Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #1

Oil on the Toad

Does anyone else remember a post about a mod to the coach (the oil breather valve, I believe) to reduce or eliminate oil on the front of the Toad? I've searched this forum every which way I can think of and can't find.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #2

I don't know the post, but here is a link to a universal catch can to stop the oil drip from the breather. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Res.../dp/B01B9G0BW0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I don't know the post, but here is a link to a universal catch can to stop the oil drip from the breather. https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Res.../dp/B01B9G0BW0

Gotcha, thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #4

I had this happen to my Palazzo and Ford Focus toad after a 'service' from Speedco - they had overfilled the oil, and the oil tube was allowing the excess to drip/flow out and be blown all over the toad, the tow bar, and even up on the rear of the coach. I also saw it dripped on the cement after we stopped at a Walmart about 50miles up the road, right under the tube.

I fought the idea of trying to 'capture' the oil, or somehow stop it at the tube, and releasing ALL the 'extra' oil was the real answer. No more oil out the tube.

In the process, I also found that next time I will service my own coach, changing my own oil, as the filters are actually easy to access with the bags aired up, and the oil pan has two exit holes, a typical one on the bottom, and also one on the driver side of the oil pan, which makes for a much easier, more controlled, release of the oil into a container. Not near as messy as I would have believed.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I had this happen to my Palazzo and Ford Focus toad after a 'service' from Speedco - they had overfilled the oil, and the oil tube was allowing the excess to drip/flow out and be blown all over the toad, the tow bar, and even up on the rear of the coach. I also saw it dripped on the cement after we stopped at a Walmart about 50miles up the road, right under the tube.

I fought the idea of trying to 'capture' the oil, or somehow stop it at the tube, and releasing ALL the 'extra' oil was the real answer. No more oil out the tube.

In the process, I also found that next time I will service my own coach, changing my own oil, as the filters are actually easy to access with the bags aired up, and the oil pan has two exit holes, a typical one on the bottom, and also one on the driver side of the oil pan, which makes for a much easier, more controlled, release of the oil into a container. Not near as messy as I would have believed.

I did have mine serviced at Freightliner right before this trip. So, unless I bleed a couple of quarts off I just have to let it relieve the excess on its own the way it is doing?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #6

check your dipstick first, and make sure that it is at full or slightly less than full, because that will tell you if there’s too much oil already in the system, in which case yes you will just have to ride it out, or relieve some of the excess oil

Check on your Freightliner service ticket and see if it says how much oil that they filled your system with, as it should be maybe 15 quarts, thereabouts
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:47 PM   #7

If you are going to use a "catch-can" may I recommend a Provent Crank Case Ventilation Filter? It has safety features built in and a replaceable element used to capture oil.

When I buy a diesel, the first thing I do to it is install a Provent CCV.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
If you are going to use a "catch-can" may I recommend a Provent Crank Case Ventilation Filter? It has safety features built in and a replaceable element used to capture oil.

When I buy a diesel, the first thing I do to it is install a Provent CCV.

Thanks Skyliner, I'll check it out.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #9

So, it wasn't oil but diesel fuel! Looking at the tires during a driving break, I noticed fuel dripping from a filter (fuel or water separator, I don't know). Next stop, I was able to get under there and tighten it down. Arrived in North Dakota with a clean Toad [emoji4]

Tags
toad