Old 02-22-2016, 03:55 PM   #11

I'm waiting for a call back from Girard to see if they'll cover for a replacement. Also, if their Gen3 version (model 2GWHAM, GSWH-2) is available. I've seen ads on the internet for this new version that has increased the BTUs somewhat.

My dealer says Forest River has pulled Girard heaters from the 2016 and future model MHs and has gone to Atwood demand water heaters instead. My dealer likes the Atwood and the Suburban heaters. The Suburban, in particular, has good specs, and puts out continuous water up to 130 degrees, and has a 60KBTU capability whereas the Atwood is 55KBTUs and the Gen3 Girard is lower yet.

2015 Legacy 340KP w/2014 Honda CRV (TOAD)
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500HD
ajk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk123 View Post
I'm waiting for a call back from Girard to see if they'll cover for a replacement. Also, if their Gen3 version (model 2GWHAM, GSWH-2) is available. I've seen ads on the internet for this new version that has increased the BTUs somewhat.

My dealer says Forest River has pulled Girard heaters from the 2016 and future model MHs and has gone to Atwood demand water heaters instead. My dealer likes the Atwood and the Suburban heaters. The Suburban, in particular, has good specs, and puts out continuous water up to 130 degrees, and has a 60KBTU capability whereas the Atwood is 55KBTUs and the Gen3 Girard is lower yet.
The only reason I am leaning toward the Girard, is easy install, should hook right up. Just have to paint the door unfortunately. We have been pleased with the BTU output, however, the temperature variations with changing incoming water temp. is crazy. Last summer prior to meeting up with you, we had some places in Texas with 60 degree water coming in, the heater had no idea how to handle that. I hope the Gen III has that issue covered.

Old 03-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Aeroshots (and others), I'm researching Atwood and Suburban models. I'm also going to call Girard today about possible existence of a "generation 3" model which I can't find on the internet. I'll post the results of my findings.

It appears all tankless water heaters out there are having similar complaints about water temperature changes/surges during use.
Just wondered how your correspondence with Girard went? I am interested in upgrading and just sent an email to them to that effect.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 PM   #14

Have you considered the Truma Aquago? It's an on-demand water heater, however it has a small tank (~1/3 gallon) to prevent temperature fluctuations in the water. The comfort plus model allows for a closed loop system that will circulate the hot water around the piping to ensure nearly instant hot water at each tap. The plumbing has to be designed in such a way for that to be possible however. Ger=man engineering and so far the folks that have them, love them.

Truma AquaGo® provides instant hot water while on the road

Old 03-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #15

CaptnRick, Girard offered to sell me a Gen3 model for $400 plus shipping to replace my gene model. That's a very good price, especially if you can pick it up at the factory there in California.

Old 03-25-2016, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
CaptnRick, Girard offered to sell me a Gen3 model for $400 plus shipping to replace my gene model. That's a very good price, especially if you can pick it up at the factory there in California.
I just spoke to Kyle Johnston at Girard. Nice guy, very helpful and knowledgeable. I told him we were fairly happy with our heater except in the case of high incoming water temp. We discussed the difference between theirs and the Atwood. I am still sold on upgrading the Girard, it is now ordered and on the way. They are manufactured and shipped out of the Indiana office I found out. The downside with any of these is the outer door must be painted to match. I'll cross that bridge when it arrives next week.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #17

Capnrick, please make sure you let us all know how the installation goes, with pictures if possible. I think the unit comes with a new control dial which may require running a new control line. My dealer silver soldered the leaks in my frozen heater. It supposedly works now, but I haven't tried it yet. We just got back to Colorado Springs (and two feet of snow) from a road trip to Arizona (minus the motorhome). Had a great time hiking and rockhounding in the Tombstone area near the old mines. We found turquoise, pyrite, and all kinds of other cool rocks. Hope to return in a couple weeks to look for property there. The long cold snowy winters here in Colorado Springs are getting too much for us.

A Happy Easter to everyone!

Old 03-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Capnrick, please make sure you let us all know how the installation goes, with pictures if possible. I think the unit comes with a new control dial which may require running a new control line. My dealer silver soldered the leaks in my frozen heater. It supposedly works now, but I haven't tried it yet. We just got back to Colorado Springs (and two feet of snow) from a road trip to Arizona (minus the motorhome). Had a great time hiking and rockhounding in the Tombstone area near the old mines. We found turquoise, pyrite, and all kinds of other cool rocks. Hope to return in a couple weeks to look for property there. The long cold snowy winters here in Colorado Springs are getting too much for us.

Very cool area to live in my opinion. Beautiful desert (my wife disagrees with that since she hates desert), unique plants and lots to do. And it has a bit of altitude so it isn't nearly as hot as the lower desert like Phoenix.
I for sure will report on the install. Was scoping that out just now, looks simple. I will mount the control under the sink, close to the back of the heater. No need to change the control once a temperature is selected, and any potentiometer works best with the shortest wires.
We could get along with the current heater just fine, I just want the latest just because.
I still say you found the best RV dealer on the planet.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:06 AM   #19

Quote:

I will post pictures in a few days when I am totally done with the WH install. It is in and working and it is GREAT from what I can tell. Will take me a few days to finish painting the door since there are two colors and I want clear coat on it as well. Cool Vanilla coat done today. I have rigged up some long black garden hoses to really warm up the incoming water temp. to see how it handles that. Was our only dislike on the old heater.

I did not like what I saw with regard to the gray water hose routing under the sink (picky picky) so tomorrow's project is to see what I can come up with to change it.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:11 AM   #20

Upgraded to the Generation III Girard water heater

Even though we have not experienced all the technical difficulties with the Girard Gen. II heater as some on this forum, we were just not happy with the poor temperature control and total inability to deal with incoming water temperature variances. I contracted Kyle Johnson at Girard. He was great to work with and I got a great price on the upgraded unit. Did all the install myself, was not bad. Just about finished with painting the door which is the most difficult part of the job. I know FR has moved on the Atwood, but this unit is just great. They have really learned a lot the last couple years with this technology. Higher max. BTU's and outstanding temperature control and an LCD screen so you can even monitor what is going on and the temp. output. I will post as much as I can just as an FYI.

Materials needed:
(2) 90 degree 1/2" PEX x 1/2" NPT female fittings
(2 feet) 1/2" PEX pipe
several feet of back and red 14 ga. primary wire
(1) 12V on/off switch and mounting bezel
(4') butyl rubber sealant tape, or tube of clear silicone
(4) 1/2" PEX clamps
Will need to have a working knowledge of PEX plumbing and a good clamp install tool.

This unit draws .2 amps all the time so for dry campers, it is recommended to install an on/off switch so you don't have that phantom draw all the time. On shore power, not a problem to just leave on.

I attached a few pics, 12V on/off switch, plumbing connections, the cool LCD screen, door being painted, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160404_150719.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	104540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160405_124916.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	104541   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160405_133232.jpg
Views:	71