Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Legacy Front License plate

Our Legacy has no provision for a front license plate. The dealer said just put it in the front windshield which I have done but don't like the reflection it creates. I have no desire to drill holes in the front cap with the usual resulting hairline cracks. So, I have designed a much too elaborate steel bracket that will slide into the 1 1/4" steel tubing alongside both sides of the generator. Should be fairly inexpensive for materials but will take a lot of labor (mine). The plate will mount without even touching the front cap when done. Shopping for materials to start soon and pictures to follow in a few weeks.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:19 PM   #2

Wow, I didn't know mounting it to the front cap was such a big deal. My dealer centered it and screwed it on the front where I pointed. Yikes, so I should check for cracks?
Old 05-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndnva View Post
Wow, I didn't know mounting it to the front cap was such a big deal. My dealer centered it and screwed it on the front where I pointed. Yikes, so I should check for cracks?
You can drill slightly oversize holes and insert rubber grommets and use flat washers on both sides of the grommets with ss nuts & bolts and eliminate the tendency of the cap cracking.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You can drill slightly oversize holes and insert rubber grommets and use flat washers on both sides of the grommets with ss nuts & bolts and eliminate the tendency of the cap cracking.
Yep, grommets and washers are a good way to go to prevent cracks. Worst way is to just put screws straight into the fiberglass. I'm just overly picky and since I have the time will make a huge job out of a small issue. Wish I didn't have to deal with it at all and just leave the damn thing off. Just leaving on a little outing in the mountains, will proceed with this project when I return. (unless I dream up something more fun to work on).
Old 05-07-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Yep, grommets and washers are a good way to go to prevent cracks. Worst way is to just put screws straight into the fiberglass. I'm just overly picky and since I have the time will make a huge job out of a small issue. Wish I didn't have to deal with it at all and just leave the damn thing off. Just leaving on a little outing in the mountains, will proceed with this project when I return. (unless I dream up something more fun to work on).
Just cover the entire back with 3M outdoor double sided tape and stick it on. No holes, no brackets, 5 minutes and it's over.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just cover the entire back with 3M outdoor double sided tape and stick it on. No holes, no brackets, 5 minutes and it's over.
Haha, wish I could. Not a flat spot to be had on the entire front end.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Haha, wish I could. Not a flat spot to be had on the entire front end.
The license plates are quite flexible.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #8

Not quite what I thought the thread was.....
But I just put our Legacy plate on the front of our truck...
Its been on one vehicle of ours for almost 30 years....
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #9

There are fastners that are made of rubber, have a threaded nut molded into the small end and the top is bigger than the body. They are used in the automotive/trucking industry to attach mirrors to bodies. I don't know what they are called but are great. Drill a small hole, insert the fastner, set the bolt and tighten it up. I picked up a bunch of them at a swap meet. They cost me 5 cents each.
sdfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfarmer View Post
There are fastners that are made of rubber, have a threaded nut molded into the small end and the top is bigger than the body. They are used in the automotive/trucking industry to attach mirrors to bodies. I don't know what they are called but are great. Drill a small hole, insert the fastner, set the bolt and tighten it up. I picked up a bunch of them at a swap meet. They cost me 5 cents each.
That really is by far the best fastener to attach to anything thin like fiberglass. Whey are called Well Nuts. Grainger is one supplier that has them. Thanks for the heads up, I forgot about them.
POP Well Nut,1/4-20,0.630 L,PK10 - Nut Inserts - 3ZLW2|347102/388 - Grainger Industrial Supply
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #11

I drilled four holes and mounted the plate. Works just fine.
W4JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4JJ View Post
I drilled four holes and mounted the plate. Works just fine.
Since I tend to knit pick little things, my front license plate was a very labor intensive, complicated thing that came out good. Plate or bracket does not contact the front cap at all and no holes in the fiberglass. Is attached to the front of the frame rails via square steel tubing. Probably no one else would ever go to this much effort for a damn license plate. I just did because I could.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front License1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	84639