Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #1
7 Year Class A RV'er

Transmission Issues Anyone?

Just a heads up that may save someone some trouble down the line. For a while now, I've been having a minor issue with difficulty in putting the transmission on the Legacy into D. Trouble was intermittent and always resolved with a little messing with the electronic shifter. I mentioned it to the Freightliner folks last time I was in for maintenance but I was in a hurry and they needed to keep it if they were going to figure out the problem. Fast forward now to last Saturday afternoon, coming west on I-40 in West Memphis, AR. This stretch of road is AWFUL! Drove over a rough section and suddenly I gave a message up on the display indicating TRANS COMM FAILED. The speedometer quit working and the system dropped into Limp Home mode. Luckily, we found a KOA about 12 miles away with an opening, limped over and sat out the weekend until Freightliner in Memphis opened (Monday). Had it towed in this morning and found the problem. The data cable from the transmission to the main computer failed due to water infiltration at the transmission end causing corrosion of the connector pins. Tech says 36 of the 72 pins in the connector broke, apparently when driving over the rough roadway. New cable is ordered and will be in the morning, couple of hours to install and then hopefully we'll get back on the road. Long story short, if you start having any problems getting into gear, you may want to get this checked. Just glad we weren't another hour into our trip and in the middle of nowhere when things came down. Nobody's fault, just one of those things to watch out for. Stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:46 PM   #2

with all of the computer related electrical connections to sensors, engines, transmissions, brakes, and whatnot, I am surprised there is not more corroded connections making intermittent electrical problems like this reported...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Glad you were relatively close to campground and Freightliner shop. Let us know if Freightliner does anything to new cable to prevent this from happening again.

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #4
7 Year Class A RV'er

I was just posting a shout out for the great service the TAG Truck Center Freightliner folks gave us. Had us on the road within a couple of hours of receiving the part this morning. Great folks! As far as preventing the problem, it appears there are seals on the plug that caused the issue and those seals simply failed. No idea why, just something that happened. All fixed now and going great. If you need service in Memphis, go to a TAG Truck Center on Brooks Ave.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

Good to hear you are are on the road again.

2015 Legacy RB, 2013 CRV toad. Retired USAF. Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 10-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, DrJAG - Enjoyed meeting you guys in Nashville. Hope all went well on your trip home. We've still got about three weeks on the road before we get home for two nights, then off to Fort Wilderness for four more nights. Got to make good use of the RV while we can! ��

Old 10-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

Man, you are correct about those roads in West Memphis. They've been awful since the early 70's. Thanks for the heads up. On the to do list for inspection.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Yep, those roads are terrible! It was interesting talking to the wrecker driver that brought us in. He seemed to know every bump, dip, hole, etc. for miles around. His suggestion? When driving I-40, stay in the left lane and just let some folks be upset about it. Better than destroying your coach. On the westbound side, watch out between MM 268 and 271...that right lane is like a mountain range!

Old 10-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #9

Now you have me worried. I've been having same kind of intermittent problem of getting transmission into D. I keep hitting D and nothing happens. After sitting there a few minutes wondering what I'm doing wrong it goes into gear. It didn't leave me sitting yet but I guess I need to look into this issue. Have 2016 Legacy 340KP. At this point nothing surprise's me, although all my complaints to this point are with the coach builder, not the chassis. My 5th RV and absolutely worst experience with an RV. A little quality control would go a long way. Thanks for the heads up.
Jimmybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Same transmission and same probl I've been having. The cable replacement didn't fix it, so I'm taking it to the shop when we get home. In the interim, I seem to have found a workaround for the issue. Try putting it in R, then on D. Works every time for me. I'll post what I find out once I get it in the shop at home.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #11

I don't know if this will help, but... the technician that walked me around my camper when I purchased it said to always select neutral between shifts. In other words, don't go from d to R or R to d without selecting N first. Y'all might be doing that already. Just throwing it out there.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #12
7 Year Class A RV'er

That's the problem, though....it won't engage to D from N most times. Doesn't seem to be a problem going from N to R, do I go N to R, pause for a second at idle, then go R to D.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
That's the problem, though....it won't engage to D from N most times. Doesn't seem to be a problem going from N to R, do I go N to R, pause for a second at idle, then go R to D.
Sounds like it still needs work. I'd try any combination if n between d and R or R and d did not work. I despise intermittent issues like this. Sorry you are having it.
aeroshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #14
7 Year Class A RV'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshots View Post
Sounds like it still needs work. I'd try any combination if n between d and R or R and d did not work. I despise intermittent issues like this. Sorry you are having it.
Thanks. Intermittent issues are a pain. That's why they couldn't fix it before this trip; Freightliner needed to keep it a few days. I was getting frustrated with it until I discovered the R to D thing worked. Now if it just keeps working!

Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Thanks. Intermittent issues are a pain. That's why they couldn't fix it before this trip; Freightliner needed to keep it a few days. I was getting frustrated with it until I discovered the R to D thing worked. Now if it just keeps working!
Interesting thread, thanks for posting. Always nice to hear of good service from the Freightliner dealers. So far no issues like this for me, but it's always nice to read everything just in case.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:34 AM   #16

What was the fix?

I have a 2015 Legacy 360RB and having same issue. I have found the bounce from R to D works sometimes however at a rest area just east of El Paso that did not want to work. I tried many combos and finally got to engage. We drove home to Houston without taking out of gear. The bad part is now at home it seems to be working fine! I called Freightliner and they seemed like that has never been brought to the table before. Please let me know if this problem gets resolved by anyone.

Thanks!
Englund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

I have an appointment to drop it off with Freightliner next week. I'll try to post their "fix" when I get it back.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #18

Quote:
I have an appointment to drop it off with Freightliner next week. I'll try to post their "fix" when I get it back.
I'm looking forward to see what their fix is. I have not had any issues, but ever since this thread was started, it goes through my mind as I am maneuvering. Just this morning I took the MH out for fuel and I thought of it as the gas station. Heading out in the AM for a month of fun & games in Arizona.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:34 AM   #19

Are you still getting the Trans Comm Failed message (or some other message)? I had a similar issue once last summer. I had stopped for gas and when I was ready to leave, it would not shift into D. Of course there were two RVs behind me waiting for the pump. I got a shift inhibited message or something similar, don't remember exactly (but not Trans Comm Failed). The way I was parked, the rear wheels were resting on a speed bump. It did go into Reverse and I backed up a foot or so to get wheels off of the speed bump, then I was able to get it to go to D. I assumed my problem had something to do with the wheels being on the speed bump, but now I wonder. So I too am interested what Freightliner finds/says. Hope you all are having a good holiday season.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:23 AM   #20

This happened to our 2016 Legacy last December while on a 2200 mile trip. Had to trick it into gear using R then D. Turned out Freightliner had to replace the Selector Switch and harness. Haven't had any problems since then. I am careful to put it into N before changing gears now although I don't really know if I was doing that before or not.