Old 10-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #51

Hitch Capacity

The Forest River printout for the SR300 that my dealer received from Forest River has the information listed for the hitch:

"Trailer Hitch, 10,000 lb
Trailer Hitch Capacity, 5,000 lb"

This information is confusing, however, the rig's GVWR is 28,000lb and GCWR is 33,000lb, a 5,000lb difference for a trailer/TOAD to keep GVWR and GCWR all within specs with a 100% fully loaded rig. Does this mean the towing capacity can really be 10,000lb if your fully loaded rig only weighs 23,000lb, hence keeping GVWR and GCWR within specs?

Dealer told me that the hitch company (not Forest River) has informed him their 10,000lb and 5,000lb hitches are exactly the same except the label placed on them. Given all the above, the most important thing is the keep within all the specs of the rig, including axle capacities. And, keep in mind there is no tongue weight on the hitch from a TOAD vehicle.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #52

Well I weighed ours as well...full water and fuel...came in at 26,400....wife packs a ton...trailer is 4580 lbs...around 31,000 lbs...I talked to my Freightliner dealer this past week and he said the 33 weight is on the low side...brakes are the biggest concern...with my trailer with dual wheels and brakes on all sides he was happy with that....but thinking of buying a larger trailer for Mini cooper and Harleys to ride in.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #53

Although the SR300 engine is identified as 300HP, my dealer (a certified Cummins diesel dealer/mechanic) tweaked my rig to 340HP. He said this is common, and that the SR300 and SR340 have exactly the same engines. They just tweaked the HP on the SR340 to 340HP. In the process, the torque also increased a bit. All other parameters remained the same. He showed me the before and after computer-derived specs (about 6 pages worth).
Old 10-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #54

As promised, following are the issues we found during our camping stay at the RV dealership where we bought our 340KP.
1. At the RV show, the Forest River Rep told us the rig had water tank heat pads. Later at the dealership, we saw there were none. The dealer contacted Forest River and made good their promise and supplied the dealer with the heat pads and electronics to install at no cast to me or the dealer.
2. Rear windows were not closing all the way. Dealer fixed.
3. Rear rubber on kitchen slide was loose. Dealer fixed.
4. I wanted a bug cover over the furnace outlet. Dealer installed. My cost
5. Wanted hydraulic struts to raise the bed. Dealer didn't want to attach to the flimsy walls so I deferred this addition for now.
6. Added SiriusXM radio module to the radio. I paid extra for that.
7. Dealer uncoiled the GPS antenna from under the dash and extended it out along the window for better coverage.
8. Dealer installed two piano hinges on the sofa lower kick panel so we can use under the sofa for easy storage by just lifting up the kick panel. My cost
9. Cover over the light inside generator cabinet was missing. Dealer replaced.
10. Front diamond shield was coming off at the lower driver's side edge. Dealer fixing.
11. Closet doors for the wash machine area and pantry were warped. Forest River is replacing.
12. Several interior cabinet doors were loose, some had bad hinges. Forest River is replacing all the hinges. Dealer aligned the others.
13. Dealer attached a Forest River rock guard. No cost to me for the guard because the Forest River rep said it comes with one. Dealer installed, no cost to me.
14. Dealer installed a tow hitch and Invisibrake for our 2014 Honda CRV TOAD. My cost.
15. Three basement cabinet doors needed adjusting. Dealer fixed.
16. Interior skin on the main door had bubbled in 4 places. Forest River is replacing the door. Also, the deadbolt lock was inoperative. Forest River is replacing the entire locking mechanism. Dealer is making the changes, Forest River is covering costs.
17. Continuous hot water heater was intermittent. Dealer replaced the circuit board and adjusted the flutter valve.
18. Dealer adjusted windshield night shade that was not raising all the way.
19. Two guides that allow the shower enclosure to ride on the lower rails were broken. Forest River is providing and dealer installing.
20. Refrigerator ice maker inoperative, fridge leaking water. Dealer pulled unit out and found waterline was not connected. Dealer fixed.
21. Kitchen slide was 1" off front to rear. Dealer removed and re-aligned the slide. According to Forest River this is not uncommon.
22. Main sewer drain was offset from the hose drain hole. This prevented attaching the drain hose. Dealer re-aligned the sewer drain. Forest River had a partial production run with this problem.
23. Dealer replaced air leveler switch due to constant hissing (leaking down).
24. Water leak below sink. Dealer fixed pipe that was not connected.

That's the brunt of the issues we found while camped at the dealership. We were so upset over all the problems, that we wanted to cancel the purchase deal. We instead negotiated with the dealer who bought us a $5,000 five-year full 100% "bumper-bumper" warranty with Coachnet. Despite all the problems, our dealer treated us very fairly and professionally. If we had not camped out on his lot for several days and caught all these issues, we would have been very unhappy campers. Instead, we're now satisfied. I think it's been a blessing in disguise that we caught all these items before we even left the lot. Forest River too has been very helpful in all of this and has given us 100% satisfaction.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #55

Oh yeah, one more item: As we were leaving the RV Show to the dealership, it was raining extremely heavy and flooding the streets. When we got to the dealership I noticed the front basement cabinet on the passenger side was damp inside, not wet, just damp. I told the dealer and he removed the entire interior of the cabinet and re-caulked it after finding several bad caulking spots. He also re-adjusted the cabinet door. Forest River said this had been a production problem.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:03 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk123 View Post
The Forest River printout for the SR300 that my dealer received from Forest River has the information listed for the hitch:

"Trailer Hitch, 10,000 lb
Trailer Hitch Capacity, 5,000 lb"

This information is confusing, however, the rig's GVWR is 28,000lb and GCWR is 33,000lb, a 5,000lb difference for a trailer/TOAD to keep GVWR and GCWR all within specs with a 100% fully loaded rig. Does this mean the towing capacity can really be 10,000lb if your fully loaded rig only weighs 23,000lb, hence keeping GVWR and GCWR within specs?

Dealer told me that the hitch company (not Forest River) has informed him their 10,000lb and 5,000lb hitches are exactly the same except the label placed on them. Given all the above, the most important thing is the keep within all the specs of the rig, including axle capacities. And, keep in mind there is no tongue weight on the hitch from a TOAD vehicle.
I'm. Not sure how to verify whether or not that all the hitches are 10k and the placards are the limiting factor. Freightliner did tell me I have 10k bolts and brackets mounting it to chassis. This would be nice to know because I wouldn't have to buy a new hitch for nothing then. Maybe I will call Reese the hitch mfg.

And you are correct, if the coach weighs 23k fully loaded with all your gear then yes you can tow 10k.

Our coach weighed roughly 25,500 loaded up.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM   #57

Quote:
Although the SR300 engine is identified as 300HP, my dealer (a certified Cummins diesel dealer/mechanic) tweaked my rig to 340HP. He said this is common, and that the SR300 and SR340 have exactly the same engines. They just tweaked the HP on the SR340 to 340HP. In the process, the torque also increased a bit. All other parameters remained the same. He showed me the before and after computer-derived specs (about 6 pages worth).
Can you explain a little more about this upgrade. I'm well aware of the cummins being easy to get more power out of but it was my understanding that the limiting issue when doing this was the Allison mh2500 transmission. The tranny could take some additional HP but not the torque and the manual says mods would void the tranny warranty.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #58

Wait the rear rock guard is part of the purchase...that is a new one to me
Old 10-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #59

Regarding the rock guard, my dealer said it came with the unit. I didn't ask why.
Regarding the tweaked out engine, it's now the same exact engine and specs that come in an SR340. Transmission is also the same Allison2500. So, although I have a labeled SR300, its been upgraded to an SR340 by the addition of heated mirrors, led awning lights, tank heat pads, and a 340hp engine -- that's the differences between an SR300 and an SR340. I just need to change the front label from SR300 to SR340. And according to FRs records, it is a 2015 model.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Regarding the rock guard, my dealer said it came with the unit. I didn't ask why.
Regarding the tweaked out engine, it's now the same exact engine and specs that come in an SR340. Transmission is also the same Allison2500. So, although I have a labeled SR300, its been upgraded to an SR340 by the addition of heated mirrors, led awning lights, tank heat pads, and a 340hp engine -- that's the differences between an SR300 and an SR340. I just need to change the front label from SR300 to SR340. And according to FRs records, it is a 2015 model.
So what was exactly done to get this upgrade? Was it a computer flash or chip? How much more torque?

Any difference in mpg?