Old 08-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #1

Leak in black tank drain line

Started getting our Legacy ready for next trip, after not using it for last three weeks. Noticed a small splat of dried blue liquid inside the water/drain connection compartment. Found this pinhead size drip coming from black tank drain pipe. As shown in the picture, it appears to be coming from the connection between two pipes. We have had our Legacy for over a year and this has not occurred before. Fortunately I thoroughly flushed the black tank after last use. Then I put in a few gallons of water and some blue tank treatment, which is where the blue came from. I am hoping I can fix this by putting ABS sealant around the joint. I am still looking at it to make sure that is where the leak is vs running down from higher location. Any thoughts? Also, can someone explain to me how the drain piping is connected to the black tank, especially commenting on the hose clamp? Guess my Google search skills are lacking.

Thanks. - Dr JAGClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472410414.538027.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	118627

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #2

I think the challenge in sealing it without disassembly is getting it dry. My first thought is empty the tank of course, then somehow get a blower to move air through the tank system to dry. Then maybe try something like this
https://www.amazon.com/PR-1422-Aircr.../dp/B00DJAVVFQ
or
https://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Epoxy-P...ol+leak+sealer

My Legacy is at a dealer for some work, or I'd look closer at the connections.
Good luck.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions. Still pondering this. Best way is to replace everything, but don't think I could get that done before our next trip. I think I could get it dry by and then use ABS glue or Goop for plumbing. I could also use JB Weld Waterweld, which doesn't require it to be dry. Also considering wrapping it with self sealing silicone tape.

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

Here is another picture. Note the excess glue on the joint below the one that has the leak.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1472433349.551216.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	118673

Old 08-29-2016, 02:03 PM   #5

I had a leak in my ABS grey tank and consulted with the Service tech at my dealer. He recommended this product pictured below. It worked great.

You may want to check with your service guy if available or contact the MFG. I've never seen a hose clamp like that used for making up. waste tank seals. I'm wondering if it is a sign of a previous repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ABS Tank Repair Kit.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	613.1 KB
ID:	118742  
Nights Camped: 2015-140; 2016-137 YTD; 160 Planned
SimchaSabre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
I had a leak in my ABS grey tank and consulted with the Service tech at my dealer. He recommended this product pictured below. It worked great.

You may want to check with your service guy if available or contact the MFG. I've never seen a hose clamp like that used for making up. waste tank seals. I'm wondering if it is a sign of a previous repair.
Most likely a cracked coupling when it was installed with the hose clamp to hold it together. That is what it looks like to me, particularly sinc the hose clamp has black stuff on it, like some of the ABS cement Ive seen.

One possible solution is to remove the coupling *CAREFULLY* and after it is off, replace it with a flex coupling (called a Fernco) in the plumbing stores. It is rubber and uses a hose clamp on both ends. It will seal VERY well!

It is a very tight fit so use liquid dish soap to lube both pieces of pipe and inside the coupling so it slides on more easily. tighten the clamps and you are done

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. Regarding the clamp, there is also one on the pipe from the grey tank. In googling, this, I found references to clamps being used to connect the drain pipes to the tank. Also, it's hard to see in the pictures, but the clamp does not appear to be around the section of pipe that is leaking. It is around a pipe with a slightly smaller diameter. Maybe some other Legacy owners could see it theirs are connected this way too.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #8

Both of mine are that way also. I looks to me like, to make the connection between the ABS pipe and the tank, a slip-to-male-thread adapter, glued to the ABS pipe, was inserted into a larger sleeve that is molded as part of the tank. Then, either the sleeve was heated (my guess), or possibly some sealant applied to the joint, or both, and then the hose clamp was tightened to press the tank sleeve onto the ABS threads to form a seal.

Bill

Tags
black, black tank, drain, leak, tank