Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
WOW! Before we know it you'll be a full-timer!
No .. kinda a part time full timer!!! If there is such a thing. Who knows - but it does make sense, lesson the burden! And our Al house requires much more than our NOLA house and we aren't ever there except to sleep and pay the bills a couple days a week! The majority of the time we are either in New Orleans or traveling in the Solera (Enterprise). Might be time to get a bigger starship to explore strange, new worlds ....
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
No .. kinda a part time full timer!!! If there is such a thing. Who knows - but it does make sense, lesson the burden! And our Al house requires much more than our NOLA house and we aren't ever there except to sleep and pay the bills a couple days a week! The majority of the time we are either in New Orleans or traveling in the Solera (Enterprise). Might be time to get a bigger starship to explore strange, new worlds ....
Or maybe a full time part timer!
Does make sense. Real estate market is doing well here - don't know about Alabama. Take that money and blow it all at once! Before I know it you guys will be driving a Newell!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #43

As a previous Legacy owner I can offer the following thoughts keeping in mind the Legacy was my first RV
1) for just two adults it has a great layout and a bigger bathroom than most 40 footers
2) bedroom in back has a very nice layout and plenty of storage
3) 300 hp Cummings has plenty of power and spunk and very good on gas- we were ave over 11.3 mpg when we traded it in with 4500 miles on it
We have since traded up to the Berkshire and the ride and drive are superior in every way. I find it much more relaxing to drive than the legacy. Does not sway and bob as much as the lighter Legacy. In my option the Berkshire for the money is by far the better value. The space, finishing touches , tile floor, fireplace( we have the RB) etc are very nice. I am a rookie RV owner but a Veteran boat owner ( all wastes of money) so I know what I am talking about in build fit and finish. My last point is since you drive so much make sure you drive both on the highway before you buy. Any dealer that won't help you do this is not someone you want to be buying from anyway. Good luck
Terrilegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
We have since traded up to the Berkshire and the ride and drive are superior in every way. I find it much more relaxing to drive than the legacy. Does not sway and bob as much as the lighter Legacy. In my option the Berkshire for the money is by far the better value. The space, finishing touches , tile floor, fireplace( we have the RB) etc are very nice.
Thanks for your insight ... do you have the beefed up front axel and larger tires that Phil57 referred to earlier on your RB?
Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #45

I just looked it up - according to the specs, the Legacy is heavier than the Berkshire RB, not by much, but a little bit. I think the real difference in the stability is probably the wheelbase. Legacy is only 208 vs 252 for the Berkshire RB.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #46

Quote:
Thanks for your insight ... do you have the beefed up front axel and larger tires that Phil57 referred to earlier on your RB?

All of the 2014 berk's are on the beefed up freight liner chassis. I ordered mine back in April and before I ordered I spoke with Randy (forest river diesel rep) and he stated that all of the new berk's regardless of floorplan are on the new chassis. Mine arrived at my dealer in July and it was on the new chassis with larger tires, airbags and a higher gvwr. I traded up from a 34 foot class a gas to the berk and all I can say is I'd never go back!!! The ride and handling of the berk is just awesome!!! Good luck with your search!!

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #47

Quote:
There is a 110V in the storage compartment, but I really like to run a fan outside during hot, buggy weather ... and bringing the coffee pot out in the mornings. Guess I can run an extension cord and just leave the storage compartment door ajar.

I use the storage compartment outlet with an extension cord. No need to leave the door ajar. There's plenty of play in the rubber gasket to have a power cord pass through with the door shut. I have the cord come out underneath the door rather than between it and the adjacent door.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
I use the storage compartment outlet with an extension cord. No need to leave the door ajar. There's plenty of play in the rubber gasket to have a power cord pass through with the door shut. I have the cord come out underneath the door rather than between it and the adjacent door.
I had thought the same, but not having seen a Legacy, was unsure what kind of gaskets they're using. Some types of moulding will take a "set" if compressed for too long, but I can't imagine they would use that for weatherstripping one of those compartments. At any rate, plugged into one of the interior compartments (lockable) makes it less likely the power cord may grow legs and walk off!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:58 PM   #49

Quote:
I just looked it up - according to the specs, the Legacy is heavier than the Berkshire RB, not by much, but a little bit. I think the real difference in the stability is probably the wheelbase. Legacy is only 208 vs 252 for the Berkshire RB.
We just picked up our new Legacy a week ago and love it so far although we haven't camped yet. The 70 mile drive home we averaged 11.8 mpg and coming from a 31 ft class c that was loaded to the max, the legacy drives like a dream. It was windy the day I drove it home and wasn't all over the place and you also don't feel the big rigs blowing you around when they pass either.

There are a couple different electrical outlets in various storage bays and regarding the storage which was a initial concern for me as well after getting it home and loaded I find it to be more than adequate. I think there is quite more than it seems when looking at it on the lot.

If you buy just make sure you weigh the coach and have your tire pressure set correctly, most dealers have it set near max.

Good luck!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #50

Couple of Pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	44586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	44587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	44588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	44589  
Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #51

Great looking coach!! Congrats and here's wishing you many fun, memorable and trouble free trips!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #52

Hi Debbie. I moved up from a 32 foot class C to a Berk last summer and understand your concerns with moving to a bigger coach. I wondered if it would too big to handle. I will say that I should have started with the A. I find that it is much less stressful to travel in overall. You just need to realize the size limitations that come with a bigger vehicle. With air ride, air brakes, etc., it is a pleasure to drive.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #53

Psw757. Congrats! And thanks for posting the pics! Beautiful.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #54

I can tell you from someone who has owned and driven both there is no way the Legacy is heavier than the Berkshire. The Berkshire is longer has a bigger transmission. He'll the ceramic tile must add 800 to 1000 lbs that has to be a misprint. I am looking at the specs and you are correct is says the legacy is heavier but I am telling you that is wrong
Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrilegacy View Post
I can tell you from someone who has owned and driven both there is no way the Legacy is heavier than the Berkshire. The Berkshire is longer has a bigger transmission. He'll the ceramic tile must add 800 to 1000 lbs that has to be a misprint. I am looking at the specs and you are correct is says the legacy is heavier but I am telling you that is wrong
The specified weight is GVWR. It is quite possible that the empty weight is lower than the Berkshire. Perhaps Legacy owners will have a greater CCC. Any owners want to report on what their yellow stickers say?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielJ View Post
The specified weight is GVWR. It is quite possible that the empty weight is lower than the Berkshire. Perhaps Legacy owners will have a greater CCC. Any owners want to report on what their yellow stickers say?
I think you are correct with this assumption. I will look at the yellow sticker tomorrow as I don't recall the exact number but I do remember it being higher than expected. Gvw is 28k and I haven't weighed my coach yet but I'm guessing it will end up being in the 24-25k Range loaded. There is no way it is heavier than the Berkshire. One other thing I did notice was all of the other 34-36 foot coaches we looked at had gvw's of 26k so the legacy may indeed have a heavier frame than the others.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #57

Weights

Got a chance to look at the yellow sticker today. The dry weight of coach was 21800 and the Ccc weight is 6005 lbs. hopefully this helps.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #58

Yeah my Berkshire 390rb-60 is 25180 dry and ccc of 5020
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #59

If I recall, some of the older RB models had a CCC of closer to 2000. The empty weight of the legacy does appear to be lower even though the GVWR is slightly higher.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #60

Spoke to the factory yesterday. They agree that the published weights for the Legacy are way off. The Legacy is substantially lighter than the Berkshire. My 2014 Berk RB is rated at 25,249 lbs shipping weight and 31,000 lbs GVWR. These weights are right off the Certificate of Origin and are within 100 lbs of the yellow sticker on the door. They are in the process of upgrading the web site to correct this. That is how the Legacy achieves such high MPG ( as high as 12 MPG) with only a 300 hp. One of the delivery drivers for Forrest River reported getting the 12 mpg delivering a unit to the west coast. My original paperwork on the Legacy stated 28,000 lbs GVWR. Assuming carry capacity is similar that's a 3000 lb difference.

« - | New Legacy SR 300 »