Old 04-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #1

RV Driver's License in NC

Is a driver's license other than the standard Class C license for driving a car required to drive a Legacy motor home?

What license do those of you in NC have.

North Carolina Mountains
scfishnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #2

Your standard NC license is good up to 26,000 GVWR.

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2018 Ford F-350, 4x4, Diesel, CC, Long Bed
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:17 AM   #3

According to Legacy literature, the Legacy SR 340 has a GVWR above 26,000 pounds.

Anyone from NC know what must be done to obtain the proper license?
North Carolina Mountains
scfishnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Usually Confused Member

Like a lot of states, NC gives confusing info.

From their official website:

Commercial driver licenses are required for drivers – paid or volunteer – who operate vehicles in North Carolina that are designed or used to transport passengers or property.
They are not required to drive recreational vehicles, military equipment, fire and/or emergency equipment or certain farm vehicles, but a driver must have a regular license of the appropriate class.

Georgia says the same thing and I know as fact that in Georgia you can drive ANY RV with a normal non commercial license..even a 55,000 pound Prevost.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #5

Part of the confusion here is the word "commercial". You can have a Class A or Class B license that is non-commercial. In texas you would be required to have a non-commercial Class B to drive a motorhome with GVWR over 26,000 lbs, and many states follow the same requirements. There was an extensive discussion here on the forum a couple of months ago.

In the above comment the statement "a driver must have a regular license of the appropriate class" would indicate a Class B license was required.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #6

Call the local barracks State Police and ask. I find them more knowledgeable the the DMV.
Goldwing 1800GL
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #7

It's the Gubbamint - They are incapable of making anything simple or easy.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

NC requires a NONcommercial class a license for over 26,0000# total, MH or TV and trailer. The license requires a written and driving test. When taking the driving test make sure you have any class a licensed person with you.

Surely some may be licensed but of the 40 or more I know that are over gvwr not one has the license, all just the regular class C.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfishnman View Post
Is a driver's license other than the standard Class C license for driving a car required to drive a Legacy motor home?

What license do those of you in NC have.
If you have a "CDL" license, you will get some insurance benefits, 'most' states do not require a special license for RVs.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
NC requires a NONcommercial class a license for over 26,0000# total, MH or TV and trailer. The license requires a written and driving test. When taking the driving test make sure you have any class a licensed person with you.
I think you will find only a Class B is required for a MH unless you are towing a trailer over 10,000 lbs.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #11

One of the things that makes it really confusing is the distinction between business owners transporting RVs from manufacturers to RV dealerships, RV shows, and RV owners.

The RV manufactures, dealers, and associated transport companies ARE engaged in interstate commerce so the FMCSA regulations DO apply to them so the RVIA applies for the renewal of the exemption every cycle and i5 can be found at the link below if you are interested.

https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...ces/2018-03367

RV owners are NOT engaged in interstate commerce so the FMCSA regulations do not apply.

383.3 Applicability.
(a) The rules in this part apply to every person who operates a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate, foreign, or intrastate commerce, to all employers of such persons, and to all States.

The states however can do what they want to their residents which is why there is a patchwork of state regulations that apply to their residents. Below is a summary.

RV Driver's License Requirements

As always, verify locally with your state.

Bob
Old 04-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #12

RV's are exempt from CDL'S in North Carolina.
And a lot of folks don't know that pulling a travel trailer or 5th wheel in nc doesn't require weighted tags.
The folks where you purchase your tags will make you think so, not true!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
In the above comment the statement "a driver must have a regular license of the appropriate class" would indicate a Class B license was required.
That above statement, at its very beginning stated it was for Commercial Licenses.

The very next sentence stated that the Commercial license Was Not required for recreational vehicles. They exempted them!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #14

Douglas, I agree, they exempted them from a commercial drivers license. BUT, they did not exempt them from a regular (non-commercial) Class A or Class B license. That being said I also agree that very few drivers of large RVs have a non-commercial Class A or B and it is rarely enforced. We've even had state troopers on the forum state they never check for it.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #15
Lacey's Spring, AL

I always find this topic a confusing mess... but my real question are these, which I answer with my own opinion, having licensing in both Ga, and now Nc, over the last several years and with my own motorcoach, and having traveled over 94,000 miles.
Police, Sheriff, and state troopers pass frequently, and have never given pause to my 'rig', or it's size, length, or weight:

- does any of this 'special licensing' matter when you are traveling/driving in another state? no. Other states don't care, and don't have any bearing over what 'your' state requires - they only require a valid driver license from your state.

- does it even matter when driving your rig in your OWN state? probably not. Even if you were pulled over, or in an accident, would the authority who looks at your license even care? would they 'weigh' your coach to find out? would they 'measure' your coach to know? would they look up your license to find you have 20 years of good driving? probably not. You're not a commercial vehicle. You're not subject to weigh scales or DOT inspection or DOT hours of service rules or DOT requirements of any kind. Even most of your state troopers are not looking for a 'special' license, and certainly not your local police and sheriff folks.

- does any 'special' license make you any of a 'better' or 'safer' driver of your rig just 'because' you have that? No.

- do most of your state license employees even 'know' what you are talking about. NO.

I've seen many folks go out a buy a motorcycle, and drive for years not even knowing that there is such a thing as a 'Motorcycle Endorsement' for their license, which they are supposedly 'required' to have. I've never heard of a motorcycle rider getting pulled over and cited for a failure to have this endorsement, or a RV owner failing to have some 'special' endorsement on their license either.

While some states may have these 'little known' endorsement requirements, it's doubtful that most RVrs will know of them, will understand them, or will find very many at the local level who even can explain them. If you go out of your way to get one, don't be shocked that it takes more effort to educate THEM that it's even a 'requirement' in the first place.

I would highly doubt that you'll also find any police, sheriff, or state trooper who will tell you that they really 'care' so much about this gray area of your license. It's like an endorsement that you require glasses while driving, and yet you were pulled over while 'not' wearing your glasses... is that really going to result in a citation? Doubtful.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I always find this topic a confusing mess... but my real question are these, which I answer with my own opinion, having licensing in both Ga, and now Nc, over the last several years and with my own motorcoach, and having traveled over 94,000 miles.
Police, Sheriff, and state troopers pass frequently, and have never given pause to my 'rig', or it's size, length, or weight:

- does any of this 'special licensing' matter when you are traveling/driving in another state? no. Other states don't care, and don't have any bearing over what 'your' state requires - they only require a valid driver license from your state.

- does it even matter when driving your rig in your OWN state? probably not. Even if you were pulled over, or in an accident, would the authority who looks at your license even care? would they 'weigh' your coach to find out? would they 'measure' your coach to know? would they look up your license to find you have 20 years of good driving? probably not. You're not a commercial vehicle. You're not subject to weigh scales or DOT inspection or DOT hours of service rules or DOT requirements of any kind. Even most of your state troopers are not looking for a 'special' license, and certainly not your local police and sheriff folks.

- does any 'special' license make you any of a 'better' or 'safer' driver of your rig just 'because' you have that? No.

- do most of your state license employees even 'know' what you are talking about. NO. True statement

I've seen many folks go out a buy a motorcycle, and drive for years not even knowing that there is such a thing as a 'Motorcycle Endorsement' for their license, which they are supposedly 'required' to have. I've never heard of a motorcycle rider getting pulled over and cited for a failure to have this endorsement, or a RV owner failing to have some 'special' endorsement on their license either.

While some states may have these 'little known' endorsement requirements, it's doubtful that most RVrs will know of them, will understand them, or will find very many at the local level who even can explain them. If you go out of your way to get one, don't be shocked that it takes more effort to educate THEM that it's even a 'requirement' in the first place.

I would highly doubt that you'll also find any police, sheriff, or state trooper who will tell you that they really 'care' so much about this gray area of your license. It's like an endorsement that you require glasses while driving, and yet you were pulled over while 'not' wearing your glasses... is that really going to result in a citation? Doubtful.
I live in Illinois and I tried to upgrade my license from my current 8000# class to a 26,000+# class. I was given the CDL manual. I told them I didn't want a CDL, just a higher rating for my 5th wheel. They told me there is no such thing in Illinois. Don't know if they are right or wrong but I am not going to pursur it any further.
grumpyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:23 PM   #17

Google "table of state rv driver license laws" to find any number of tables that show RV License Requirements for each state. Most confusion arises because most or many state codes read like Florida. I can point to 20 or 30 or more statements in the Florida Code that seem to indicate that weight triggers a higher license requirement. However, like many or most states, there is one code section that exempts all RVs (pretty much everything not "commercial") from all the special license requirements. So if you are not trying to make money, it's an RV, and no special license required. Now if you declare your race car or whatever a "business" for tax purposes or you have a sponsor, you might be considered commercial.

Here's a few of the tables. There are a few discrepancies, so if any apply to your state, you may have to do a bit more research to be sure.

RV Driver's License Requirements

https://rvmiles.com/rv-drivers-license-requirements/

https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/

https://www.godownsize.com/rv-driving-license-guide/
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

- does it even matter when driving your rig in your OWN state? probably not. Even if you were pulled over, or in an accident, would the authority who looks at your license even care?

I've never heard of a motorcycle rider getting pulled over and cited for a failure to have this endorsement, or a RV owner failing to have some 'special' endorsement on their license either.

You might be able to “get by” for many years, and maybe forever, before you get caught not having the required license. Having no special RV license requirements in Florida, I have no idea how seriously law enforcement officers in other jurisdictions take their laws. My experience says that STATE OFFICERS WILL KNOW ALL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS. Special requirements are not "little known" to state officers. Seriousness of enforcement, I do not know. I would hope that the county and city officers would know, but they can be a mixed bag.

Having to "educate" the licensing issuing agency "that it's even a 'requirement' in the first place" will not be an issue. It's not necessary to convince them you will be driving any particular vehicle that requires any endorsement. It doesn't matter whether or not they know what you are talking about. They absolutely WILL know EVERY classification and what it takes to get the endorsement. They don't care what you actually drive. They probably don't want to hear about it. Not their job.

If you feel it’s too hard or too much trouble to learn about or comply with your state laws, you might want to risk it. To each their own.

I can tell you that motorcycle endorsements DO matter in Florida, and I endured the PITA to get my endorsement. I don’t want to give enforcement officers any more power than they already have over me. Maybe they won’t make you park your rig and call for a licensed driver. But maybe they will…
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #19

This subject gets beaten to death often.

Glad I live in a state that has permanent RV license plates, and exempts all RV's from needing any special drivers licenses, and pays no attention to what they weigh.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote