Old 01-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #1

Weld in generator compartment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3347.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	194741 weld broken in generator compartment Forest River says itís not their problem.
This Legacy is not a great unit to buy, more problems. I have the unit 18 month it has 13000 miles and all it does is get repair. If you add up the time unit been in shop itís at least 6 week.
I thought a weld would be covered bye Forest River, but I had to get my extended warranty to cover it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	194742

Wgmodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Well that certainly seems to be some structural issues.

Looks like that tube goes from the chassis frame rail to the body framework and it appears to have had a tremendous structural load on that area.

Is there something heavy above that area? (refrigerator maybe?)

You said you've owned it 18 months... from new I suspect?

Have you spoken directly to the factory or was the response through the dealer?

Have they (the factory) seen these photos?

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 01:55 PM   #3

Frankly, if the only problem is a broken weld, do as I did - I fixed 50 of the 70 warranty items myself and didn't even bother with useless FR! My time is valuable (1-4 months per item at a dealer, no way). I can take it to a welder for $10 or so and in 30 seconds the problem is gone. Add another 30 if you want to paint it. It'll take you months if ever plus Ö.. countless grief - their business model aggravate customers until they give up and don't call any more.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
Lacey's Spring, AL

you're out of the warranty period - why are you 'blaming' FR for not fixing it? That's exactly, of course, WHY you have an extended warranty.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

I don't bother with FR so called warranties or dealer... both take months of delaying, stalling, blaming somebody else, bringing it in 150 miles for any warranty work and that's just so they can look at it and wait. If I have an issue with a Furrion product I have gone to them twice and handled my swap, replacement or warranty items. I dealt with LCI Lippert directly on a couple of items and IRV Technologies on bad radio unit as well. A weld? I'd pony up and have it fixed myself by a competent welder, and have all the other weld and attachment points inspected at the same time. The couldn't get the weld and engineering right the first time, why take it back to them again?
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
.... I dealt with LCI Lippert directly on a couple of items and IRV Technologies on bad radio unit as well. A weld? I'd pony up and have it fixed myself by a competent welder, and have all the other weld and attachment points inspected at the same time. The couldn't get the weld and engineering right the first time, why take it back to them again?
I owned my trailer 14 months and 4200 miles before a spring hanger came loose. "It was just a weld" that cost Lippert (Ask for Garth Collins) $6000 in repairs. Upon inspection from a certified welder, the factory welds didn't penetrate the frame well enough to hold the suspension on the trailer.

It's worth every minute of your time to pursue them to pay for garbage craftsmanship.

Just sayin...

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
you're out of the warranty period - why are you 'blaming' FR for not fixing it? That's exactly, of course, WHY you have an extended warranty.

BECAUSE ITS STRUCTURAL!!! We all know they won't stand behind the rest of the unit for longer that 5 camping trips but the structure itself ought to. C'mon!
I can see why this industry (and the rest of the country) has problems. Folks no longer have expectations in others. "Oh I gave you $30,000 and you gave me a POS. Oh thats OK..." Cmon people!
Old 01-18-2019, 12:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post
BECAUSE ITS STRUCTURAL!!! We all know they won't stand behind the rest of the unit for longer that 5 camping trips but the structure itself ought to. C'mon!
I can see why this industry (and the rest of the country) has problems. Folks no longer have expectations in others. "Oh I gave you $30,000 and you gave me a POS. Oh thats OK..." Cmon people!
Agreed.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #9

The picture is hard tell what exactly happened there but there doesn't seem to appear that any structure issues are present. If you look the sealer it doesn't look like it's moved or peeled that makes me think that your ok.
However I would not let it go for other reasons, ie. Collision, or any other additional stress/loads applied. I'm not sure where you are located at , my shop is located in eastern Pa. 18088 , 551 Custom Gallery, The551.com, 484/223/7197
Shejam28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRockr View Post

Thanks for voicing what I have been saying for 2 years now. Be careful. Every time I have attempted to point out or hold the RV industry & specifically FR accountable, I've been portrayed as the bad guy - you will too, if not already.

270S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator