Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 05:12 PM   #1

How to Turn On /Control Furnace

MY Legacy is kept at an outdoor facility. It is on a concrete pad and has a roof over the pad. It has 50 amp electric hook up. We are getting the first freezing weather and I want to make sure I have the RV protected. I winterized the plumbing and tanks , bypassed and drained the hot water heater and set the AC/Heat Pump. When I checked on it today the heat pump was running but the temp inside the coach was 47 degrees (about the same as the outside temp). The thermostat for the heat pump was set at 65 degrees.

I looked to turn on the propane furnace but could not find any controls for it. The Precision Control touchpad only shows Living Room and Bedroom for Thermostat choices. Selecting Bedroom gives the choice of setting the rear AC for COOLING or for OFF and setting the fanspeedf. Selecting Living Room where the heat pump is located give the options of HEAT, COOL, or OFF with the same fan speed options.

I called the dealer who is 2.5 hours away and spoke to the service department. They did not know how to turn on the furnace. The owners guide that came with the coach gives no clue. It shows a thermostat that is not in mine.

Is it possible that the heat pump will automatically turn on the furnace if the heat pump cannot handle the required setting and ambient temperature outside? I know the furnace could not be turned on without the propane on, and it was not on. By the time that I got to this point the outside temperature was up to 60 degrees so the heat pump could then handle the demand alone. Therefore, I was not able to test the automatic theory with the propane on.

Anyone know how the furnace should work?.
North Carolina Mountains
scfishnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

It will be nice to find out how to control your furnace, but I have to ask 'why' you would want your propane to be used while your rig is in 'storage', especially if for the whole winter months.
If you have 50amp service, why not just plug in a few small temperature controlled space heaters? This way they don't get powered unless the inside temp really falls to a freezing temp, which is really to only time you need to be concerned about it anyway....nothing freezes, otherwise, whether there is water in the lines, or not.
On our similar rig, the Palazzo, you can also put a small heater down in the water bay, for the same purpose, and then you don't have to worry about winterizing your coach at all. The heat will take care of any issues.

Most of the time it takes REALLY cold weather temps, for a long, long period, to really cause any 'concerns'... most anything 'inside' of your coach is somewhat protected, anyway, only things that are outside and subject to the additional wind and effects of the temps would be suspect, but I doubt you have anything outside to worry about since your tanks are all inside your basement, your water and water systems are all inside, and you have access to 50amp power, which is just like if someone was living in the coach, only that you are not there with it.

We just moved from the western NC Blue Ridge mountains, and had our Palazzo in storage over the last several winters, with no issues - and I've never used winterizing 'fluid' or anything like that = only draining the lines. Leaving water in the water tank is usually also not a problem since it is within the basement, and bulk water takes a LOT more lower temps for a very long period to ever be a problem.

($16 temp controlled space heaters at w*mt and other stores - just turn OFF your inverter, and let the 50amp power take care of them)
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:36 AM   #3

Problem solved.

When propane is turned on, the heat pump automatically turns on the furnace if it is too cold for the heat pump. The heat pump fan continues to run providing the furnace heat through the duct work.
North Carolina Mountains
scfishnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

On mine, I select the living room, touch the HEAT/COOL button a few times till it show "Furnace"
one note: The original unit had a bug displaying the correct time after 9PM.
I contacted the vendor precision Circuits, INC. and they sent me an updated display.
It was a simple replacement, remove the old one, unplugged the cable harness and plug the new one in. A 3 minutes job.
I was also told they do offer firmware update if you no longer have warranty.

I hope this helps

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfishnman View Post
Problem solved.

When propane is turned on, the heat pump automatically turns on the furnace if it is too cold for the heat pump. The heat pump fan continues to run providing the furnace heat through the duct work.
But what if you don't want heat pump interaction just furnace?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #6

Furnace / Heat Pump Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfishnman View Post
Problem solved.

There is some misinformation here. In your 2018 unit, the operation of the furnace isn't based on exterior temps. If you select heat, & your inside temp is less than 5 degrees from the requested temp, your PrecPlex Touchscreen will use the Heat pump only. If your requested temp is more than 5 degrees from the actual temp, your PrecPlex Touchscreen will command on Heat Pump & Furnace until the requested & actual temps are within 3 degrees, then it will turn off the furnace & use the HP to attempt to maintain interior temperature.
On your 2018 Legacy, there is no cutout for Heat Pump operation based on exterior temperature.

If you have more questions please contact either
Mike Winterrowd
Warranty Plant 40
(574)296-9641
MWinterrowd@forestriverinc.com

or

Daniel Dinovo
Technical Support
Precision Circuits Inc
2538 Wisconsin Avenue
Downers Grove, IL 60515
630-515-9100 EXT-704
d.dinovo@precisioncircuitsinc.com
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #7

I need a little help with this also. How do I run the furnace without plugging in or running the generator. I tailgate in the north boondocking. I need to turn off my generator at midnight but I’ll still need heat till I can turn it back on at 7:00. With out power I turn on furnace from the control but nothing happens. 2018 legacy 340BH.
Favfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace