Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndnva View Post
psw, did you just lay that wire shelf on top of the propane tank or is attached to brackets you mounted on the inside walls of the bin?
The shelf isn't touching the tank at all.

It is on top of the brackets where the bolts are holding the tank to the frame. Bolts are are through the wire shelf at the very ends and hold it and it is then zip tied to the framing.

Very secure, I was yanking on it pretty hard and it didn't move.

Pretty much created a additional storage bay, it actually could have been made bigger but that was the only size shelving I had laying around.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #22

I don't yet own a Legacy, but I'm looking at the 360RB floorplan. I noticed that the front A/C is also a heat pump, whereas the back one is not.

My question to you folks is, has anyone considered changing out the rear one with one that has the heat pump in it? If so, have you?
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
I don't yet own a Legacy, but I'm looking at the 360RB floorplan. I noticed that the front A/C is also a heat pump, whereas the back one is not.

My question to you folks is, has anyone considered changing out the rear one with one that has the heat pump in it? If so, have you?
The early 14 models don't have a heat pump in either unit. We don't do a whole lot of cold weather travelling but this past November we were caught in some chilly weather travelling home from Florida and the furnace did just fine.

What is the big advantage to the heat pump? It seems to me it would be a costly upgrade with minimal return unless you were replacing a unit that was old and broken/not operating.

I'd be interested to see if you can modify the existing unit or if the whole thing needs to be replaced.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
What is the big advantage to the heat pump? It seems to me it would be a costly upgrade with minimal return unless you were replacing a unit that was old and broken/not operating.
The benefit would be to use the electricity for heat vs. burning propane for the furnace.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
The benefit would be to use the electricity for heat vs. burning propane for the furnace.

That would be nice if it can be added without replacing a perfectly good unit. If I had to guess a new a/c unit with heat pump is probably 2k installed maybe more. Is this a component that could be added to what is already there?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #26

Quote:
thought I would start a thread where we could show mods and improvements to our coaches.

I'll start with the Aluminum wheels with tst 507 flow through tpms - works great and looks like a million bucks!

Forest River Mud Flap dresses up her rear end! LOL!

What size wheels did you get? I have been looking at them as well. Where did you purchase them/ get them installed? At FR dealer? Aftermarket shop? Your rig looks super sweet and you have everybody gaga over it!!!
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrob View Post
What size wheels did you get? I have been looking at them as well. Where did you purchase them/ get them installed? At FR dealer? Aftermarket shop? Your rig looks super sweet and you have everybody gaga over it!!!
Thanks, I'm still gaga over it! Lol

The wheels are 22.5 which is the original size. They are the alcoa polished.

I had bought and had them installed at a local truck tire shop here in eastern pa. If my memory is correct it was about $1700-1800 max for everything.

You buy the wheels and then you need to order the alcoa accessories which are the hub center covers and all the lug covers which were surprisingly expensive.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #28

How wide is the wheel? 8.25?
Old 03-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #29

8.25 sounds right
Old 03-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #30

Quote:
That would be nice if it can be added without replacing a perfectly good unit. If I had to guess a new a/c unit with heat pump is probably 2k installed maybe more. Is this a component that could be added to what is already there?
I was thinking about ordering it from the factory that way or having it replaced at the dealer on delivery. A brand new unit is ~$1000, and then you have a very gently used unit you can sell on the market to someone and get at least $500, so its not that much of outlay in the grand scheme of things. Just wondered if anyone else pondered that.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #31

Furnace works fine for me. I used it in extreme cold weather in VT. Not that taxing for propane either.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Furnace works fine for me. I used it in extreme cold weather in VT. Not that taxing for propane either.
The couple times we used the furnace it did really well. Forest River told me there is also a vent in the water bay somewhere. We had the furnace going on a 25 degree night and it felt pretty warm in that bay. Coach seems to be insulated half decent for a motorhome and with the double pane windows does pretty well.

I would consider adding the heat pump when one of my units fail.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #33

Just ordered the Polk soundbar. Just curious, where did you put the sub (it needs power) and how did you secure it so that it does not move around while driving?

Quote:
Thanks. My little girls like looking at themselves in the wheels, like mirrors!

The rock guard I got from futuresalesrv online. Kind of pricey but it is heavy duty. Definitely minimizes debris and I have confidence it would prevent major damage from a large object like a truck tire blowout on the highway. Seems to reduce road spray on the back of coach and toad as well.

Some other things I have done are add storage shelving to def compartment, holds extra def jugs and wheel chocks. Added a 15 foot coil exterior shower hose, paper towel holder and soap dispenser to wet bay.

Added a nice polk audio sound bar and wireless sub to dinette area, what a difference. It has Bluetooth for music as well. Can really crank it up now! Lol!

Trying to think what else I've done..... It's endless but fun
Old 03-06-2015, 02:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Just ordered the Polk soundbar. Just curious, where did you put the sub (it needs power) and how did you secure it so that it does not move around while driving?
The Polk soundbar is amazing and this in my opinion is a must do mod if you like music and movies.

I tried to squeeze it under the sofa but couldn't quite get in in the opening with seat lifted, it will fit under there though.

Second idea was under dinette but no good source for power nearby.

We settled on right next to sofa behind passenger seat tucked in corner. Out of way and doesn't slide aft because of sofa or forward with rubber feet on it. Power outlet right there as well.

Fyi... If you need more power in the cockpit for accessories forest river is putting dual USB ports in the dash of the 2015's. Our dealer gave me one for free when coach was in for service last month.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #35

Couple other minor mods

Installed the profill rv battery watering system and makes maintenance simple, this is a must have item.

got sick of wrangling with 25-30 feet of cable wire every time we hooked up to cable. Campers friend cable reel is installed in power cord bay by coax jack and works great. Just pull however much wire I need through the hole with power cord. Simple but works!

Now if I can find some sort of low profile power cord reel that will fit as well!

Also rigged up a 50 ft air hose and chuck for airing up coach and toad tires from onboard air system, works great!

Added a weather station, remote sensor is mounted to backside of framing for propane tank. Protected location from debris but shaded open air area. Pretty accurate readings.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 PM   #36

you are thinking like im thinking. My first hunch was to put it under the sofa cause there is a power outlet on the side of the armrest for the passenger. Bummer it did not fit. But where you put it was my second option. My third option was going to be in the basement right by the entry way. Was trying to save those outlets as Im going to put in a Dirt Devil Central vac and need that outlet to mount it. There is an outlet there, but Im not sure if you could hear it there. Good to know, that is where Im going to put it.

Quote:
The Polk soundbar is amazing and this in my opinion is a must do mod if you like music and movies.

I tried to squeeze it under the sofa but couldn't quite get in in the opening with seat lifted, it will fit under there though.

Second idea was under dinette but no good source for power nearby.

We settled on right next to sofa behind passenger seat tucked in corner. Out of way and doesn't slide aft because of sofa or forward with rubber feet on it. Power outlet right there as well.

Fyi... If you need more power in the cockpit for accessories forest river is putting dual USB ports in the dash of the 2015's. Our dealer gave me one for free when coach was in for service last month.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #37

Quote:
you are thinking like im thinking. My first hunch was to put it under the sofa cause there is a power outlet on the side of the armrest for the passenger. Bummer it did not fit. But where you put it was my second option. My third option was going to be in the basement right by the entry way. Was trying to save those outlets as Im going to put in a Dirt Devil Central vac and need that outlet to mount it. There is an outlet there, but Im not sure if you could hear it there. Good to know, that is where Im going to put it.
I gotta see your install on the dirt devil. This is something that is on my wish list, I'll be curious to see how it turns out! Hopefully you install it soon, lol!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:23 PM   #38

Anyone know if we have power behind our exterior handle?

Over on the Berkshire forum people are installing a small led and apparently the wiring is behind the handle and not being used. Controlled from the aisle switch which we have as well.

This would be a nice feature to have and only costs $11 for the part.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #39

I put in the profill watering system as well. Works great unless the temp is consistently below freezing. In that case, the line freezes and you have to pop the caps to water the batteries (as I did this year) but it is AWESOME for battery maintenance. Just carry your distilled water jug and the feeder hose and you are in business. I keep mine in the house unless im going on a long trip for more than a month, then I would take it. would like a dream.

Good tip for the cable wire, however, I have Direct TV with a King Dome so Im good to go for TV. I also use Fire TV stick which is very cool for programming. plugs right in to the side of the dinette tv and use the power outlet behind it. Good times.

Quote:
Couple other minor mods

Installed the profill rv battery watering system and makes maintenance simple, this is a must have item.

got sick of wrangling with 25-30 feet of cable wire every time we hooked up to cable. Campers friend cable reel is installed in power cord bay by coax jack and works great. Just pull however much wire I need through the hole with power cord. Simple but works!

Now if I can find some sort of low profile power cord reel that will fit as well!

Also rigged up a 50 ft air hose and chuck for airing up coach and toad tires from onboard air system, works great!
Old 03-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #40

I have ordered an air hose and a adjustable regulator with an air chuck as well. Where do you store the hose? in the basement or did you create a mount next to the generator?

Quote:
I put in the profill watering system as well. Works great unless the temp is consistently below freezing. In that case, the line freezes and you have to pop the caps to water the batteries (as I did this year) but it is AWESOME for battery maintenance. Just carry your distilled water jug and the feeder hose and you are in business. I keep mine in the house unless im going on a long trip for more than a month, then I would take it. would like a dream.

Good tip for the cable wire, however, I have Direct TV with a King Dome so Im good to go for TV. I also use Fire TV stick which is very cool for programming. plugs right in to the side of the dinette tv and use the power outlet behind it. Good times.

Tags
modifications