Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Legacy Q's for new owner

We dry camp often, i have a little honda 3000 generator to keep the batteries up, without running the big on board generator. However plugging it into the shoreline does not seem to charge the house batteries. Am I missing something? I don't run anything on the little generator, just want a trickle charge. My thought is if i connect the batteries to a seperate charger and plug that into the little generator it would work. My fellow campers do this on their 5th wheels and and have no issue, but myself in the 2014 legacy and another family in another class A have the same issue.

Also thanks for adding me to the forum, I've posted a pic of our rig at Catalina State Park in Tucson AZ yesterday.
P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catalina state park RV.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	159151  
__________________

lazyPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
psw757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPAZ View Post
We dry camp often, i have a little honda 3000 generator to keep the batteries up, without running the big on board generator. However plugging it into the shoreline does not seem to charge the house batteries. Am I missing something? I don't run anything on the little generator, just want a trickle charge. My thought is if i connect the batteries to a seperate charger and plug that into the little generator it would work. My fellow campers do this on their 5th wheels and and have no issue, but myself in the 2014 legacy and another family in another class A have the same issue.

Also thanks for adding me to the forum, I've posted a pic of our rig at Catalina State Park in Tucson AZ yesterday.
P
Do they charge from a 50/30amp shore power service or the big generator?

Iím thinking it may have to do with bypassing the magnum converter/charging system when hooking up to an external generator.
__________________

psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Do they charge from a 50/30amp shore power service or the big generator?

Iím thinking it may have to do with bypassing the magnum converter/charging system when hooking up to an external generator.
Yes they charge from both the big generator and a 30A shore line.
lazyPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
psw757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPAZ View Post
Yes they charge from both the big generator and a 30A shore line.
Then that means the normal operating of the system is working correctly.

How many amps is the Honda putting out when your using it and are you plugging into it or running something directly to batteries?
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Then that means the normal operating of the system is working correctly.

How many amps is the Honda putting out when your using it and are you plugging into it or running something directly to batteries?
Thanks for your reply, the generator is plugged into the shore line, it is rated for 21.7a at 2600w and 25a at peak output 3000w.
lazyPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,062
Any particular reason you don’t just use the onboard diesel generator? Not really very loud and a lot more fuel efficient. When our power was out after the hurricane this summer we moved into the RV in the driveway and stayed four days and nights with the generator goingfor both AC units, fridge, TV and ran a cord to a freezer two fridges in the house. Couldn’t believe we only used like 25 gallons of fuel total for the four days.
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Any particular reason you donít just use the onboard diesel generator? Not really very loud and a lot more fuel efficient. When our power was out after the hurricane this summer we moved into the RV in the driveway and stayed four days and nights with the generator goingfor both AC units, fridge, TV and ran a cord to a freezer two fridges in the house. Couldnít believe we only used like 25 gallons of fuel total for the four days.
I will if running the a/c etc, but seems like a waste to charge the batteries. Plus it puts less hours on the unit.
lazyPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
jonj15546's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPAZ View Post
We dry camp often, i have a little honda 3000 generator to keep the batteries up, without running the big on board generator. However plugging it into the shoreline does not seem to charge the house batteries. Am I missing something? I don't run anything on the little generator, just want a trickle charge. My thought is if i connect the batteries to a seperate charger and plug that into the little generator it would work. My fellow campers do this on their 5th wheels and and have no issue, but myself in the 2014 legacy and another family in another class A have the same issue.



Also thanks for adding me to the forum, I've posted a pic of our rig at Catalina State Park in Tucson AZ yesterday.

P


It should charge the batteries if you plugged into shore power. You need to make sure the system is cut on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514729427.383493.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	159286
jonj15546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
psw757's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 376
I read through the original post again and it got me thinking about this again. It works fine off the coach generator and the coach shore power cord.

It isn't or doesn't appear to work when running the Honda generator which is powering a small trickle charger which is connected directly to batteries.

Is there a chance that it could be charging or possibly not at enough of a rate to exceed whatever power you may be using during this type of setup.

My other thought is that you are totally bypassing the Magnum charging/inv/conv system and it may not be able to accurately monitor the batteries state.

Maybe try and get a independent charge reading (not what the magnum display indicates) then run your setup for a bit and take another reading.

Other than that not sure what else to look at.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
jonj15546's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
I read through the original post again and it got me thinking about this again. It works fine off the coach generator and the coach shore power cord.

It isn't or doesn't appear to work when running the Honda generator which is powering a small trickle charger which is connected directly to batteries.

Is there a chance that it could be charging or possibly not at enough of a rate to exceed whatever power you may be using during this type of setup.

My other thought is that you are totally bypassing the Magnum charging/inv/conv system and it may not be able to accurately monitor the batteries state.

Maybe try and get a independent charge reading (not what the magnum display indicates) then run your setup for a bit and take another reading.

Other than that not sure what else to look at.


Yea hooking up directly to the batteries should charge them bypassing the magnum system.
__________________

jonj15546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.