Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Based on performance, quality and value, how satisfied are you with your Legacy?
Very Satisfied 12 57.14%
Somewhat Satisfied 4 19.05%
Somewhat Unsatisfied 3 14.29%
Very Unsatisfied 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Legacy evaluation so far?

We currently have a 2014 Georgetown that has been plagued with a bevvy of problems in our first year of ownership. We get the whole "first year issues" thing, but we are talking 4 separate slide failures, roof fiberglass issues, and about 20 additional things that have keep the coach in the shop for 6 weeks so far, and another estimated three weeks to finish up some issues this fall.

The Legacy is a coach that we would consider moving to, as we like the floorplan, styling, and certainly long for a smother ride with a DP.

I'd like to hear from those of you who own, or have owned, a Legacy. Are you satisfied with the coach so far? I've noted a few early issues w/ the legacy (leaking bays, slide issues, solenoid on refr) but were those corrected under warranty to your satisfaction?

I'm really only interested in hearing from those who own, or have owned, the Legacy.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

In all fairness to Forest River many of the problems we experienced should have been fixed by our dealer. I just fixed one issue by myself that I asked the dealers service department to address at least 3 times. I believe the other issues I am having could also be fixed quickly and completely by a competent service department.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #3

So far, not too bad

Mike -

There are some manufacturing issues that I have posted previously about (water in my rig basement that is a manufacture defect--but it is getting fixed). Overall, its a good rig and you can expect some issues. I have not experienced leaking or malfunctioning slides. Buying an RV is just like buying a new house. Cost about the same (sometimes even more-depends where you live).There are issues and you have to work with the builder to collect the punch list to get stuff fixed. Expect it. There is nothing new about this either. The key is to work with FR and call consistently to get them to work out and move forward the issues so they don't linger.

I have a good FR Warranty rep at the factory and he has been really good in keeping the communication lines open. I recently discovered that I have a faulty propane regulator valve on my 45 day old Legacy that leaked out all 25 gal of propane. FR is going to foot the bill for all of it. No problems. Are they to blame for the faulty valve? Its debatable. I don't think they would put one in that is substandard and risk their reputation on it. However, I have had things happen in the past to my house that needed fixing when the house was brand new ( had plaster falling off the ceiling in a brand new house). So stuff happens, but overall I think that the Legacy is a well built machine and Im glad that I picked it over the Palazzo as the quality of construction is better and more luxurious. Very happy and Im working to get the issues worked out. Most are minor.
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrob View Post
Mike -

There are some manufacturing issues that I have posted previously about (water in my rig basement that is a manufacture defect--but it is getting fixed). Overall, its a good rig and you can expect some issues. I have not experienced leaking or malfunctioning slides. Buying an RV is just like buying a new house. Cost about the same (sometimes even more-depends where you live).There are issues and you have to work with the builder to collect the punch list to get stuff fixed. Expect it. There is nothing new about this either. The key is to work with FR and call consistently to get them to work out and move forward the issues so they don't linger.

I have a good FR Warranty rep at the factory and he has been really good in keeping the communication lines open. I recently discovered that I have a faulty propane regulator valve on my 45 day old Legacy that leaked out all 25 gal of propane. FR is going to foot the bill for all of it. No problems. Are they to blame for the faulty valve? Its debatable. I don't think they would put one in that is substandard and risk their reputation on it. However, I have had things happen in the past to my house that needed fixing when the house was brand new ( had plaster falling off the ceiling in a brand new house). So stuff happens, but overall I think that the Legacy is a well built machine and Im glad that I picked it over the Palazzo as the quality of construction is better and more luxurious. Very happy and Im working to get the issues worked out. Most are minor.
Irob
I agree with everything you said, well put.

We too had the bad propane regulator discovered it in the middle of a trip and called a mobile repair service to come out and take care of it. If we didn't, no propane. As soon as you open regulator it stunk up our patio area, very apparent leak.

Anyway the bill was $250 and Forest River covered it all, they sure do stand behind their product and makes it easy to deal with nuisance items like this.

We've been very happy with our Legacy and based on our research We think both the Legacy and Berkshire are two of the nicest coaches in this segment and price point.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

psw757
Thanks. Its hard as everyone on this forum knows. Let's face it, we have all spent ALOT of money and we want it to be right. Whether you are a full timer or part time RVer (as most of us are) there is a huge price point to get in the game and we all just want it to work. In reality, these are incredible machines that are made by humans so there are going to be flaws. Best intentions sometimes are not good enough.
I try to keep that in perspective and mostly Im just extremely blessed to live in a country, thankful, and grateful to have the income to have a luxury item like this. Not everyone in America can do this, let alone the rest of the world, so we have to all be grateful and take our lumps sometimes. Its not that bad when you really look at it.

Just a thought...
Old 10-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrob View Post
psw757
Thanks. Its hard as everyone on this forum knows. Let's face it, we have all spent ALOT of money and we want it to be right. Whether you are a full timer or part time RVer (as most of us are) there is a huge price point to get in the game and we all just want it to work. In reality, these are incredible machines that are made by humans so there are going to be flaws. Best intentions sometimes are not good enough.
I try to keep that in perspective and mostly Im just extremely blessed to live in a country, thankful, and grateful to have the income to have a luxury item like this. Not everyone in America can do this, let alone the rest of the world, so we have to all be grateful and take our lumps sometimes. Its not that bad when you really look at it.

Just a thought...
Well said, Irob.
So - we looked a bunch of Legacy coaches today and I'm curious about something. At one point my DW, when looking at the area underneath the sink, said "wow you can see a lot of daylight under there". It looked to be a slit in the bottom of the slide w/ two rubber flaps - but there was still a lot of open space to the outside. With all the plumbing under there, I would think that area would be extremely susceptible to freezing in cold temps with that open slit exposed.

Anyone else notice this? Surely there must be a way to make that more weather tight - besides open access for vermin, that area under the sink would get *extremely* cold.

Remedies? Thoughts?

Thx,

Mike
Buck & Patsy, the boston-mix guard dogs
43D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #7

Mike
I saw that too. I think that part of the slide guides but I'm not sure why the used a rubber grommet to seal that. I'm not sure that there is anything I can do about that when the slide is open other than put some duct tape over it when I'm parked and open for business. As for when it's stored, it is not exposed as the slide is air tight so that is not a problem. I will check with my rep at the warranty division and ask but I have seen that when I went camping and I was curious about it. Good point.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #8

We have a 2014 Legacy
Great ride and love the floorplans but DO NOT LIKE FOREST RIVER
They do not return calls. Had to drive from WA to AZ to have warranty work done as we bought it in AZ and live in WA but dealers will not work on it WA. Forest Rivers comment "yea we have heard that"
Boxes with carpet all leak. Had it in shop three times and they have really tried to fix. Poor design. Hopefully fixed this time. Paint is coming off on edge of roof. Forest River will not reply to dealer. We have been in bay five months in a row and complained about paint issue each time. Continuous hot water would not work correctly from beginning. Very hot or very cold. Moved control to kitchen from bathroom. Now works but takes some getting use to. Big gap in nightstand in bedroom which was letting dirt roll in from engine Both slides have had motors replaced as slides were not put in correctly at factory. Left staples hanging on large slide bottom and had to have some of the floor tiles replaced. Two cabinet doors have fallen off, thankfully we have a wood shop. Driving down the road engine has turned off and then started again twice in less than a year. My brother had same problem with his Tiffin. Met someone with a legacy, his had turned off then on again 9 time in his first year.
Sink hose in kitchen was to rigid and had to be replaced as it would not straighten out when slide went out. Also had better rubber caskets installed around wires and pipes at that time to keep out critters and cold air
fjfwlegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #9

What is causing the storage bays to leak? Is it doors seals or door latches out of adjustment not creating a tight seal? Or is it coming from underneath?
Old 03-03-2015, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfwlegacy View Post
Driving down the road engine has turned off and then started again twice in less than a year. My brother had same problem with his Tiffin. Met someone with a legacy, his had turned off then on again 9 time in his first year.

Umm Excuse me... Did I hear that right, driving down the road the engine just shuts off? As in the one that pushing the vehicle down the road running the power steering and air brakes?

I would love to know more about this situation.

Mike
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

I would like to hear more about this as well and if you said it happened to your brothers tiffin I'm gonna guess this is some sort of freightliner known issue?
Old 03-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

boxes leak on bottom They flushed the material off and tried to seal seams. Sealed the first time with a tar like stuff and used a spray on the next two times. We have not driven thru any water since last fix.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #13

It is as if the key was turned off and immediately turned back on. Engine stops, dash goes dead they lights come back on and engine starts again, In less then 10 seconds. They can track that engine has shut off without key but without check engine light they can not tell what is wrong. Only guess that something is loose,
Old 03-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #14

Had the same thing happen to my 2014 Berkshire. Will ask FL dealer to look at it when I will take it in for maintenance this month.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #15

Our Legacy engine "shut-off" once as described by "fjfwlegacy" above. This occurred within the first month of owning during summer of 2014. I called Freightliner who indicated the culprit may stem from the additional battery wiring performed by Forest River where connections are loose or work loose. My unit was sent back to FR for other issues such as leaking, in which I shared the shut-off scenario with FR warranty. They checked and verified battery connections. We have not experienced an engine shut off since, but we have not used the unit over winter, plus it was with FR twice starting before Thanksgiving and ending in mid-January 2015. Check all your battery connections to include those leading to the battery shut-off switch. Again, this was the Freightliner reps suspicion for the cause, but nothing has been verified. Please share any updates if Freightliner is contacted and has found the solution.
W4JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #16

Interested in engine shut off issue

We have been on a couple little one week trips to the tune of about 1000 miles and not experienced any engine shut off issues or any chassis issues for that matter. Would like to hear more about this as time and experience goes on. We are happy with our rig so far, at the dealer now just for a few little cosmetic issues and the GPS which quit right out of the gate. We will see how that goes.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjfwlegacy View Post
We have a 2014 Legacy
Great ride and love the floorplans but DO NOT LIKE FOREST RIVER
They do not return calls. Had to drive from WA to AZ to have warranty work done as we bought it in AZ and live in WA but dealers will not work on it WA. Forest Rivers comment "yea we have heard that" ...

We are looking a purchasing a new FR Legacy and we live in Washington state. The local Washington dealer does not have the model we want and our experiences with their sales staff have not been positive. My question is if we purchase out of state, are we really unable to get warranty service from the local Washington dealer (ie Seattle area)? I can't imagine purchasing something this expensive and not being able to get good local service? Or for that matter, traveling the country in an RV and not being able to get warranty service any place...

I can't miss work to drive the RV to another part of the country to get service... the next closest dealership is 300 miles away, from there it leaps to 800 miles away. This could be a show stopper for us!

Also, if currently have a Legacy, would you do it purchase it again? Or would you go with another brand?

Thanks for your time!
rv4us4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #18

You don't have to service your coach at Legacy dealer. Any Forest River dealer should handle RV issues. For mechanical issues it should be taken to Freightliner or Allison. I am in the same boat with my Berkshire. The closest dealer is 200+ miles away, but I was able to have my issues handled at the local camping world.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4us4 View Post
We are looking a purchasing a new FR Legacy and we live in Washington state. The local Washington dealer does not have the model we want and our experiences with their sales staff have not been positive. My question is if we purchase out of state, are we really unable to get warranty service from the local Washington dealer (ie Seattle area)? I can't imagine purchasing something this expensive and not being able to get good local service? Or for that matter, traveling the country in an RV and not being able to get warranty service any place...

I can't miss work to drive the RV to another part of the country to get service... the next closest dealership is 300 miles away, from there it leaps to 800 miles away. This could be a show stopper for us!

Also, if currently have a Legacy, would you do it purchase it again? Or would you go with another brand?

Thanks for your time!
We are pleased with the Forest River product. In your case, I would not hesitate to contact Forest River (all current contacts are on their website). Call up a service guy and chat prior to purchase and explain your situation. See if you get a good explaination. I have found them friendly and eager to share information. I personally am a major DYI guy and fix most things myself. Our rig is only 90 days old so I don't have a long term answer yet. Seems well put together.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #20

This problem happened again to both our Legacy and my brothers Tiffin. Possibly a loose connection to the house batteries as these batteries our hooked up by Forest River , Tiffin or etc. Still checking.