Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 07:23 PM   #1

Water in Storage Compartments

Found quite a bit of water in the front curbside storage compartment of my 360 RB after a recent heavy rain. Anyone else have this occur?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #2

I have water issues in my basement as well in my 340BH. I would say 3 or 4 of them are wet after driving in the rain. I am thinking of just spraying the outside of the boxes with a flex seal type spray.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mons02035 View Post
I have water issues in my basement as well in my 340BH. I would say 3 or 4 of them are wet after driving in the rain. I am thinking of just spraying the outside of the boxes with a flex seal type spray.
Call Forest River, this is a known issue. The way the boxes are put together on the rails underneath isn't quite correct on some units. Mine had some exposed carpet sticking out from the metal frame and would wick up water and moisture when driving in rain. Ours was only one compartment fortunately.there is also some sort of issue with basement doors locks that leak some water as well.

These would be the two issues I would take a look at. Minor but annoying!
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
C8dnLegacy

We had all the center compartments leaking. The dealer adjusted the doors and said it is often just the way the seals seat on the doors and not unusual to need some adjustment. Heading out for a 10 day trip next week, and we'll see if that worked.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #5
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Rain gutters draining straight down? Extend the gutter or mount a down spout. (Don't laugh. I've seen it done with PVC to redirect rain away from storage bin.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Old Soldier

water in sunseaker compartment

Heavy rain led to basement swimming pool - returned it to dealer who installed new seal - no more water.
ColonelRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #7

Smile

Had a similar problem with our TT and found that rain gutters needed to be extended. An older but wiser gentleman told me to just place spring type clothes pins on each gutter to get the rain water away from the body of the unit. It was a cheap fix that worked. I use them even when in storage.
Probwrm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #8

Has another rain shower today. Checked compartment and found water again. Also found water in compartment where water pump is. So it looks like problem is not related to driving or water coming down from gutter. Also took inside cover off of door locks and found no water. So problem must be door and or seal. Can't see any difference in these door and seals compared to the ones that don't leak. Tried adjusting latch catch to make door seal a bit tighter. Any other ideas?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #9

We've had our Cardinal since the end of April. He replaced all the rubber around the opening in the storage compartments with better rubber trim. We had water also getting in. With the new rubber (better trim) it's now dry
justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

IF you are 100% sure that the rain gutters are not the problem...could it be running in from the roof through the wall? I sure hope not. Scratch that. Your unit is too new.
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Had another heavy rain last night. I checked the two compartments and found no water in one and a few large drops in the other (could have gotten wet when I opened the door). So hopefully my adjustment to get the door to seal a bit tighter worked. Will see how it does in next rain. Still need to check compartments on driver side when slide is in and all compartments when driving in rain.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
Had another heavy rain last night. I checked the two compartments and found no water in one and a few large drops in the other (could have gotten wet when I opened the door). So hopefully my adjustment to get the door to seal a bit tighter worked. Will see how it does in next rain. Still need to check compartments on driver side when slide is in and all compartments when driving in rain.
Did you crawl underneath to see if you can see any carpet fabric sticking out from the angle iron framing for the compartments?
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:06 AM   #13

Psw757, these two compartments do not have carpet. I will look at the others to see if that could be an issue, especially when driving in the rain. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:21 AM   #14

landing gear switch leakage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJAG View Post
Found quite a bit of water in the front curbside storage compartment of my 360 RB after a recent heavy rain. Anyone else have this occur?
I had this happen this spring and found my issue. The electric switch for the landing gear has foam to seal out water, which had failed. When I looked from the inside at the switch I could see daylight. Resealed the switch with dicor. I also checked the rear switch and found it had been leaking too.

After my repair, I ran water from a garden hose to verify the door and switch were not allowing anymore water to get into the front storage compartment.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:40 AM   #15

I bought a 2008 Surveyor and had water in the cargo hold that seeped into front bedroom carpeting. The fix was replacing worn out door seals, but I agree with others moving water away from the TT sides via longer rain spots, purchased or Gerry Rigged clothes pins. whatever works for your budget.
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #16

Had another hard rain yesterday. No water got in the storage compartments. Noticed that water is channeled along the seam where the roof meets the front cap down along the side windows, leaving dirt streaks. Guess the water has to go somewhere but wish is didn't mess up windows.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #17
7 Year Class A RV'er

Our 360RB stays parked in the driveway. We had 8.95" of mostly hard blown rain in June and no water in the compartments. My old RV, parked in the same spot, used to have water in three of the compartments continuously. All I would know to do is check the door seals.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #18

leak

make sure camper is level,also check your lock latch, you need to use all 3 for the best seal the 2 plus the key i have a 2860 and my front had a small amount in it but not sure how.Might of been from storm or when i washed it.
retired on a mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #19
clr

I had a problem with water getting into my front storage compartment also. I found that the seal below one of the latch strikers was rolled slightly so this was allowing water to run under the seal and directly into the compartment via the sidewall. I removed the latch strikers and used liquid electrical tape, but dicor or any silicone type calk would work to seal the void under the strikers. I also removed the screws and dabbed each one and then replaced. Have now been through several hard rain storms and no water in the compartment. Hope this may help everyone.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #20

I have a 2014 Legacy 340 BH. My unit has been to the factory twice and a third visit by a team of experts to repair my leaking storage compartments. After having new rubber gaskets and locks installed, and they still leak from rain while driving down the road. I have come to accept this as the FR standard for this unit after a year of ownership.
W4JJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, water