Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM   #1

On-Demand Water Heater

Any of you out there know the best on-demand water heater to replace the Girard that comes in the Legacy? We just returned from a 3-week trip to southern Arizona. During our stay, the water heater leaked like a sieve when I first tried it. Apparently some water remained in it during storage in cold Colorado weather which resulted in several pipes bursting in the water heater. Nothing else was affected since I had drained and blew out the water lines and put antifreeze in the traps and water pump. My bad in not winterizing the water heater better I guess! Anyways, I need to replace it. Any recommendations on a good replacement on-demand heater -- one with better hot water control, freeze protection during cold weather camping, and easy to winterize for cold winter storage?

Other than no hot water, we had a great 3-week trip in the Legacy from Colorado Springs to southern Arizona and return. No other issues. We just got back last night. Now I need to figure out a replacement heater and scrape up the money for one since warranties all have exceptions for freeze problems.
Thanks for your ideas!

2015 Legacy 340KP w/2014 Honda CRV (TOAD)
2015 Chevy Silverado 1500HD
ajk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #2
7 Year Class A RV'er

The Girard does gave freeze protection, BUT....it is an add-on options (my Legacy came with it) and it works by turning on the burner intermittently at temps below 35F. Therefore, no gas and battery, no freeze protection. I'm also not sure if and/or how you get all the piping empty. We're in central Florida, so it's not an issue. So far as a replacement, there is a new generation of the Girard out now and I think Girard will give you a huge discount on the cost (I've heard rumblings around $500). There is also an Atwood that fits in the same place but will require repainting of the access door as it's different from the Girard. Try calling Girard in California and talk to ?Kyle Johnston. He's a great help and very, very knowledgeable. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

In case you need it:

Kyle Johnston
kyle@girardrv.com
Account Manager| G I R A R D P R O D U C T S
A WOMAN OWNED COMPANY
1361 CALLE AVANZADO, SAN CLEMENTE, CA 92673
(866) 559-1221 Ext. 4032 Office | (949) 276-5502 Fax

Old 02-18-2016, 09:48 PM   #4

Any idea what the model number is for the Girard Gen3 water heater, or where I can find it? I can't find any information regarding a Girard Gen 3 unit on the internet either on Girard's or any other website. Girard has a Gen2 model GSMH-1m, but I can't find a gen3 model anywhere.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #5
7 Year Class A RV'er

You'll find all the info you need at Girard Products, LLC | Green RV Company | Green RV Companies | Sustainable RV Company | Girard Products, LLC | Girard Green RV Products | Eco Friendly RV Companies | Best Green RV Companies | RV Companies The Leader in Green Technology for RV’s Gir. I have the Gen 2; Gen 3 came out a couple of months ago. If you call Kyle, he'll be able to tell you who has it in stock. He'll most likely make you a better price than anyone else, too, since you already had the Gen 1.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #6

Thanks. I'll call them in the morning.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #7

Please post what you find out. I'm really getting tired of dealing with the sudden scalding, although the sudden very cold water feels good on the burn.
In all seriousness, my wife has multiple sclerosis and can't react to the temp changes and move or adjust the water flow as I can. This creates safety problems. We deal with it by taking very luke warm showers and still get the surging temps.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

aeroshots: I had the same problem before they fixed it the final time (actually had a blistered spot about 4" across on my shoulder!). Are you mixing cold water with the hot when showering? I've found I can do that if I'm very careful and make the adjustment slowly, but the best results are just to use all hot water. I keep the temp rise adjustment knob set pretty low, so the water temp is comfortable that way. Also, they tell me air in the lines can cause the surging, so I make sure to bleed all the air out of the water hose (by running water through it) before hooking up to the coach each time. If you're already doing this and still have the problem, call Kyle Johnston at the number I listed above. He's a really nice guy and will step you through checking stuff over the phone. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

Aeroshots (and others), I'm researching Atwood and Suburban models. I'm also going to call Girard today about possible existence of a "generation 3" model which I can't find on the internet. I'll post the results of my findings.

It appears all tankless water heaters out there are having similar complaints about water temperature changes/surges during use.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk123 View Post
Aeroshots (and others), I'm researching Atwood and Suburban models. I'm also going to call Girard today about possible existence of a "generation 3" model which I can't find on the internet. I'll post the results of my findings.

It appears all tankless water heaters out there are having similar complaints about water temperature changes/surges during use.
Sorry that happened to your heater. I am planning on upgrading to the Girard Gen III at some point. Doing some house remodeling right now and don't have time to fool with it. When the time comes, I plan to visit the Girard plant in person. Only about 50 miles from us.

Tags
heater, water, water heater