Old 12-13-2015, 08:44 AM   #1

Lesson Learned!

So after bringing the 2016 Legacy home to wash it, I stopped to get gas before taking it back to storage. Pulled in, N, brake, turned it off. Filled tank. When I went to start it,...fan noise only, won't start! Checked the gas cap (may not even apply to a Freightliner with Allison Trany) and then tried again. Won't start. Freaked out, then called FR Roadside. The error message on the control panel was something like IGNITION Control.

Apparently all I had to do was turn the key one tick, foot on break, and put it in reverse, then back in Neutral. It started immediately.

The FR Tech said this is common when the engine is turned off before the Transmission is fully engaged in Neutral.

Scared me to death thinking there was something wrong!

Old 12-13-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndnva View Post
So after bringing the 2016 Legacy home to wash it, I stopped to get gas before taking it back to storage. Pulled in, N, brake, turned it off. Filled tank. When I went to start it,...fan noise only, won't start! Checked the gas cap (may not even apply to a Freightliner with Allison Trany) and then tried again. Won't start. Freaked out, then called FR Roadside. The error message on the control panel was something like IGNITION Control.

Apparently all I had to do was turn the key one tick, foot on break, and put it in reverse, then back in Neutral. It started immediately.

The FR Tech said this is common when the engine is turned off before the Transmission is fully engaged in Neutral.

Scared me to death thinking there was something wrong!
Wow, glad it was that easy. I learned that same lesson some years back on another Allison tranny vehicle that had several of us baffled for a while.

The Allison tranny is actually shifted by a 12v motor and small gearbox that is connected to a manual linkage on the side of the transmission. The motor is computer controlled and receives commands from the little keypad we use. It takes a moment for the motor to carry out our command and if we jump the gun and don't let it do it's thing the computer gets an attitude. I've done the same thing a couple times just recently, we just have to cool our jets a bit it seems.

Glad all is well.