my cheap regulator out. Next time I see and adjustable one with a gauge I will buy it. Most camp grounds seem to have low water pressure but I would like to know what is actually there.

I've heard that the coach may have a built in pressure regulator, does anyone know for sure?
Old 10-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

I'm 99.99 percent certain there is no built in regulator.

I use an adjustable watts branded regulator installed at campground faucet and have had it set at 50 psi all year..

The only regulator or restrictor I know of in the plumbing was a ball valve at kitchen sink. I blew mine out because I had slightly low pressure at that faucet. Dealer actually did that for me. I now have the same pressure at all faucets.

Tags
hot water, water