Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #1
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Ready to Buy

DW and I are going to make the switch to Diesel Pusher from the Georgetown. We both love the Legacy 340 Bunkhouse model. We had also looked at the Thor Palazzo but were terrified of the Schwintek Slide issues that plague the Thor. Does anyone know what slide mechanism is installed on the Legacy? I also would love to know what your experiences are with the Bunkhouse version of the Legacy. We tow 4 down, the Ford Flex which is 4400 pounds. The GT does a good job on towing but I think a Diesel Pusher would do better. Please give me your recommendations.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Hi
We have owned the Legacy 340 BH since January and love it so far. We tow a 4600lb jeep with no issues and have been averaging about 10.5 mpg towing and 11 without the jeep in the first 4000 miles. That is hand calculated numbers.

I was somewhat worried with the slide but it is my understanding that it really boils down to how everything with the slide is assembled by the rv mfg and in proper tolerances. Ours has been good to us so far!

If you have any other specific questions let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post
DW and I are going to make the switch to Diesel Pusher from the Georgetown. We both love the Legacy 340 Bunkhouse model. We had also looked at the Thor Palazzo but were terrified of the Schwintek Slide issues that plague the Thor. Does anyone know what slide mechanism is installed on the Legacy? I also would love to know what your experiences are with the Bunkhouse version of the Legacy. We tow 4 down, the Ford Flex which is 4400 pounds. The GT does a good job on towing but I think a Diesel Pusher would do better. Please give me your recommendations.

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #3

size of diesel engine

We are considering the Legacy but noticed the small size engine compared to the weight of the vehicle. Have you had any experience with the coach in the mountains?
Appreciate getting your feedback
folkertk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Ready to Buy

Both the Palazzo & Legacy have the Schwintec slide system.

I owned a Palazzo for 22 month. Slide was repaired 3 times & was stripped out when I traded it. No more Thor products for me.

Haven't read where the legacy has had the slide issues?? I think it had to do with the way the total coach is built.

Thor runs them out the door & let's you bring it back to the factory to be patched up later. Most of the time the trip to the factory is at your expense.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspage53 View Post

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS

I think FR just came out with a 38' bunk house Berkshire. and a new 34 or 35' Berkshire. Don't think the 34 is a bunkhouse??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #6

The new 38rb has and bath & 1/2 plus bunkhouse. It's a really nice floorplan.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

We are at Lazy Days in Tampa, about to pull the trigger on a Legacy 360rb! We are trading in our Forest River FR3, 30 ft we bought a year ago. Want to upgrade for diesel, bath and a half and washer and dryer. We LOVE the floor in our FR3 and also the media/audio center and can't believe the lack of quality in either of those in the Legacy. Anyone have experience with this? Your floor hold up? Any other thoughts too....
Semperfi1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #8

Legacy is nice but check it over. I bought mine 45 days ago ( bought it over Labor Day weekend) from Lazydays and have run into a bevy of issues (search for my post). It's not Lazydays fault but I just found out that I have water in my rear bedroom from a huge rain storm we just had 3 days ago. I think that it's a leaking slide. It kinda frustrating since the Rv is 45 days old and I have only taken it out once. If you want some more insight, DM me and I can share more about the Legacy or Lazydays experience
" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperfi1961 View Post
We are at Lazy Days in Tampa, about to pull the trigger on a Legacy 360rb! We are trading in our Forest River FR3, 30 ft we bought a year ago. Want to upgrade for diesel, bath and a half and washer and dryer. We LOVE the floor in our FR3 and also the media/audio center and can't believe the lack of quality in either of those in the Legacy. Anyone have experience with this? Your floor hold up? Any other thoughts too....
Haven't had any issues with the flooring, actually like it more than the carpeting we had in previous coach.wife Got some nice runners and throw carpets to make it more cozy though.

As for the POS entertainment system, the first thing I did was replace the soundbar with a polk audio soundbar that has Bluetooth. What a difference, has a small subwoofer. Tv and movies sound great and you can play music from ipad/iphone and also sounds great. I highly recommend this upgrade.

I'm trying to figure out where I can add two speakers up front in driving area, I like music while drivkng and the two in the ceiling aren't enough for me!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
Tinkerer and Putterer

I looked into the Legacy and Palazzo and was told that the problems with the slide boiled down to how it is installed. Thor installs the slide empty and then assembles on chassis while FR pre-assembles the components in the slide prior to installing it into the chassis. No loading on the mechanism related to installation help to ensure a solidly operating mechanism. I was still nervous about such a large slide and all the weight associated with it so stuck with my C for now until I've seen more reviews regarding the mechanism.
HappyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote