Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 11:31 PM   #1

Missing tank heating pads? I don't Know!

I have a new Legacy SR 200/KP 340. My question is, I don't see any heating pads for the black/grey or fresh water tanks? They were listed as standard equipment on the sticker?
Is it something you have to turn off and on? Are they started automatically when you turn on the furnace?
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you have switches in your control panel labeled "tank heaters"?
Even though the brochure "lists" it as standard it's possible that a mid year change tank heaters were no longer std.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Standard Equipment?

Thanks for responding. I don't have any button labeled tank heaters.

I wonder what else was standard and not equipped.
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #4

The SR300 models I was told did not come with the heaters. The SR340's did.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #5

Look for a switch on your main control panel marked Arctic pack that is how my MH is marked.
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Do you have switches in your control panel labeled "tank heaters"?

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
Do these switches just control the tiny heating pads located on the black and grey water tanks? I don't think they would do any good on a FW tank and couldn't protect the piping at all. If they are the pads I am seeing they are too small to do much of anything IMO. They look like a waist of 12 VDC to me. I really don't think I would trust them to do much of anything.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Anacortesians

IMO, the "Arctic Pack" heaters are not just useless, but potentially damaging. Our recently sold Georgetown had them on the black and grey tanks, which were both plastic.

According to the "fact" sheet in the documentation we got with the rig, each of them would draw 7 amps from the house batteries when switched on. They weren't very big, and I was concerned about 84 watts being applied to so small a plastic surface. Even more dangerous, there was no sensor to confirm there was any liquid in the tank. The pads had a built-in thermostat which turned them on at 40 F and off at 64 F. It was not adjustable.

Given the risk to the tank wall material, the 28 Amp draw from the 12V system of all four pads and the stupidity of trying to keep a full waste tank warm with such small heaters, I disabled them.

FR couldn't even spell "Arctic". The switch label said "Artic". To a Brit like me that's short for what is known in the US as an "18-wheeler" (in Brit-speak, an "articulated lorry").
Old 08-12-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In my old flagstaff I used mine to about 20° it also had pipe heaters.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
In my old flagstaff I used mine to about 20° it also had pipe heaters.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
By pipe heaters I am assuming you mean heat tapes? These tapes are wrapped around the pipes to keep them from freezing. I know they make them for 120 VAC but wasn't aware they made them for 12 VDC. I would think they would draw a pretty heavy load.

I don't have any info on the tank heaters. I do remember looking at one when I was under my trailer one day and thinking that is awful small for that size tank. I think I will give FR a call and see what they can tell me about them. Could hook up a meter but need colder weather.

I am going to try and look at the pipes also. Sense there are tank heaters there might be heaters on the pipes also. It would make sense.

Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 05:51 AM   #10

Been doing a little thinking about this. Sense I am trying to keep the load down for when I might go boondocking I was wondering if it wouldn't make sense to just put some antifreeze into the grey and black water tanks? I think I would feel safer doing this and it is easy enough to do. Just have to figure out how much to use in each tank. No worry about the load or if they are working or not.

Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 05:58 AM   #11

What type of antifreeze are you talking about? Don't use the automotive as that is toxic and would do serious damage to a septic system when you dump. I don't believe the RV antifreeze is designed to be mixed with water (or at least only the small amount you find in a trap).

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
What type of antifreeze are you talking about? Don't use the automotive as that is toxic and would do serious damage to a septic system when you dump. I don't believe the RV antifreeze is designed to be mixed with water (or at least only the small amount you find in a trap).
I believe you are right, the non-toxic antifreeze is not designed to be diluted.

When I use to hnt, 30 years ago, we always used regular antifreeze in the traps when the weather got cold and it never caused a problem. That is what everyone use back then. I know it wouldn't be a problem to the trailer tanks, they are just holding tanks not septic systems.

Does anyone know for sure if it would cause problems? I wouldn't think the couple of gallons that would be needed would be a problem to the huge septic tanks used at camp grounds but I could be wrong. I wouldn't want to cause any camp grounds any problems. Back then many things were done because we didn't know any better. I should have died 25-30 years ago from all the chemicals I use to work with!

Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 07:45 AM   #13

Waste tanks- freezing

Interesting idea to put antifreeze. Probably do not need to put much in to lower the freezing point a few degrees. If one is driving and the chassis is charging the system (and if you had pads) then I guess the "contents" would warm up to 60 or so degrees and allow you to dump. I noticed on my rig the pads are only under the tank and not extended out the pipe to the valves. While driving the warmer contents would keep everything from freeing. Once you stop in freezing temps I assume thinks would freeze to the valves. (unless you have shore or genny power). we plan to play this by ear. Fairly easy to off load the grey water . I may try the antifreeze idea in the black water tank. Our FW tank is contained inside the coach. Someone suggested a standard 12V bulb on a lighted switch to keep the chill off the plumbing. I am also not sure what to do about the HW tank. have to decide to keep heated or drain while in cold temps and when needed fill it or heat some water on the stove..... I am sure there is a lot "out there" re how to boondock in the colder temps (mountains or in the northern areas of our world.

STILL BETTER THAN A TENT EH?

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Interesting idea to put antifreeze. Probably do not need to put much in to lower the freezing point a few degrees. If one is driving and the chassis is charging the system (and if you had pads) then I guess the "contents" would warm up to 60 or so degrees and allow you to dump. I noticed on my rig the pads are only under the tank and not extended out the pipe to the valves. While driving the warmer contents would keep everything from freeing. Once you stop in freezing temps I assume thinks would freeze to the valves. (unless you have shore or genny power). we plan to play this by ear. Fairly easy to off load the grey water . I may try the antifreeze idea in the black water tank. Our FW tank is contained inside the coach. Someone suggested a standard 12V bulb on a lighted switch to keep the chill off the plumbing. I am also not sure what to do about the HW tank. have to decide to keep heated or drain while in cold temps and when needed fill it or heat some water on the stove..... I am sure there is a lot "out there" re how to boondock in the colder temps (mountains or in the northern areas of our world.

STILL BETTER THAN A TENT EH?
I use to use a catalytic heater in my tent but it still got cold on some mornings. Doubt if I could do it any more.

A light bulb does help, have done that. We had one we hung in the outhouse also! Without it you might stick to the seat! I can remember everyone waiting for the first person to go, then everyone lined up. Once the seat got warmed up we all tried to take advantage of it.

Those were the days!

Antifreeze is getting to sound better yet. Hadn't thought about the hose or valve freezing up.

Jim
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

Sorry, folks, but this seems like a lot of worry for basically nothing. Water does not freeze as easily as you may think when it's in large quantities, like these tanks. Yes, it can freeze, but have you ever seen a 40 gallon ice cube? Using antifreeze? Forgetting about the environmental impacts of this, you'd need a 50% mixture to prevent freezing. That's 20 gallons per tank per flush. Not only is half your capacity gone, but antifreeze is expensive! When in use, the tanks should take care of themselves unless you're camping in the arctic or something. If you're not using the unit, then simply empty the tanks.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Sorry, folks, but this seems like a lot of worry for basically nothing. Water does not freeze as easily as you may think when it's in large quantities, like these tanks. Yes, it can freeze, but have you ever seen a 40 gallon ice cube? Using antifreeze? Forgetting about the environmental impacts of this, you'd need a 50% mixture to prevent freezing. That's 20 gallons per tank per flush. Not only is half your capacity gone, but antifreeze is expensive! When in use, the tanks should take care of themselves unless you're camping in the arctic or something. If you're not using the unit, then simply empty the tanks.
Well put. All that is something we don't deal with in So. Cal., however we have traveled extensively in cold weather for years in a 4 season 5th wheel (Montana 32rk). Never had an issue with anything other than "I hate cold". As far as the rig... nada.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #17

ok question on my Legacy...now that cold weather is here I have tank heater switch on the panel inside...is this for the grey and black? Fresh? I really did not get much at the dealership on these ...
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
ok question on my Legacy...now that cold weather is here I have tank heater switch on the panel inside...is this for the grey and black? Fresh? I really did not get much at the dealership on these ...
It is my understanding there is a pad on each tank. In my 5er there should be 4 pads, fw, black and two gray. Each one is separately controlled by its own thermostat. All the switch does is supply 12 VDC to each pad. They won't do anything till the temperature drops low enough, 40 degrees I think.

Jim
Old 10-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
On our V-Lite unit there are Heat pads on all 4 tanks Plus heat pads on the discharge pipes and Valves. There are also 2 different discharge locations! Lots of Pads! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 09:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
On our V-Lite unit there are Heat pads on all 4 tanks Plus heat pads on the discharge pipes and Valves. There are also 2 different discharge locations! Lots of Pads! Youroo!!
When I am at a cg that has sewer I am not worried about the kitchen gray water because that ii is the one I will have connected. My black and bathroom gray are insulated so shouldn't freeze. That said, I do carry a 3 foot heat tape I can put on the valves if it has been cold enough that it may happen. Better safe than sorry, don't want to break a valve!

Jim

Tags
heating, tank