Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Interested in the Legacy

Ok...looks like wife is steering towards a diesel and is really liking the floor plans on the Legacys. Can anyone speak to the following:
Forrest River customer service
Forrest River quality and quality control
Does anyone have a 2016 Legacy? The good, the bad, and the ugly? Is the bunkhouse a good trade off for washer dryer...its just the two of us and 3 dogs...do we need the storage the BH provides?
This will be for full time.

Thanks,

Dave
MLnDavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:56 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

We've had our 2015 Legacy 360RB since last April. Have had some issues, but biggest was just lousy service from the dealer. We really like the coach; leaving on our six week spring trip in a couple of weeks. Have spent about eight weeks total so far in it. Our problems and some thing you'll just want to know:

1. Before you leave the dealer, check the exhaust tip. Didn't notice until we got home, but the factory had actually forgotten to install everything in the exhaust system aft of the DEF system. Major issue if it had gone into regen mode, but thank goodness we caught it before that.

2. We have the Girard on demand water heater; the new units have an Atwood. After contacting Girard and educating myself on how the on demand units work, I was able, with the help the help of Girard, to get the dealer to finally fix things even though they had no clue how it worked. Works great now, but does take some getting used to.

3. Had an internal leak in the hydraulic ram on the large slide that caused incomplete closing and very slow operation. Repaired, but the dealer messed around with it for six weeks doing so.

4. Compartments leaked, especially the front passenger side. Finally got into it myself and found the issue was a 3/8" gap between the top of the compartment walls and the bottom of the coach, right next to the wheel wells. Took an entire caulk gun size tube of silicone to fix it, but I think that's done with.

5. Check the spindle nuts on the wiper arms. The factory has been omitting the locking washers under the nuts and the wiper arms come loose while in use. Had to remove the last one and beat and bend it back into shape after it fell off and jammed under the other wiper arm. Replaced the lousy factory blades with some good ones - all better now.

6. Headlights are extremely poor. To drive at night, I have to supplement with either the high beams or the fog lights. With the fog lights you can see great.

7. Factory sound system is garbage. Speakers are two small (about 3") speakers mounted to the ceiling just aft of the electric bunk. You can barely hear them and sound quality is terrible. As for the GPS, I just found it unfriendly (my personal preference only). They say it's XM ready, but you'll have to get the XM receiver and install it yourself. That's not a problem (about $50 and five minutes) but they don't factory install the XM antenna. Only place to put it without drilling through the roof is on the dash. That gives you great reception when driving south, fair when driving east or west and none when headed north. I got a a Garmin 760 RV GPS and love it, so I only use the factory unit for the cameras. For music, we bought a small Bose Bluetooth speaker and sat it on the dash, then use our iPod. Beautiful sound, great performance - about $200.

8. Washer/Dryer is great for us but small capacity. If you're going to use it, be sure to leave your gray water valve open. Will shake the entire coach when it starts to spin, but to be expected. DO NOT use color catchers or similar in the washer unless you put them in a garment bag. It sucks them straight into the pump and clogs it. Personal experience there.

9. They've had some bad batches of the LED ceiling lights. Right now I've got six of the total twenty that are bad and I can't get the dealer to respond. FR has agreed to replace them, no questions, but the dealer simply won't make the request to FR and they need that request to send them to me.

Things we love?

1. The ride is great. Plenty of power towing our Jeep behind. Get around 11.0 to 12.5 mpg towing.

2. The electric bunk is great for our grandkids.

3. Plenty of room in the storage bays. I did switch out the bulbs in the bay's for LED.

4. Half bath up front is wonderful when the grandkids are over.

5. Shower is nice and roomy, as is the entire rear bath. Porcelain toilets are much nicer than the RV size plastic ones. The things you like when you get older!

In general, would probably buy again unless I could find a similar deal on a Tiffin. Sure it could be better, but I never expected to have it this nice anyway. Lots to digest. Yell if any other questions. Sorry to be so long winded. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:55 AM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

I just noticed where you're located so one more word of advice. We bought our Legacy from the "world's largest RV dealer" in Tampa (actually Seffner). The sales and finance folks were absolutely great to work with. Couldn't be happier with that experience. Their service department? I'd be very complimentary if I was to call them JUST sorry. Worst experience of my life. As I noted above, I've finally given up and I'm taking care of stuff on my own. They will flat out lie straight to your face and never bat an eye. Buyer beware!

Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
We've had our 2015 Legacy 360RB since last April. Have had some issues, but biggest was just lousy service from the dealer. We really like the coach; leaving on our six week spring trip in a couple of weeks. Have spent about eight weeks total so far in it. Our problems and some thing you'll just want to know:

1. Before you leave the dealer, check the exhaust tip. Didn't notice until we got home, but the factory had actually forgotten to install everything in the exhaust system aft of the DEF system. Major issue if it had gone into regen mode, but thank goodness we caught it before that.

2. We have the Girard on demand water heater; the new units have an Atwood. After contacting Girard and educating myself on how the on demand units work, I was able, with the help the help of Girard, to get the dealer to finally fix things even though they had no clue how it worked. Works great now, but does take some getting used to.

3. Had an internal leak in the hydraulic ram on the large slide that caused incomplete closing and very slow operation. Repaired, but the dealer messed around with it for six weeks doing so.

4. Compartments leaked, especially the front passenger side. Finally got into it myself and found the issue was a 3/8" gap between the top of the compartment walls and the bottom of the coach, right next to the wheel wells. Took an entire caulk gun size tube of silicone to fix it, but I think that's done with.

5. Check the spindle nuts on the wiper arms. The factory has been omitting the locking washers under the nuts and the wiper arms come loose while in use. Had to remove the last one and beat and bend it back into shape after it fell off and jammed under the other wiper arm. Replaced the lousy factory blades with some good ones - all better now.

6. Headlights are extremely poor. To drive at night, I have to supplement with either the high beams or the fog lights. With the fog lights you can see great.

7. Factory sound system is garbage. Speakers are two small (about 3") speakers mounted to the ceiling just aft of the electric bunk. You can barely hear them and sound quality is terrible. As for the GPS, I just found it unfriendly (my personal preference only). They say it's XM ready, but you'll have to get the XM receiver and install it yourself. That's not a problem (about $50 and five minutes) but they don't factory install the XM antenna. Only place to put it without drilling through the roof is on the dash. That gives you great reception when driving south, fair when driving east or west and none when headed north. I got a a Garmin 760 RV GPS and love it, so I only use the factory unit for the cameras. For music, we bought a small Bose Bluetooth speaker and sat it on the dash, then use our iPod. Beautiful sound, great performance - about $200.

8. Washer/Dryer is great for us but small capacity. If you're going to use it, be sure to leave your gray water valve open. Will shake the entire coach when it starts to spin, but to be expected. DO NOT use color catchers or similar in the washer unless you put them in a garment bag. It sucks them straight into the pump and clogs it. Personal experience there.

9. They've had some bad batches of the LED ceiling lights. Right now I've got six of the total twenty that are bad and I can't get the dealer to respond. FR has agreed to replace them, no questions, but the dealer simply won't make the request to FR and they need that request to send them to me.

Things we love?

1. The ride is great. Plenty of power towing our Jeep behind. Get around 11.0 to 12.5 mpg towing.

2. The electric bunk is great for our grandkids.

3. Plenty of room in the storage bays. I did switch out the bulbs in the bay's for LED.

4. Half bath up front is wonderful when the grandkids are over.

5. Shower is nice and roomy, as is the entire rear bath. Porcelain toilets are much nicer than the RV size plastic ones. The things you like when you get older!

In general, would probably buy again unless I could find a similar deal on a Tiffin. Sure it could be better, but I never expected to have it this nice anyway. Lots to digest. Yell if any other questions. Sorry to be so long winded. Good luck!

Very well stated. We have a 2015 340kp and love it. Actually on the road now for a month. We love the washer dryer to keep us out of the laundromat.
Not much I could add to that post. The 340 has a full wall slide that uses the Schwintek slide mechanism which is under engineered. We have not had an issue yet but it is not robust and will likely be a concern later on. Rumor has it, they are going to upgrade that to hydraulic like the 360's.
Ours drives like a dream and ditto, plenty of power towing a Jeep.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

We bought our 2016 Legacy in Greer SC. Had an inexperienced sales person where my wife & I seemed to know more about the coach than he did. Was willing to let us walk on a 2015 leftover because we couldn't get a price low enough to buy over a 2016. Kept telling us they didn't have a 2016 model even though one was listed on their website. Another sales person heard my wife & I talking and some how got the owner involved. Owner said that he hadn't seen a 2016 Legacy come across his desk sold in a couple weeks so it had to be there. He found got a good deal including XM radio installed. Every little thing we asked to be taken care of including replacing the LED lighting was done when we picked it up a couple of weeks later. Outside of that one sales person everyone else there has been a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately the motor home has basically just been sitting since we brought it home. Took it out to refuel and to the DMV to register it.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #6

We did look at the first Legacy at LazyDays when we were on vacation in FL. Unit had about 2x the miles on it than the factory is from there and the generator had almost 100 hours on it. Also some good scratches down the one side of it. Looked like someone had used it. Dealing with salesman & sales manager we didn't get the price down to what we paid in SC.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #7

We have been traveling and living in our 2015 Legacy SR340 360RB for almost 1 year. We LOVE our Legacy!!
We bought at the Hershey RV show and picked up at a dealer 3 hours from our home. The dealer also installed our Blue Ox tow package including the install of the plate on our tow (Honda CRV). The dealer let us stay in our new rig on hookups in their parking lot while they outfitted our tow. Best thing we did as a leak was detected on one of the levelers when it was extended and they could fix it. We decided to camp for 1 week about 30 minutes from the dealer, use everything and then we could stop back at the dealer if we had any issues. The leveler leaked again so we stopped back at the dealer after our week camping and they fixed it. An O ring. While we were at the dealer the hydralic pump stopped functioning. They let us stay again on their lot until the new replacement arrived.

Don't let the dealer rush through the delivery walk through. Ours took over 2 1/2 hours. We asked Lots of questions and recorded everything. That was very helpful later when we asked each other "what did they tell us"

To answer your questions
-Our dealings with Forest River have been pleasant. We have called Mitch several times for concerns and he is very helpful. Even talked with a mobile rv tech for us.
-As far as quality/ quality control,
*Forest River replaced our hydralic pump,
* our shower drain has a trapless fitting and that was not thightened enough at the factory and after traveling it loosened and we had a leak,
*the door strut, we now carry a spare as we are on our third one as the Texas winds whipped the door right out of our hand twice and the strut breaks off very easily.
*our front passenger side compartment has leaked, we need to be sure the door is tightly closed as the roof water is funneled off and down over that door.

- We love our stacked washer/dryer. We weren't sure we needed it, but we are so glad we have it! We did reinforce the floor under the washer/dryer with two upright posts. We don't miss the storage space. It is just the 2 of us. No pets. Don't take too much stuff with you!!!! You don't need it!! Cut back on your clothing/shoes/kitchen etc. We have found that we have ample storage in the basement and have plenty of cabinet space inside. We use plastic containers such as the shoe box size in some cabinets especially over the couch/table area, and large canvas bins under the bathroom sinks and large closet next to the shower. Our basement is mostly plastic bins. The under the bed size fit well under the chassis frame

- also we like having the 1/2 bath mid coach. works well when family and friends join us. Also when we are not on sewer hook ups we use this bath as the toilet uses a lot less water to flush.

- our sofa bed is large, but awkward and uncomfortable. we use an air mattress on top .

-Our Legacy rides nicely. We weren't looking for a diesel, but like you liked the layout and finishes. We have traveled down the east coast to the keys, then to Texas, South Padre Island, and Hill Country, now in the midwest and back to PA by May. We have not had ANY issues with the Frieghtliner chassis, transmission, generator, or engine. As far as the interior, so far everything is holding up well. It is an entry level coach so the finishes are not top of the line and we had to add a few latches on the cabinet above the microwave. We like the flooring. The sound system is not great. The tv antenna works well when we are close enough to populated areas.

- our roof is holding up very well.

Overall we Love our Legacy and would recommend it to others. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.

We wish you well in our full time lifestyle!
Beachbums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Glad to hear you're having a great experience, BeachBums! We love our Legacy, too (same model as yours). Just pulled into Fort Worth a few minutes ago for Night #12 of this trip; still have 3-1/2 weeks before we get back home. Take a look at my previous post for info that may offer a solution to your leaking compartment and the sound system. I plan to eventually replace the iTrak sound bar with a nicer one. Already upgraded the DVD to a Blu-Ray. Will possibly replace the antenna/cable switch box for a better one, too. We're having an issue with our washer not draining but they've decided it's the pump and Whirlpool will replace that when we get home. We can use it, just gave to play with it around the A10 errors caused by the slow draining. We had our problems with FR, but our dealer us the pits! Keep having fun!

Old 03-31-2016, 01:27 PM   #9

Love my Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLnDavo View Post
Ok...looks like wife is steering towards a diesel and is really liking the floor plans on the Legacys. Can anyone speak to the following:
Forrest River customer service
Forrest River quality and quality control
Does anyone have a 2016 Legacy? The good, the bad, and the ugly? Is the bunkhouse a good trade off for washer dryer...its just the two of us and 3 dogs...do we need the storage the BH provides?
This will be for full time.

Thanks,

Dave
We purchased our last summer and traded in our Holiday Rambler Gas coach. We love ours and did 6000 miles from July till we pulled it indoors in November and I still work full time.

Buy the washer and dryer....wife loves it...

Changed all the compartment lights to LED...Factory is always a big help. We picked a Black, Silver and White unit...we love the center door access

MPG is excellent....we paid $145,000 for the RV new and bought a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty with it for $4000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150919_090630_resized.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	103454   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3027.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	103455  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote