Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Safe-T-Plus Steering Control Feedback

Would like to hear feedback from anybody that has a Safe-T-Plus installed. Noticeable difference?
Legacy Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Owner View Post
Would like to hear feedback from anybody that has a Safe-T-Plus installed. Noticeable difference?

I have a Saf-T-plus on my 2014 legacy and it makes a big difference in my opinion.

The steering wheel always comes back to center on its own now just like a car. It's also easier to drive when you have significant cross winds.

I took 2 trips from LA to Colorado without the sad-t-plus. My forearms were toast for 2 weeks after each trip from battling to keep the coach on the road through 20+ mph cross winds in Utah and Nevada.

It took much less effort to drive the same cross winds after the saf-t-plus was installed. In my experience, it was worth every penny.

-Jonathan
MERJnTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #3

Great, thanks for the feedback. Do you remember how much it was to install?
Legacy Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #4

I had it installed at the dealer, but it was almost 3 years ago. I think it was around $800, but I can't remember the cost now.
MERJnTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 AM   #5

I, too, experienced a "white knuckle" drive a few weeks back. It didn't seem to windy outside but we were basically driving into a headwind. Spent the three hours working hard to keep our rig between the lines. Does the Safe-T-Plus, or similar products, help in situations like this?

Steve
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

Absolutely does. Install on 369xl, cost $700
Frank DeFeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #7

Thanks Frank
Old 08-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #8

This is our third camping season in our Legacy and have logged 28,000 miles to date. (We are not retired). Just had the Safe T Plus installed and are on our first trip. My husbands reaction is that he wished he done it three years ago. He is comfortable using the cruise control for the first time. He loves it. He bought it and intended to install it himself but had no way to get under the coach so he had it installed. Total cost similar to what's quoted here.
SS Groovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

It’s great I was about ready to sell my motor home. I installed it by running the motor home up on a couple blocks. I took my time trying to get everything as straight as I could. I drove it for a test ride and it was almost perfect. I made two very small adjustments. I can easily drive with one hand if I want. Well worth the money for me.
Jim_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

I am getting one installed next week. I will let you know how it works. Most of the time I can handle the movements and it's not too bad, but on long trips, fighting the winds gets old.
Full Time in the Summer, soon
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
CZNEDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
I am getting one installed next week. I will let you know how it works. Most of the time I can handle the movements and it's not too bad, but on long trips, fighting the winds gets old.
Where did you have yours installed?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
Where did you have yours installed?
I'm getting it installed today at Majors RV in Bourne, MA. If you go to the safety plus web site you can find a dealer. I went to CW and Majors for a price. Majors was a little more, but they actually knew what they were doing. It took me five phone calls and two visits in person just to get a price from CW. I'll be driving it this afternoon and will post feedback.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #13

Ok, update. Got the safety plus installed today. Dropped it off at 11:00 am, got picked up at the dealer b a friend. Went to lunch on the cape. We had a nice lunch at the flying bridge, Bloody Mary. Clam chowder and fish and chips. Drive be back, looked around the store for a while and the tech was finished taking it for a second ride and adjustment. We had agreed that they would take it for a ride, make adjustments and then I would pay, take it for a ride and if I liked the way the steering wheel felt, I would keep on going but if I thought it needed another adjustment, I would turn around and come back. It was raining, windy and lots of trucks. Perfect test drive. All worked fine. The steering is tighter, and a lot less play. Easy to one hand steer on the highway. I was even able to send a text to the dealer while driving home (just kidding), but overall, I am pleased with the install and the operation of the safety plus. Well worth it.

[emoji106]
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 11-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZNEDY View Post
Ok, update.........
I am pleased with the install and the operation of the safety plus. Well worth it.
[emoji106]
May I ask why you chose the Safe-T-Plus over the others?
MartyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #15

No real reason, but other than simplicity. I didn't want the (blue Ox, I think) that had the wiring controls. The safety plus looked more rugged and more dealers around the country than the others.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 AM   #16

UPDATE: We just finished a 1,000 mile trip down I-95. Hit some weather on the way, drove in rain/snow mix one day. The safety plus worked well in all conditions. You can still feel the push of air from oncoming trucks, but not as bad as without it. It handles the dips and bumps in the road much better. Glad we had it installed.
Part Time in the Winter
Days Camped, Not Enough