Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #21

I am flying into Florida. What are the dates of the rally?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbt803 View Post
Not going to the FROG but attending the Tampa rv supershow. Debbie you will have no trouble driving the bigger class A. Check out the Lazy Day videos for driving. They are a great help. I look forward to checking out the new rvs side by side. I love my berkshire but would like to change a few things like the step up near the bed, the loveseat,and the tv hidden behind the slide. I too have to address the weight issue, hopefully in March.
Some much has changed in the last 3 years and they keep getting better.
Debbie

Thanks. I have watched those videos several times and made my husband watch them as well! Very informative, and very scary at the same time! I'm not sure what y'all are saying about a weight issue, I'll have to review these threads and find out. Thanks
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbt803 View Post
I am flying into Florida. What are the dates of the rally?

Jan 21-25th I'm fairly sure there are some spots available
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #24

Debbie some of the Berkshire mostly the RB model where built over weight on the FA. There is a option for a 12000 lb front axel and larger tires. If you opt for that and get the 360 hp you will not have a problem.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #25

I am afraid to drive my rv in the winter but I am missing all the fun!!!!! Next winter will be different!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #26

I won't drive in bad weather. We have a week or so window to leave MI depending on the roads. I don't blame you these 40 " sports cars are not very sure footed. I did it last year and never again. Roads get bad and the feet go down slides out and wait it out.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #27

Phil,
We are planning on leaving around the 17th. If there is bad weather coming up around then we may leave earlier. Heading to Gaffney first to get the coach looked at. Have a shimmy that I would like them to try and resolve.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Debbie some of the Berkshire mostly the RB model where built over weight on the FA. There is a option for a 12000 lb front axel and larger tires. If you opt for that and get the 360 hp you will not have a problem.
Interesting ... I wonder if the Legacy is over weight as well - it only has the Cummins ISB 300 Engine and Allison 2500 transmission .... thoughts? I sure wouldn't want to buy one that is already over weight. That is a problem with some of the Class C's. I weighed my Solera and it is about 100 lbs over weight when loaded.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #29

I postponed taking my rv back to the factory until March because of the weather. Everyone getting on the road safe travels!
Debbie I haven't seen the Legacy but was interested because of the shorter length but you get so much more living space with the berkshire 4 slides.
They are coming out with a 3rd legacy with a rear bath but will be closer to 39ft.
Let us know your opinion of both units. Which berkshire are you looking at. If I trade up I like the rear bath because you have a flat walk around the bed but I also like the idea of the front living with a recliner and fireplace. I do not like the step up to make the bed.
What will happen to the 390's rv with the coming of the legacy and 400?
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #30
Director, FROG

The Legacy does, indeed, have a propane tank, since both the on-demand (or "continuous") hot water system uses propane, as does your range top. (I don't know the size, though). The refrigerator, on the other hand, doesn't use propane. It's a residential refrigerator that runs on electricity only, and has a beefed-up battery bank to handle it.

That's the set-up that our Berkshire has. Even with only a 24 gallon tank, we go a month or more in "normal" conditions on the road without having to refill. When we're home in northern Indiana in the winter, experiencing single-digit temps some nights, we might have to fill every ten days.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #31

I'll know more tomorrow after we go touch and feel them! I'm leaning more toward the Legacy because it is somewhat shorter in length (36 ft instead of almost 40 ft of a Berkshire) and I really think I would like a mid ship entry ... and I don't think I want a big slide out the passenger side where we sit and have our "outdoor" time. The Legacy does have a back slide on that side, but it is small and not quite in the way. At least that is what it seems. Again, won't really know until we physically see them tomorrow. Thanks, for all the info.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
The Legacy does, indeed, have a propane tank, since both the on-demand (or "continuous") hot water system uses propane, as does your range top. (I don't know the size, though). The refrigerator, on the other hand, doesn't use propane. It's a residential refrigerator that runs on electricity only, and has a beefed-up battery bank to handle it.

That's the set-up that our Berkshire has. Even with only a 24 gallon tank, we go a month or more in "normal" conditions on the road without having to refill. When we're home in northern Indiana in the winter, experiencing single-digit temps some nights, we might have to fill every ten days.
Thanks Bob ... quit working and enjoy your day off!!!! See you in St. Augustine ... are you ready for Ed again????
Old 01-01-2014, 07:29 PM   #33
Director, FROG

Looking forward to seeing all of you and everyone else when we hit St. Augustine.

By the way, Ed gave Cindy a restaurant recommendation for New Orleans when she went there for our grandson's seminary / master's degree graduation a couple of weeks ago. Everyone went to Copeland's on Ed's advice and absolutely loved it.

See you there!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #34

I'm surprised there isn't a Legacy page yet. FR is cranking them out and I'm sure there will be a large owners group looking for info. Might be early yet.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I'll know more tomorrow after we go touch and feel them! I'm leaning more toward the Legacy because it is somewhat shorter in length (36 ft instead of almost 40 ft of a Berkshire) and I really think I would like a mid ship entry ... and I don't think I want a big slide out the passenger side where we sit and have our "outdoor" time. The Legacy does have a back slide on that side, but it is small and not quite in the way. At least that is what it seems. Again, won't really know until we physically see them tomorrow. Thanks, for all the info.
DebbieMH: Looking forward to your "review" of the Legacy. Been reading specs and looks like a really nice unit. Be sure and drive it while you're there. With Salesman on board, he won't let you get into any trouble with it! Don't know that you'll have a chance to drive far enough to get really comfortable, but you will get used to the size of it fairly quickly. DPs ride like a dream!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #36

Got to look, feel and finally drive a Legacy today. Really liked the layout, liked the feel. The outside storage was a bit disappointing, actually looks like less usable space than our Solera! And there was not an outside electric outlet

However, everything else was good. Liked the bath, bedroom, etc. The salesman was bound and determined not to let us drive it until we have made a "deal". Since there wasn't anyone else there that might buy at the moment, when we were leaving, he finally said he would take us to drive it. Well ... that was interesting. I've never had air brakes before, quite touchy things, aren't they? The wind was blowing about 20-25 mph and could really feel it and when semi's passed, we were given quite a push.

But, all in all ... I do think if we took the driving course at Lazy Days and really took it slow and steady, we could learn to drive it. I've also read on here about beefing up the steering with "Steer Safe"? Anyway, something to think about.

Not going to pull the trigger right now .... going to wait at least until after the St. Augustine Rally. There I can talk at leisure with others that have an A and their driving experiences.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #37

I added the steer safe to my Berkshire and I feel it helps. You will love driving the class A. As a woman driver this forum was a great help for questions and support. Just take your time and enjoy!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Got to look, feel and finally drive a Legacy today. Really liked the layout, liked the feel. The outside storage was a bit disappointing, actually looks like less usable space than our Solera! And there was not an outside electric outlet

However, everything else was good. Liked the bath, bedroom, etc. The salesman was bound and determined not to let us drive it until we have made a "deal". Since there wasn't anyone else there that might buy at the moment, when we were leaving, he finally said he would take us to drive it. Well ... that was interesting. I've never had air brakes before, quite touchy things, aren't they? The wind was blowing about 20-25 mph and could really feel it and when semi's passed, we were given quite a push.

But, all in all ... I do think if we took the driving course at Lazy Days and really took it slow and steady, we could learn to drive it. I've also read on here about beefing up the steering with "Steer Safe"? Anyway, something to think about.

Not going to pull the trigger right now .... going to wait at least until after the St. Augustine Rally. There I can talk at leisure with others that have an A and their driving experiences.
DebbieMH: Don't know about a salesman who wants you to buy a coach without driving it first! He's either lazy or stupid!

How far did you test drive it?

You'll probably find a 110V outlet inside one of the storage compartments rather than an outside wall - maybe more than one! You'll get used to the air brakes. Yes they are sensitive - but my solera's brakes felt sort of spongy, And you won't need to use them as much since you'll have a pac-brake (great for coming down mountains!!!)
Old 01-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #39

There is a 110V in the storage compartment, but I really like to run a fan outside during hot, buggy weather ... and bringing the coffee pot out in the mornings. Guess I can run an extension cord and just leave the storage compartment door ajar.

Our daughter is going to move out sometime this spring/summer. We are now giving some thought to selling our S&B house in Alabama and living in the Legacy at a campground near work during the week. Then go back to our NOLA S&B on Friday through Monday.

We are going to sell it when we officially "retire" anyway, so why not go ahead and do it and get rid of those financial obiligations???? Anyway - lots to think about.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Our daughter is going to move out sometime this spring/summer. We are now giving some thought to selling our S&B house in Alabama and living in the Legacy at a campground near work during the week. Then go back to our NOLA S&B on Friday through Monday.
WOW! Before we know it you'll be a full-timer!

« - | New Legacy SR 300 »