Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2017, 12:46 AM   #21
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
Are you still getting the Trans Comm Failed message (or some other message)? I had a similar issue once last summer. I had stopped for gas and when I was ready to leave, it would not shift into D. Of course there were two RVs behind me waiting for the pump. I got a shift inhibited message or something similar, don't remember exactly (but not Trans Comm Failed). The way I was parked, the rear wheels were resting on a speed bump. It did go into Reverse and I backed up a foot or so to get wheels off of the speed bump, then I was able to get it to go to D. I assumed my problem had something to do with the wheels being on the speed bump, but now I wonder. So I too am interested what Freightliner finds/says. Hope you all are having a good holiday season.

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

The Trans Comm Failed message was the results of the data cable that broke when we drove over the short rough spot on I-40 in West Memphis. No more problems with that since they replaced the cable. The shifting problem you described is exactly what's been happening to me. When I went to drive it to .Freightliner this morning, I had to play with it for about five minutes to get it in gear. I finally put it in reverse and let off the brake so it moved slightly backward, then it went into drive. I know there are a number of data readings from various areas that will cause the Shift Inhibited message and my thought is that a sensor somewhere is slightly out of whack. Guess we'll see when they get it figured out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #22

Any new info on this?

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #23
7 Year Class A RV'er

Sort of. Put it in the Freightliner shop last Tuesday. Talked to them today and they had all my issues taken care if except the transmission. They spent most of yesterday on the phone with Allison troubleshooting the issue and are taking it to Allison this afternoon. I wasn't aware of it until Freightliner in Memphis told me, but they aren't allowed to work on the transmissions; those issues gave to go directly to Allison. That tells me it's something in the transmission itsel, not the push button control or cable. Updates as available.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #24
7 Year Class A RV'er

OK. Got the Legacy back home this afternoon and all is well again. The Freightliner folks tried to troubleshoot the issue and decided it was the transmission itself, so the sent it to Allison. Allison checked everything over and said no, it was in the shifter control, which was Freightliner. It got back into Freightliner's shop on Friday and they pulled out the shifter panel and plugged in a new one and it worked. Guess that's the only way to troubleshoot it, but so long as it's fixed under warranty, I'm good with it. I also don't think Freightliner would have authorized them to replace the shifter if they had not already seen some similar issues but that's just my opinion. Hope this helps someone down the line.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Old 01-23-2017, 06:54 PM   #25

Thanks for the update. I wonder how many other shifters FL has replaced for this problem.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:10 PM   #26

Thanks for the update. Since you started that thread, every time I am shifting, it goes through my mind. Glad they got it corrected for you.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #27

You may or may not know it but with the 2500 transmission the shift controller is made by ARENS,. That is why nether Allison or Freightliner know anything about them.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #28

Addressing Transmission issue

My Legacy 360RB has had same issue and like the other I have been able to fiddle with shift selector and get going. This is a hold my breath moment each time I am shifting into drive.
I finally took the time to make an appointment at Freightliner, I am here right now and the Tech seems like he has never heard of such a thing.... Did the shift selector replacement fix the issue? What Freightliner did you use? would like to point them in a direction to save some time.
Thanks!!
Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #29
7 Year Class A RV'er

The shift replacement did fix the problem; worked great all through our last trip (which was a long one). I used the Freightliner dealer in Orlando. They had to take it over to Allison for diagnostics before they could do anything, then replaced the shift mechanism when they got it back from Allison. I;m sure the RV guy there could answer their questions. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #30

Thank You for responding! This Tech seems to think it could be the little motor on Transmission that selects the gear.
Thanks again and good luck to you!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #31
7 Year Class A RV'er

That's what the guy here thought at first, too, thus the trip to Allison. Freightliner is not allowed to get into the transmission. Once Allison checked that out, the only remaining diagnosis was the shifter.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #32

Have not had any issues, but wondering if this is related.
Allison Tech Tip TT8009EN
"Contact the Allison Technical Assistance Center at (800) 252-5283 and reference Tech Tip #TT8009EN"
Old 06-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #33
7 Year Class A RV'er

I got that service bulletin yesterday, too. Haven't had that issue; mine simply wouldn't go from N to D. I thought it might be a sensor issue at first, but replacing the shifter fixed the problem. As fir the TSB, I'll hang on to it just in case, but I really don't want them updating my computer if I don't gave an issue. Thanks great the suggestion, though. Have a great weekend.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
I got that service bulletin yesterday, too. Haven't had that issue; mine simply wouldn't go from N to D. I thought it might be a sensor issue at first, but replacing the shifter fixed the problem. As fir the TSB, I'll hang on to it just in case, but I really don't want them updating my computer if I don't gave an issue. Thanks great the suggestion, though. Have a great weekend.
Back at you my friend. Agreed, the TSB is going in the coach files too.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #35

After a number of trips this spring and summer without incidence of failing to shift into D, I had it happen twice today. First time was after filled up at Pilot FJ (had to apologize to trucker behind me) and second time was after checked in at campground (thought I was going to have to dry camp in parking lot). Both times it took several minutes of trying every combination of gear selections between D, N, and R before it would engage. Also turned engine off and back on (don't think it helped). Conceptumator, is yours still doing ok after getting the shifter replaced? Heading to Gettysburg FROG rally---- hope I make it there and back home without any more occurrences.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #36

Shifter issue

I had this issue, went to FreightLiner Houston and was pleasantly surprised!
The Tech checked connection, did a few tests. He ended up replacing the motor that controls the shifting on side of transmission. All seems to be good now, even shifts into gear much quicker.
Hope this helps!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #37
7 Year Class A RV'er

Mine has done fine since they changed the shifter mechanism. I do know that Freightliner first said they felt the problem was at the transmission, like Englund indicated, so they had to take it to Allison as they are the only people allowed to service the transmission. They diagnosed it as the shifter and returned it to Freightliner for them to replace it. Before they fixed it, I had my best luck shifting from N to R and then to D, but even that was inconsistent. Makes you feel like a fool when someone us waiting and it won't go into gear - I had that experience far too many times.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #38

Conceptumator, when you say shifter, is that the keypad? Just want to be clear. We made it to Gettysburg and back home without further incident.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #39
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
Conceptumator, when you say shifter, is that the keypad? Just want to be clear. We made it to Gettysburg and back home without further incident.
Yes - the keypad was replaced and fixed the issue. Sorry to be so long answering back; we were out for a bit. Feel free to contact me either through here or Facebook if desired; your wife us on my friends list (Joe Bosquez).

Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #40

Transmission Issues Anyone?

On the road to Florida this morning, first rest stop after about 3 hours driving and Legacy won't go into drive. No warning what so ever. Just had a PM done Monday at my local Freightliner dealer and everything was fine.
Still have reverse, talked with Freightliner tech support and nothing they suggested helped.
Waiting to be towed back to a dealer now.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote