Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Roof leak (From Satellite wires thru roof) - suggestions ASAP

So I'm out camping on our first long trip (Disney Fort Wilderness)

We came back to the motorhome from a day at the parks to find water splattered all over my laptop. After taking apart the overhead cabinets (where the TV/Coax switcher, etc is located) - I found the water was leaking in thru where the dealership ran the Wingard cables through the ceiling (drilled).

Obviously they didn't seal too well - It looks like when looking at on the roof that the sealant they used is well applied, however it has a void between the two wires that come through the ceiling is probably not fully sealed so the water is wicking in, with the crazy rain we're getting that little wicking has turned into almost a constant drip.

For now I've tried to make the motorhome tip front to back front higher so the water doesn't run in, but it's just slowing it down.

I plan to run over to Camping World to get some silicone and whatever other sealant however I was looking for suggestions on what types of sealant to use.

I had planned to rip up the existing stuff, seal all down in the hole around all the wires with silicone, then apply the thicker white sealant whatever it is on top.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Getting pulled away from my plants at the park with the family to try and get this fixed before it turns into more of a problem.
doofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:38 AM   #2

Leak

Sorry to hear of your problems. I have seen the same with many installs...we are moving to have a system installed this summer and I have already had this item made up to eliminate such a problem...my shop made this up for me out of stainless and it stands only 4 inches high...thus no clearance problem...

No way water will ever be a problem with this and the flat base allows a great seal to the deck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gooseneck-cable-flashing-model-cgs.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	108229  
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Your going to want dicor sealant or I like a product called geocell pro flex Rv. This stuff works like the dicor but it hardens a bit more and seems more durable over time to resist flaking and cracking.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
Sorry to hear of your problems. I have seen the same with many installs...we are moving to have a system installed this summer and I have already had this item made up to eliminate such a problem...my shop made this up for me out of stainless and it stands only 4 inches high...thus no clearance problem...

No way water will ever be a problem with this and the flat base allows a great seal to the deck...
Great recommendation for the OP's issue. Maybe you can entice your shop to get one made up for the OP today and get it to the OP this afternoon.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

This is what the installers in my area use, or something like it:

Amazon.com: Winegard CE1000 Single Cable Entry Plate: Automotive

They lay the cable in the grove, smother the bottom and groove with a material like Dycor, position the plate over the hole, then screw down the plate as additional protection.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I suggest you NOT use silicone.
While silicone is a good sealer by itself, nothing else will stick to it and can create headaches when used with other sealing products.

Dicor and/or Eternabond tape would be my choice..

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

I would suggest SELF LEVELING DICOR applied liberally to get you fixed up right now. When you get back I would see about putting in the permanent solutions mentioned in the other posts. They really do seem to be very good solutions, but when you have more time

Good Luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofoo View Post

We came back to the motorhome from a day at the parks to find water splattered all over my laptop. After taking apart the overhead cabinets (where the TV/Coax switcher, etc is located) - I found the water was leaking in thru where the dealership ran the Wingard cables through the ceiling (drilled).

Obviously they didn't seal too well - It looks like when looking at on the roof that the sealant they used is well applied, however it has a void between the two wires that come through the ceiling is probably not fully sealed so the water is wicking in, with the crazy rain we're getting that little wicking has turned into almost a constant drip.

For now I've tried to make the motorhome tip front to back front higher so the water doesn't run in, but it's just slowing it down.

I plan to run over to Camping World to get some silicone and whatever other sealant however I was looking for suggestions on what types of sealant to use.

I had planned to rip up the existing stuff, seal all down in the hole around all the wires with silicone, then apply the thicker white sealant whatever it is on top.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Getting pulled away from my plants at the park with the family to try and get this fixed before it turns into more of a problem.
Don't use silicone! PSW757's advice on sealant is right on the mark.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I would suggest SELF LEVELING DICOR applied liberally to get you fixed up right now. When you get back I would see about putting in the permanent solutions mentioned in the other posts. They really do seem to be very good solutions, but when you have more time

Good Luck!

Yeah that's actually what I used. I cleaned up a portion of the existing dicor and put some more on. All good now, we will see with the next storm tonight.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:16 AM   #10
Canadian Member

A picture of the spot where the wires go into the roof would be helpful.

For now I'll offer this. For a more permanent solution, use Eternabond tape. If you can, spread the 2 wires enough to be able to stick the Eternabond down well between them and extending the Eternabond over and past where the wires go into the roof. Then apply the Dicor self-levelling sealant around the edges of the Eternabond. ProFlex RV is a great sealant for vertical surfaces but it's not self-levelling and you'll probably need self-levelling for a roof application.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
A picture of the spot where the wires go into the roof would be helpful.

For now I'll offer this. For a more permanent solution, use Eternabond tape. If you can, spread the 2 wires enough to be able to stick the Eternabond down well between them and extending the Eternabond over and past where the wires go into the roof. Then apply the Dicor self-levelling sealant around the edges of the Eternabond. ProFlex RV is a great sealant for vertical surfaces but it's not self-levelling and you'll probably need self-levelling for a roof application.
The pro flex Rv isn't self leveling however if you take your time applying instead of just putting globs of it down it can work well and level out the same as Dicor, I think it is a better product.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:44 PM   #12

Two questions: 1) what do you use prior to laying down the Eternabond? I've seen directions to use the Eternabond cleaner and primer (pricey), acetone or mineral spirits (both on a rag, never poured on rubber roof) and then wiped with rubbing alcohol. 1) any suggestions on removing existing silicone (it's on the aluminum sides of the trailer)? Thanks!
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #13

Use dicor sealant. Its what works the best and is designed for applications like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofoo View Post

" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
Two questions: 1) what do you use prior to laying down the Eternabond? I've seen directions to use the Eternabond cleaner and primer (pricey), acetone or mineral spirits (both on a rag, never poured on rubber roof) and then wiped with rubbing alcohol. 1) any suggestions on removing existing silicone (it's on the aluminum sides of the trailer)? Thanks!
For applying Eternabond tape, clean the roof as you normally would. I used acetone to clean the existing Dicor sealant and then used EternaPrime spray before placing the tape. DO NOT get acetone or other solvents on the rubber or TPO roof membrane. It's OK on a fiberglass MH roof though.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:54 PM   #15

Here is a video that might help. It talks about both Dicor and Eternabond.

" On the go to see something amazing"
- Psalm 107:23-24
lrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof, satellite