Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

Legacy Cover for outdoor storage

So I have lots of room to park my Legacy on grass for the winter. I have a few questions. Better parked on grass, gravel or hard surface and is the difference worth the cost of install. Second, should I have 30 or 50 amp power for it to plug to and run some heat? Still need to winterize in Central NC? Final question, who knows a good cover that is nice and tight and fits well!

Thanks!
jhall1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
So I have lots of room to park my Legacy on grass for the winter. I have a few questions. Better parked on grass, gravel or hard surface and is the difference worth the cost of install. Second, should I have 30 or 50 amp power for it to plug to and run some heat? Still need to winterize in Central NC? Final question, who knows a good cover that is nice and tight and fits well!

Thanks!

My opinions:

1. I would park it on the grass with the leveler she down and the coach leveled. However, I would suggest some type of lumber under the tires and the leveler feet to Jeep them off the ground.

2. It's going to be too cold in NC to use the heat pump alone, do the furnace is going to be your best bet. You'll most likely have to refill the propane at some point, though, so be prepared to go do, probably more than once, depending on the temp you maintain. For running the furnace, 30A should be fine. In my old RV (30A), I actually ran the whole coach year round in the drive using a 20A outlet. Would run everything at once EXCEPT the microwave. You will want to keep your batteries charged as the furnace is 12V.

3. Not sure where in Central NC you are but I would say definitely need to winterized it. I lived in TN, just over the NC line, many years ago and actually saw temps as low as like -20F. I live in central FL now, so I don't winterized, but we get maybe one night a year that it even gets close to 32F.

4. As for the cover, simply can't help you except to say I personally would be hesitant to run the furnace with a cover on. Hate to say it, but I think I'd look into investing in an open sided garage for it.

Good luck! Again, just my opinion, not gospel. Lots of folks out there will have different ideas and nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:44 AM   #3

Legacy Cover for outdoor storage

Thanks, great input.

Wish I could keep water in the tanks all winter but no idea if I have any heat strips to keep it from freezing.
jhall1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #4

cover

I use a cover as well during the winter....seems to make a difference...no need to drain tanks....now working on daughters first camper as a christmas gift..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14595704_10209095185410076_1975763723880925137_n.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	122688  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #5

Personally, I'd stay away from any type of removable car cover. Can't imagine the size of it folded. Basically a huge tent in size and challenging to install/remove.

Tags
cover, door, storage