Old 01-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #61

Never assume. Get to a scale before buying.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
Spoke to the factory yesterday. They agree that the published weights for the Legacy are way off. The Legacy is substantially lighter than the Berkshire. My 2014 Berk RB is rated at 25,249 lbs shipping weight and 31,000 lbs GVWR. These weights are right off the Certificate of Origin and are within 100 lbs of the yellow sticker on the door. They are in the process of upgrading the web site to correct this. That is how the Legacy achieves such high MPG ( as high as 12 MPG) with only a 300 hp. One of the delivery drivers for Forrest River reported getting the 12 mpg delivering a unit to the west coast. My original paperwork on the Legacy stated 28,000 lbs GVWR. Assuming carry capacity is similar that's a 3000 lb difference.
I don't think the stickers are incorrect. Those are regulated by dot if I'm not mistaken. I called freightliner since I'm having my coach weighed next week. Was told that the 2013 xcs chassis is a 26k gvw and 30k gcwr.

The 2014 xcs is indeed a 28k/33 combined rating. The 2014 berkshire with 300hp is on same chassis as legacy. All others are on the xcr.

The rep referred me to a freightliner chart that covers all the mfgs of coaches on the freightliner chassis and you can see all the specs, pretty nice feature.

The link is freightlinerchassis.com

Old 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #63

The stickers are not always correct and I can't stress how import and it is to weigh your MH before you buy it. Even if you have already made the purchase It still needs to be weighed to correctly adjust the tire pressure. This is a safety issue.
The Berkshire is not the same chassis as the Legacy. The Berkshire is on the XCR chassis the Berkshire also has a 340 hp or 360 hp 6.7 Cummins. There is a big difference in the two chassis. I'm not saying one is better but that us up to the intended use.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:04 PM   #64

Phil57 is correct, I have a 2014 berkshire and it is on freight liners XCR chassis. The two chassis are very different. The XCS chassis is used on the smaller diesel chassis like the palazzo and legacy. The 2014 Berkshire's have the beefed up chassis which put bigger tires, airbags and greater GVWR. Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 01-09-2014, 07:36 PM   #65

The FCCC page lists a 300hp 2014 Berkshire, along w/ the Legacy, both on the XCS. May never exist, but may be the source of confusion/debate/etc

click on Forest River:

Built On Freightliner
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottawonder View Post
The FCCC page lists a 300hp 2014 Berkshire, along w/ the Legacy, both on the XCS. May never exist, but may be the source of confusion/debate/etc

click on Forest River:

Built On Freightliner
It does exist because we looked at two berkshires which said such. There was a 2013 390 with a 300 hp and 28k wt and there is now a 2014 36 foot berkshire and yes it is a berk.

In fact all the 2014 360 and 390 berkshire with the 340 cummins USB are all 28k/33k rigs. Doesn't get heavier until you move up to the 40foot models.

When we started shopping the legacy the forest river rep made it a point to hammer home that the legacy and 39 foot berkshire are on the exact same chassis. They are now building a rear bath 39 foot legacy as well.

A bunch if the competitor 36ft coaches aren't a true 36 ft. I think the palazzo, forza,solei,sportscoach,are 34-34.5 ft coaches and 26k gvw.

Hopefully this clears up the confusion.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #67

The Legacy is built on a flat frame while the Berkshire is built on a raised rail frame giving it the larger storage bay. I was just at the factory in November and they sure to point this out in the tour I was given. They are not the same frame.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #68

You can tell the chassis by the step in the bath or bedroom depending on the model. The XCR the R stands for raised rail and will have a full pass through basement. The Legacy has a limited pass through. I don't see a 36' Berkshire listed on the on line brochure. They are two different chassis. The GVW listed on the Legacy is 10500 FA 17500 RA gvwr at 33000. The hitch lists a 10000lb but only a capacity of 5000lb. I can tell you that the 2500 Allison Transmission limits the GVCW to 33,000. The totals don't sound right. Thats why I say to weigh the MH BEFORE you buy it. Consider the mission for the MH and buy the MH that will work for you. Do not trust anything but the scale.You will put somewhere around 800-1000 lbs of gear in the MH. add the weight of water at 8lbs per gal most likely carry around 40 gal or so. It all adds up. The Legacy is a beautiful MH and worth a close look.
Another look at the Berkshire i see the GVW listing is 29500 reflecting the beefed up FA to 12000. This is the same chassis as the 2008-2013. The FA was updated but is still limited on the 340 HP 2500 Allison transmission to 33000.
I know that FR moves faster in the engineering dept than the marketing dept can update the brochures so the info I have access to could not be correct. If you want to know what chassis you have call Freightliner and give them the VIN. they will give you all the info you want.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
The Legacy is built on a flat frame while the Berkshire is built on a raised rail frame giving it the larger storage bay. I was just at the factory in November and they sure to point this out in the tour I was given. They are not the same frame.
You are correct, my mistake. For some reason freight liner is listing one of the Berkshire on a xcs, must be typo.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
You can tell the chassis by the step in the bath or bedroom depending on the model. The XCR the R stands for raised rail and will have a full pass through basement. The Legacy has a limited pass through. I don't see a 36' Berkshire listed on the on line brochure. They are two different chassis. The GVW listed on the Legacy is 10500 FA 17500 RA gvwr at 33000. The hitch lists a 10000lb but only a capacity of 5000lb. I can tell you that the 2500 Allison Transmission limits the GVCW to 33,000. The totals don't sound right. Thats why I say to weigh the MH BEFORE you buy it. Consider the mission for the MH and buy the MH that will work for you. Do not trust anything but the scale.You will put somewhere around 800-1000 lbs of gear in the MH. add the weight of water at 8lbs per gal most likely carry around 40 gal or so. It all adds up. The Legacy is a beautiful MH and worth a close look.
Another look at the Berkshire i see the GVW listing is 29500 reflecting the beefed up FA to 12000. This is the same chassis as the 2008-2013. The FA was updated but is still limited on the 340 HP 2500 Allison transmission to 33000.
I know that FR moves faster in the engineering dept than the marketing dept can update the brochures so the info I have access to could not be correct. If you want to know what chassis you have call Freightliner and give them the VIN. they will give you all the info you want.
I did confirm this today with freightliner since it is their chassis. They reaffirmed the 28k gvw. I know we won't be pushing it that hard and I will know my exact weights next week.

Based on 40 gallons water, full diesel, propane, gear from old coach have a good idea from previous weighing and myself, wife and kids I'm expecting it to weigh in right around 25k and this is based on the dry weight of 21800 confirmed by freightliner. Our toad is 4200. We should be good.

I will post the weights when I get them.

The Legacy has the 2500 tranny as well thus the higher weights. Most other branded coaches of similar size have the 2100 tranny limiting them to 26k/30k

You are correct about the 10k hitch but really only have about 5k to play with maybe a bit more depending on how close you load it to the gvw.

« - | New Legacy SR 300 »