Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
US MARINE

Total solar legacy

Brian Boone is a solar expert who is traveling across the country and installing solar systems as he goes. We have been wanting to go total solar with our legacy and Brain made that possible.

We contacted Brian via FaceBook and arranged for him to stop by and hook us up. He gave us a list of what we needed and we ordered it and had it waiting when he arrived. Right in our driveway, he took two days and worked his buns off to give us a Class, A, Top Notch, solar install.

Now we have 8, 160 watt solar panels (over 1200 watts), two blue sky controllers and never need to use shore power again. It was a blast watching our system easily providing more power than we were using.

We liked it so much I have ordered 4 more 160 watt panels and another controller. This will give us almost 2000 watts of solar power. Brian will be back to install them in a couple of months. With that much solar we will be able to operate one of our ACs on pure solar power, as well as all of our normal lights, TVs,........and all without touching the batteries during the day. The Legacy roof is perfect for the solar install and provides more then enough space to give you all the power you need.
MarineOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
US MARINE

Pics Added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5399.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	442.9 KB
ID:	110065   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5398.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	110066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5402.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	429.7 KB
ID:	110067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5404.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	110068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5411.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	413.6 KB
ID:	110069  

Old 06-03-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

be careful what you drive under. That is the most solar panels I have seen on a rig you sure will be off the grid
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

PM sent to marineone
Old 06-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
Dano

List of goods, suppliers, cost of goods, cost of install ??
When does he get to the left coast.

Dan
dmwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:51 AM   #6
US MARINE

Here is Brian's Blog address. He did a god job listing all of the supplies and what he did. As far as his schedule...contact him via FB and ask. I know that now he is headed East to Nashville and then turns north for the summer, back to my place in West TN. to put on 4 more panels in September, then he and his wife are spending three months in Middle TN. I think he said he was headed back West starting in January.

He's well worth waiting on if you can. When he did my install he charged $75 an hour. Mine was a bit more complicated than some (he had to work in some pretty small spaces) and the weather was very hot and humid. He doesn't take a lot of breaks and works pretty fast. It took him about 11 hours of work to complete mine. He will need another 6 or so hours to put on the other 4 panels when he returns. That is mostly my fault. I didn't decide I wanted the extra 4 panels until after he had already run and installed the main wires so he has to do it again.

Total cost on my project, when he has all 12 panels up, will be about $7000. I have a bit more on my roof than most do or most need so don't let that shock you. That number also includes his labor. The list of materials are on his blog but I started out with 6 FULLRIVER AGM batteries and a Magnum 2000 inverter.
I have a modified sige inverter that came with the coach and it seems to be doing fine but keeping my eye on a pure sine 2800 just incase.

Ill go ahead and list what he has on his blog......

Finished my Solar install in Collierville,Tennessee today. We have (8) 160 watt Solar panels and (2) Blue Sky MPPT Solar Boost 30/24i Controllers. 4 panels to each controller. For a Combined total of 80 Amps / 1280 watts.
This is a 12 volt system. Each Panel is wired separately on #8 wire to a Combiner Box . There I switch to #4 wire going to controller, then batteries.
Wire from controller to batteries has a 50 Amp resettable circuit breaker. Controllers are stacked together ( can stack 7 ).
All controllers run through the Pro Remote. 2 controllers MAIN / SLAVE 1. Main holds Temp Sensor, 2 Amp charge for Starting Batteries, Remote Panel. Installed on a 37 ft. Motorhome.
We are heading to our next job Sunday in Columbia, Tennessee.

He is big on getting the controllers and the remote from AM solar.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:49 AM   #7

Wow! You'll never have to wash your roof again!

Bruce
Old 06-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
US MARINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Wow! You'll never have to wash your roof again!

Bruce
LOL. Part of the master plan.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

What is the AH rating of your batteries?
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
US MARINE

Old 06-05-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
US MARINE

They are FULLRIVER 224 AGMs. Brian also recommended them over Trojans due to the warranty and the luck he has had with Trojans lately.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #12

So 6x6v 224ah batteries? 672ah at 12v

Very nice. I am in the process of installing 855 watts is solar. Only have 200ah at 12v but plan on going to 600ah in the near future
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:03 PM   #13
US MARINE

I would highly recommend that you contact Brain with any questions you have about solar. He has the blog I mentioned (https://gotsolarinstalled.blogspot.com) and can be found on FB (Brian Boone). I can't stress enough how much he helped me in the planning and finally the installation of my solar unit. Even if you don't have him do the install he is more than willing to help with advice and answers. I had him do all the work and Im glad he did. Brian took no short cuts and was good about explaining all that he did to the totally ignorant (me).

We are now planning to add two more batteries to the bank, to make a total of eight. It might be a little overkill but I wont have to worry about going a couple of days without sun and may never run my generator again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5421.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	110227  
Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #14

What specific panels are you using?
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 AM   #15
US MARINE

This should answer this question. It's a cut/paste from their auction on EBay. Best price I found.

AMERICAN MADE 160 WATT SOLAR PANEL

Click for full size image.
Click any image to see it full size
Item Description
they are here American made solar panels made with 100% American labor with 75% American made materials, the glass, cells framing and all wire is made in America, new cells new raw power 160 watt we have added a copy of the flash test we did, this is where our label data comes from we have calibrated factory flash testers, where is your flash test sheet or are the numbers just falling from the sky? ask to see a updated copy of your panel test, good luck!!

these are 160 watt 12 volt solar panels ready for all your needs, they can be used for commercial or residential settings, these are not flimsy panels no they are hardy with 3.2mm tempered glass fronts, the 3 buss bar mono crystalline cells make these panels perfect for low light areas, heavy duty frames that can be used in a bolt down or clamp system, this panel has A transferable 25 yr. limited output warranty, a copy will be sent with every panel,

Panel Specifications 160 watt

Voltage Maximum Power 18,73
Current Maximum Power 8.62
Voltage Open Circuit 23.2
Current Short Circuit 8.95
Dimensions (inches) 58.750x26.750x1.6
Weight (lbs) 28 lbs.
MC4 connectors YES

Click for full size image. Click for full size image. Click for full size image. Click for full size image. Click for full size image.

About Us

480v solar
Alternative & Solar Energy

Feedback
Other Auctions

Shipping Details
Domestic Shipping to the lower 48 states:

We ship within after your payment has cleared.
We ship ground. Normally, shipping will take between 5-10 business days.
We will carefully package your solar panels to make sure your item will arrive safely.
Our shipping costs are low to save you money.

Payment Details
We only accept PayPal

PayPal—eBay's service to make fast, easy, and secure payments for your eBay purchases
We accept all forms of payment through PayPal: All major credit cards, instant transfer, and eCheck
If you have any questions about making your payment, please contact us immediately via eBay Messages

Additional Information
100% Customer Satisfaction Guarantee:

Here at HIGHTEC SOLAR INC. , we strive to serve our customers and resolve any issues. If your shopping experience with us is anything less than five stars, please contact us immediately. We appreciate the opportunity to correct any issues yo have before you leave feedback. We appreciate your business and consideration.

You can reach customer support at HIGHTEC SOLAR INC. via telephone @ 219-879-5501 / 219-814-4279 & via eBay Messages

Return Policy:

We know that you will be satisifed with your items. In the case you are not satisfied, please contact us. We will accept returns within 14 days of receiving your item.

Please contact us at HIGHTEC SOLAR INC. Customer Service 7-3:30 cst @ 219-879-5501 / 219-814-4279 & via eBay Messages
If you feel you did not receive the item as described, we will replace your item or refund your payment after the item has been returned. We will quickly and efficiently resolve all issues.

We offer 5 star items with 5 star service if this is not what you recived contact us and we will make it so!

Buyer is responsible for shipping charges for returned items.

Auction templates
Auction templates at BiggerBids.com.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:32 AM   #16
US MARINE

Panel Specifications 160 watt

Voltage Maximum Power 18,73
Current Maximum Power 8.62
Voltage Open Circuit 23.2
Current Short Circuit 8.95
Dimensions (inches) 58.750x26.750x1.6
Weight (lbs) 28 lbs.