Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #21

We tow a 4600lb wrangler unlimited rubicon and have averaged 10.2-10.5 depending on speed and whether or not we are running the generator for both a/c units in hot weather. The generator consumes .3-.5 gallons per hour depending on load.

Just drove down to Nashville from the Philadelphia area yesterday and averaged 10.1 mpg and that is about as hilly of a drive you could get on the east coast. Really impressed with the coach so far!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:17 AM   #22

Do you have photos of yours. Also how is the coach to drive?
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #23

Yeah I have lots of photos at home on PC, we are in Nashville for the week.

I started the legacy mods and improvements thread and there are a bunch of pics in there.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #24

Just completed a 3000+ trip. 11.0 mpg pulling as shown in the attached photo.
A few issues need to be addressed with the warrantee folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015c4c.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	84101  
Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 AM   #25

Aero,
How much does that tow setup weigh?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #26

5k, Trailer is aluminum and Jeep is highly modified and nowhere near factory stated weight. A weight distribution hitch is also used. Careful balance and weights at tongue were taken.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
5k, Trailer is aluminum and Jeep is highly modified and nowhere near factory stated weight. A weight distribution hitch is also used. Careful balance and weights at tongue were taken.
We are thinking about upgrading our hitch to a 10k. Been towing our rubicon but would potentially like to pull our f-150. We weighed the coach a few times fully loaded and have about 8600lbs to the gcwr.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
We are thinking about upgrading our hitch to a 10k. Been towing our rubicon but would potentially like to pull our f-150. We weighed the coach a few times fully loaded and have about 8600lbs to the gcwr.
PM sent
Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #29
7 Year Class A RV'er

aeroshots: You're close on the 5K weight, close enough to not worry about it. We had the same rig and I think with the Jeep on there you're actually about 5,600#. Again, certainly not far enough over the hitch capacity to be an issue. I've noticed some folks on here take all the "numbers" provided to them as being exact instead of common sense guidelines. (I'll probably be hearing from several over that comment!)

Am sort of curious why you put the Jeep on the hauler when they're so easy to flat tow. When I bought my Jeep, I sold the trailer and love the flat towing. I think all the requirements on some of the other vehicles would drive me nuts, but the Jeep was a breeze.

One other question for you: When you logged the 11.0 MPG, what mode were you in on your transmission? Last trip I made (our first), I think I had it in normal mode (the red light was off). I was reading something the other day about using economy mode (red light on?) when pulling. Thoughts of suggestions? I was getting just over 10.0 MPG but we went through the mountains of north GA and east TN, too (Orlando to Gatlinburg).

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
aeroshots: You're close on the 5K weight, close enough to not worry about it. We had the same rig and I think with the Jeep on there you're actually about 5,600#. Again, certainly not far enough over the hitch capacity to be an issue. I've noticed some folks on here take all the "numbers" provided to them as being exact instead of common sense guidelines. (I'll probably be hearing from several over that comment!)

Am sort of curious why you put the Jeep on the hauler when they're so easy to flat tow. When I bought my Jeep, I sold the trailer and love the flat towing. I think all the requirements on some of the other vehicles would drive me nuts, but the Jeep was a breeze.

One other question for you: When you logged the 11.0 MPG, what mode were you in on your transmission? Last trip I made (our first), I think I had it in normal mode (the red light was off). I was reading something the other day about using economy mode (red light on?) when pulling. Thoughts of suggestions? I was getting just over 10.0 MPG but we went through the mountains of north GA and east TN, too (Orlando to Gatlinburg).
I am seeing just over 11 mpg and I tow as much in econ (red light on) as possible at 60ish mph. Pretty hard to leave it in that mode in the mountains though, just need (or like to have) those extra RPM's to get over the hump a bit quicker.

I agree with you on all the "requirements" some of these vehicles have for flat towing. We travel with friends frequently who tow a '14 Honda and all that they go through would surely drive me nuts.

Will be leaving soon on a 2 month trip back and forth across the US, will get a good feel for all terrain/condition mileage for sure.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:16 PM   #31

[QUOTE=conceptumator;934368]aeroshots: You're close on the 5K weight, close enough to not worry about it. We had the same rig and I think with the Jeep on there you're actually about 5,600#.

--You are correct, close enough not to worry.

Am sort of curious why you put the Jeep on the hauler when they're so easy to flat tow.

-- I flat towed it in the past and you are correct, it is very easy. The aggressive tires do not last very long on the highway. At $375.00 each I figured the trailer as a good option to burning up pricy tires. I use the trailer for other things too so it was not an extra expense. Also, backing up is possible with a trailer.

One other question for you: When you logged the 11.0 MPG, what mode were you in on your transmission?

--ECO mode except during city/in town driving. Even the hills around Nashville were really no issue in ECO mode. I set the cruise control on 62 mph.

One added note. I totally do not like the exhaust brake. The brake is fine itself, but the transmission program downshifts too early, IMHO,
causing high engine RPM.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #32
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, aero shots - makes total sense to me on the tires. I'm running the factory Goodyears do not anything near aggressive. Just made me curious. I'll have to try the Eco button next trip. The dealer during the PDI was less than informative, they just flat didn't know what the button did. All it's labeled is "Mode". Appreciate the info. Have fun and stay safe.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Thanks, aero shots - makes total sense to me on the tires. I'm running the factory Goodyears do not anything near aggressive. Just made me curious. I'll have to try the Eco button next trip. The dealer during the PDI was less than informative, they just flat didn't know what the button did. All it's labeled is "Mode". Appreciate the info. Have fun and stay safe.
Funny that most dealers don't know a thing about Allison tranny's. Mode has been a staple on Allison's for years. It is actually a user/manufacturer programmable mode, which means you can program your own mode for a specific application different from the default mode. Truck fleets with specialty vehicles use this for 4WD, super hill climbing, fire trucks, etc. Freightliner has programmed it for us to keep the engine in the "sweet spot" producing the most torque at the lowest RPM, thereby the best fuel economy. It also locks up the converter a bit quicker to reduce slip. Only need to come out of ECO mode when you need some extra RPM's or more torque multiplication by slowing down the converter lockup. Attended many seminars on this during my working years as a fleet manager.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:22 PM   #34
C8dnLegacy

Thanks for the info on the mode function - dealer did not explain this to me and the manual didn't explain it either. We are getting about 11 mpg flat towing our Wrangler. Very happy with this, and looking forward to trying out the ECO mode.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #35

How do you find the Eco mode?
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:49 AM   #36

Just push the mode button the red light will come on there you are
Old 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
How do you find the Eco mode?
Sorry my previous message was short, I was on the way into church and wanted to get an answer to you right away in case you are on the road now.

It is that simple, push the mode button and the little red light will come on and you are in "eco" mode. You will notice the transmission shift into higher gears much sooner with no real lugging noticed, by me anyway. As stated previously I turn it off in town and at lower speed limits, i.e. 35 mph. After using it you will really notice how long the transmission holds 4th and 5th gear. One more thing, it will default into normal mode when the ignition is turned off.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #38

We are 5000 miles and 6 weeks into a trip around the US. Currently in Michigan for fall colors. We have averaged 10.9 so far at 60 mph. Very happy with that figure.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #39

Regarding fuel mileage, I averaged 11.4 mpg for the entire trip to Grand Canyon and back from Washington, DC (4400 miles). I towed a 3,200 pound dingy during the trip. Made a trip to South Carolina this month for an overall fuel mileage of 11.7 mpg pulling the same toad. I tend to stay at 65 mph or under for all trips. I have been able to see as much as 12.0 to 12.5 for a few 300-500 mile legs of long trips, and the overall averages seem to hover around 11.4 - 11.5 mpg. The Coach now has over 15K miles.
W4JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4JJ View Post
Regarding fuel mileage, I averaged 11.4 mpg for the entire trip to Grand Canyon and back from Washington, DC (4400 miles). I towed a 3,200 pound dingy during the trip. Made a trip to South Carolina this month for an overall fuel mileage of 11.7 mpg pulling the same toad. I tend to stay at 65 mph or under for all trips. I have been able to see as much as 12.0 to 12.5 for a few 300-500 mile legs of long trips, and the overall averages seem to hover around 11.4 - 11.5 mpg. The Coach now has over 15K miles.
Wow. That is great mileage

Tags
mileage, roo, roof