Old 08-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I MO you really have no choice besides taking it back to the factory. The leak could be from the roof and has affected more than the slide alone. If not fixed soon and properly you'll allow your unit to devalue dramatically account water damage and internal rotting. If the sidewall is comromised the entire side must be changed. Warranty isn't forever.
This is very true but if you catch this issue and get it documented with forest river than the warranty will be forever for this issue or lemon lawed and replaced depending on your state. The important thing here is to get this all documented and reported to Forest River before the 1 year warranty does expire.

Aeroshots,

Yes it does suck. I have already had to cancel a trip in October to Dollywood, Thanksgiving in Kentucky with family (we will hotel it now) and Christmas in Gatlinburg, TN....... I am taking my chances with 2 trips I have scheduled in September, hopefully I don't fall through the floor and slide can handle the weight and work just a couple more times.... I also feel like I'm getting a little push back from my local dealer because I did not buy the coach from them, hopefully I'm wrong about that but that's what it feels like. I called yesterday to schedule it and the second question they ask is did you buy it here. Then the conversation kind of went to the service manager is not in the office right now can he call you back. No call back yet.... I'll try one more time then I'll email my forest river rep.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 PM   #12

So sorry you are dealing with this. Don't hesitate to email and\or call the forest river guys. They are great in my opinion and will Work for you. Very good advise above to get it documented. Appreciate your posts and watching closely. We use our Legacy constantly and any such down time is a NOT.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #13

Spoke with Mitch Wirt at FR yesterday. They did refuse the Camping World estimate (4 weeks of labor) for the fix. He understands the trepidation I have at putting 6K miles on my rig for a defect fix. He recognizes they've had a few rigs with this same problem, and accept they have to fix mine. He is happy to have someone local to me repair it if the price is reasonable. Otherwise it has to go back to the factory. He said they new what the cause is (I'll see if I can get that from him and post) and there is a temp fix by putting 1/8" aluminum screwed to the bottom of the slide in the roller paths. If it needs to be in use before it can get to the factory for the fix. I have two trips in September and Two in October. I have a couple of local shops going to look at it. Of course I got the well, we didn't sell it to you routine. Luckily one I bought my previous rig from (really nice 31' Gulf Stream gasser), and the other the nearest FR authorized service center. I'll keep all posted with cause and fix info when I get it. FR seems to be stepping up.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #14

Seems the alum strip will do two things. It won't allow the rollers to shear through the slide bottom! And just as important it will realign the swinteck gears to center preventing motor failure.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Seems the alum strip will do two things. It won't allow the rollers to shear through the slide bottom! And just as important it will realign the swinteck gears to center preventing motor failure.
Yes, but as he said it is a temporary fix while waiting repairs. The root cause needs to be corrected.

As good of news as you could expect though considering the extreme water damage. Thank you for keeping us informed.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:42 AM   #16

Got my rig back from CW this morning and going to drop it at the local dealer Tuesday I mentioned before. I also called the Florida dealer referred to earlier in this thread to see how the fix to that rig was going, and what their estimate to fix was. Since it was being fixed I assumed it was approved warranty work. The tech there was really cooperative. She stated they were in the middle of it and just had the slide out and the membrane removed. She also told me their just under 40 hour estimate was approved, and they will finish in that time. They will seal the front edge corner of the slide as part of the work. I'll let all know what the local shop says as far as hours. I'm really PO'd at CW - where I bought my rig - for the 160 hour estimate. Proves to me they simply don't want to perform the work. Maybe because I bought it from a different CW. Don't know. Just seeing red.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #17

Does them sealing the front edge corner imply that they determined that to be the root cause?
Happy you are making some progress.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #18

We had a issue with kitchen slide where we had excessive wear on front rails and an impression from a roller on bottom but wasn't a soft floor water issue.

Somehow the slide was slightly out of alignment and was binding a bit and created some sagging in area of cooktop to sink.

Coach had to go back to Forest river they pulled slide and installed to spec installed new rails and add two additional rollers underneath slide. That slide is way too heavy for the way they have it engineered. Needs more rollers or a more robust operating system(hydraulic).

Works great now.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:49 PM   #19

Our slide is working fine at the moment but I agree it is quite under engineered. I have been watching this post closely.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #20
Plain Old Member

I thought FR had learned their lesson from the Thor Palazzo on the heavy slide vs. Schwintek deal. I guess maybe not. I little off of the Legacy subject, but there were several Cedar Creeks, including ours, that they didn't seal the bottom T-moulding on the bedroom slide. Had a soaked floor pretty quick, which ended up with a whole slide floor replacement.

Either way, something's leaking, and bad. I think it'll take a little more than a touch up of sealant to fix.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide