Old 05-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Internet Services With Verizon

I am investigating Verizon's unlimited cellular phone plans with a jetpack (used for a hotspot vs. using a phone as a hotspot) with a signal booster (extender). Want to improve my internet access for work while on the road.

Is this a good plan? Looking for recommendations. Thank you

jvenditte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

Seek out a member here named: Ependydad. I think he has the most experience in this area.

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

I do have a lot of experience, but Verizon has gotten more difficult. "Unlimited" doesn't always mean unlimited. The current Verizon unlimited plans limit you to 15-20gb of hotspot data before it slows down incredibly. If you need to exceed that cap, you need to look at one of the grandfathered truly unlimited plans and get it into a contract. It's a process called Assumption of Liability (AOL).

The absolute best resource is:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/unlimited

But, I have a light overview at:
Mobile Internet on the Road | Learn To RV

Hope that helps.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #4

Hi,

I have used Verizon all over the country, with consistently good results -- employing a hot spot off our smart phones.

My last two winters in Quartzsite I switched into the unlimited plan, then went back to my normal gig limit when I got home to my router. I never felt I was being throttled, but I am sure I never got to 15 gigs of use, either.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

I’m not sure of your definition of work while on the road. Are you on the road a lot or are you talking while camping and still having to work?

The 15-20 GB throttle back is per hotspot device. All the throttle back rates are per device. So, if you use a dedicated hotspot and reach the limit you could always use your phone as a back up hotspot. You married? Then your DW would have 15-20GB of hotspot usage before limit.

Unless you are streaming a lot of video for “work’ I doubt you would ever reach the throttle back limit....

Also, look into Beyond Unlimited with Verizon if you need more...

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #6
western NC mountains!

While we use AT&T Unlimited Plus while on the road, it's a very similar situation - we just use our phone hotspots to our laptops, computers, and devices... and no booster required. But, that's just us, we like to keep it simple.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
82,900 miles, US, Alaska, and Canada.. : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

I missed the part about extenders/boosters.

I started with a weBoost 4G Drive X and had decent success with it. I wrote about it and my wifi booster/camper network here:
Cellular, wifi, and networks – OH MY! | Learn To RV

More recently, I found (from RVMobileInternet.com) a Netgear Antenna that performs awesomely. It's specifically for hotspots really improves my speeds:
Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 Connectors | Learn To RV
Old 05-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #8

Using data while we sleep

Not happy with Verizon this trip, everyone I talked to at Verizon had a different story on how it worked. I use a Jet pack and my iPhone when needed as a personal Hotspot. I changed our plan to unlimited for the remaining time in our billing period after using all our data in a few days.

Then my plan changed back to 5GB/mo when the billing period ended, not sure what time the change took place, but in the morning I already used 8% of my billing period usage. Everything was off all night so if the change over took place at midnight I should have used zero data. If the change took place earlier I only did a few map searches so that should not use that much data.

We do not stream movies or music. I use it for news and trip planning and I read the news, no video. My wife uses it for news and her game daily challenges, no video either.

When I called Verizon we were using 1GB a day, this is while on the road, sight seeing and driving to our next adventures. That GB is being used in a hour a day verified by the Verizon rep I spoke to.

Problem is I do not know of a better alternative.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

Verizon Limited unlimited

Forgot to mention, under the unlimited plan the Jetpack is limited to 15GB then it gets throttled, slowed down big time. According to the last Verizon person I talked to your phone can be used as a personal hot spot and it will not be throttled. Makes no sense to me, I used the jetpack until they told me they were going to slow me down, then I switched to the phone and continued at full speed.

I think this would hurt you if you were depending on this plan for work, I don't think you can be using the phone as a hot spot while you are talking on that same phone.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #10

Router and jet pack

The version 4G jetpack can connect up to 15 devices. Is this essentially a router?

jvenditte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service