Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Peekaboo, now I see you instrument panel.

It has been so hard to drive my new Legacy C38 with the major blunder in the design of the instrument panel.
You can't see it all unless you lean forward to see the bottom part like the warning lights or any of the digital display.

I got tired of it so I pulled it all apart and re-arranged it a bit... here it is...
I hope it helps someone out there.
Click image for larger version

Name:	legacy-c38 I panel a la SPCF-1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	199135

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

WEll, a before picture would have been good. I am assuming the digital stuff was on the bottom under the airbag?? Couldn't you adjust the steering wheel (is it not tilting??)? I mean, it looks good, but I would have had to see it before.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:51 AM   #3

your Legacy is almost identical to my own Freightliner dash in my Palazzo - and yes, it sometimes seems as though the layout is not as 'viewable', depending on the height of the driver, the tilt of the steering wheel, and how close your seat, etc... though I imagine this could be the same for any and every coach out there.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #4

Here is the old one on top of the new, I am 5'8" and the tilt is fully down, I am sitting at a comfortable position I drive.
Just could not see the lower part of the display at all. I could have moved it all up another 1/8 in but it looked a bit off center.
At least now I can see all the gauges important parts all the time without leaning forward.

Attachment 199135

Click image for larger version

Name:	legacy-c38 I panel-b4.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	199187

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #5

Nicely done! That is a serious improvement.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Wow, yeah, they sure couldda moved that layout up a couple of inches for sure. I see why you did it now. It's too bad you couldn't get the paneling from the original dash. But what you did looks great.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #7

Great idea. I have the same problem. Can you describe the process to move it? what did you cover the original hole with?
North Carolina Mountains
scfishnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfishnman View Post
Great idea. I have the same problem. Can you describe the process to move it? what did you cover the original hole with?

Simple.

I removed the board with the instrument cluster by just removing the screws holding it down, pulled it back a bit to access the wire harness.

Noted each harness plug going to each instrument and unplug them all.
removed all instruments from the board by removing the holding clamp in the back or the 4 screws holding the digital display.
Got me a piece of thin wall paneling left over from old remodel job at home and cut it to size, the thickness of the panel was almost the same as the original.

Lay over the original, drew and cut the outer outline with a small saw on the new panel.

Took new board back to the coach and carefully marked the outline of the hole in the back of the board.
Note: I even out the opening cut out cutting a bigger opening leaving enough edge (about 3/8) to support the board and the screws. Did this to be able to slide the digital display as far up as possible.

Layover the original on the new one to draw the outline of each instrument in its new location starting with the digital display, and the 2 large ones, and marked each new location. Be careful to account for the bezel on the front side, one of mine was a tight fit, almost had to start again.

Drilled and cut out each of them, painted, and got them all back on the new board.

Plugged it all back in and screwed the new board on the dash.

I hope it helps.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.