Old 07-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #31

[QUOTE=conceptumator;934368]aeroshots: You're close on the 5K weight, close enough to not worry about it. We had the same rig and I think with the Jeep on there you're actually about 5,600#.

--You are correct, close enough not to worry.

Am sort of curious why you put the Jeep on the hauler when they're so easy to flat tow.

-- I flat towed it in the past and you are correct, it is very easy. The aggressive tires do not last very long on the highway. At $375.00 each I figured the trailer as a good option to burning up pricy tires. I use the trailer for other things too so it was not an extra expense. Also, backing up is possible with a trailer.

One other question for you: When you logged the 11.0 MPG, what mode were you in on your transmission?

--ECO mode except during city/in town driving. Even the hills around Nashville were really no issue in ECO mode. I set the cruise control on 62 mph.

One added note. I totally do not like the exhaust brake. The brake is fine itself, but the transmission program downshifts too early, IMHO,
causing high engine RPM.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 PM   #32
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, aero shots - makes total sense to me on the tires. I'm running the factory Goodyears do not anything near aggressive. Just made me curious. I'll have to try the Eco button next trip. The dealer during the PDI was less than informative, they just flat didn't know what the button did. All it's labeled is "Mode". Appreciate the info. Have fun and stay safe.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Thanks, aero shots - makes total sense to me on the tires. I'm running the factory Goodyears do not anything near aggressive. Just made me curious. I'll have to try the Eco button next trip. The dealer during the PDI was less than informative, they just flat didn't know what the button did. All it's labeled is "Mode". Appreciate the info. Have fun and stay safe.
Funny that most dealers don't know a thing about Allison tranny's. Mode has been a staple on Allison's for years. It is actually a user/manufacturer programmable mode, which means you can program your own mode for a specific application different from the default mode. Truck fleets with specialty vehicles use this for 4WD, super hill climbing, fire trucks, etc. Freightliner has programmed it for us to keep the engine in the "sweet spot" producing the most torque at the lowest RPM, thereby the best fuel economy. It also locks up the converter a bit quicker to reduce slip. Only need to come out of ECO mode when you need some extra RPM's or more torque multiplication by slowing down the converter lockup. Attended many seminars on this during my working years as a fleet manager.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #34
C8dnLegacy

Thanks for the info on the mode function - dealer did not explain this to me and the manual didn't explain it either. We are getting about 11 mpg flat towing our Wrangler. Very happy with this, and looking forward to trying out the ECO mode.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #35

How do you find the Eco mode?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #36

Just push the mode button the red light will come on there you are
Old 08-02-2015, 07:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
How do you find the Eco mode?
Sorry my previous message was short, I was on the way into church and wanted to get an answer to you right away in case you are on the road now.

It is that simple, push the mode button and the little red light will come on and you are in "eco" mode. You will notice the transmission shift into higher gears much sooner with no real lugging noticed, by me anyway. As stated previously I turn it off in town and at lower speed limits, i.e. 35 mph. After using it you will really notice how long the transmission holds 4th and 5th gear. One more thing, it will default into normal mode when the ignition is turned off.

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #38

We are 5000 miles and 6 weeks into a trip around the US. Currently in Michigan for fall colors. We have averaged 10.9 so far at 60 mph. Very happy with that figure.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #39

Regarding fuel mileage, I averaged 11.4 mpg for the entire trip to Grand Canyon and back from Washington, DC (4400 miles). I towed a 3,200 pound dingy during the trip. Made a trip to South Carolina this month for an overall fuel mileage of 11.7 mpg pulling the same toad. I tend to stay at 65 mph or under for all trips. I have been able to see as much as 12.0 to 12.5 for a few 300-500 mile legs of long trips, and the overall averages seem to hover around 11.4 - 11.5 mpg. The Coach now has over 15K miles.
W4JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:09 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4JJ View Post
Regarding fuel mileage, I averaged 11.4 mpg for the entire trip to Grand Canyon and back from Washington, DC (4400 miles). I towed a 3,200 pound dingy during the trip. Made a trip to South Carolina this month for an overall fuel mileage of 11.7 mpg pulling the same toad. I tend to stay at 65 mph or under for all trips. I have been able to see as much as 12.0 to 12.5 for a few 300-500 mile legs of long trips, and the overall averages seem to hover around 11.4 - 11.5 mpg. The Coach now has over 15K miles.
Wow. That is great mileage

Tags
mileage, roo, roof