Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 PM   #1

Propane Tank

Where can I find out how to add a fitting to my propane tank so I can run a hose to my fire pit or barbecue grill?
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Your rig uses a regulator at the tank to make high pressure propane gas into low pressure that is available to your trailer's appliances... chances are your grill or firepit also have regulators attached to the hoses that fit directly to the propane bottle. You can't have two regulators inline feeding any propane device... the one on the trailer is necessary so the other device's regulators have to go.

do a search on this forum for propane regulators... lots has been written about this and ways to adapt your low pressure trailer hose to different propane appliances that use high pressure direct-to-tank connections

I used this thread to make an alteration to my Coleman grill that allows me either low or high pressurize connections...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-108795.html

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #3

What you probably want is a 'propane y splitter' which allows two connections at the tank.
TheGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRL1 View Post
Where can I find out how to add a fitting to my propane tank so I can run a hose to my fire pit or barbecue grill?
I recommend using a second, separate tank (at least 10 or 20 lb) with a double fitting (available anywhere that sells camping accessories). This way you can connect both the fire pit and BBQ at the same time.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #5
Site Team

They make T kits that will install at your propane cylinders, which allows you to run a line off to your BBQ, etc.

You may can find a better price than this one, and possibly even find some with more than one port. This should give you and idea on what you are looking for:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/3-Por...-p/66-8909.htm

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRL1 View Post
Our local Propane supplier has a Technician who installs all the propane fitting and lines as well as hoses like you desire for MH,Trailers,5th wheels,ect! They pressure Check everything after install,the Water Column Test takes some time,but "Better Safe Than Sorry",when it comes to Propane Leaks! Youroo!!
Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Since this is posted in the Legacy section I'll assume you have a permanently mounted propane tank. Regulators on permanently mounted tanks are not always right at the tank. If you are unfamiliar with LP plumbing, it might be worth your while to take it to a certified LP dealer. They should have everything needed to get you what you want.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
Your rig uses a regulator at the tank to make high pressure propane gas into low pressure that is available to your trailer's appliances... chances are your grill or firepit also have regulators attached to the hoses that fit directly to the propane bottle. You can't have two regulators inline feeding any propane device... the one on the trailer is necessary so the other device's regulators have to go.

do a search on this forum for propane regulators... lots has been written about this and ways to adapt your low pressure trailer hose to different propane appliances that use high pressure direct-to-tank connections

I used this thread to make an alteration to my Coleman grill that allows me either low or high pressurize connections...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ll-108795.html

I am well aware of that and that is why I looking for something that would go right at the tank and bypass the regulator for the motor home. I think the Camco device in one of the other post is what I am looking for.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
I recommend using a second, separate tank (at least 10 or 20 lb) with a double fitting (available anywhere that sells camping accessories). This way you can connect both the fire pit and BBQ at the same time.

...VTX-Al

Already have a permanently mounted 24 gal propane tank. Don't want to carry another tank.
Was hoping that somebody with a Legacy may have already done this.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #10

I added a gas quick connect with shutoff valve in passenger side wet bay. Remove white paneling and you have good access to tie into gas line at area of furnace. Put a small floor hatch in and had a 25 foot gas hose made to run to my grill. You can operate any grill by removing the regulator on grill as you don't want it double regulated. Anything downstream of the main tank is already regulated.

Works great and no more carrying additional tanks!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank