I have read several issues about how poorly the Airflyte AC cools. I received my unit about 1 1/2 mos ago and appeared to have the factory fixes applied like the power switch to the AC unit and fan. Still not very good. So I have made the following changes:
1) Built an ac box by combining two standard size AC boxes (12x8) into one 12x14 box that fit snugly on the back of the AC unit.
2) Cut a hole in the AC box and added a duct port (8 in)and secured with sheet metal screws and duct tape out the back.
3) Removed the existing fan and wiring that was mounted on the exterior side wall vent.
4) Added 8" duct fan and mounted to interior wood bracing on the vent hole with an L bracket and sheet metal screw. Seems very sturdy.
5) Replaced wiring/plug with prebuilt heavy duty electrical plug.
I ran it for 24 hrs straight to check reliability- no issues. It now cools the way it should. No complaints.
I am not really very handy but had a friend come over and give me a basic lesson on air flow with AC units and separating air intake from air exhaust. Took about 6 hrs but a more skilled person could do it in half the time. Below are the pictures of the finished project. Bought all the parts at Loews for about $50
*I used the original front cowling for the AC and did away with the wood cover. I thought the front needed some kind of filter or the coils would get dirty. The surround was also insulated with foam. Built new front cover. Not as pretty but works great.
I really like your approach, but it definitely relies on that duct fan working. I added a door (identical to what is on the frig side of the trailer) and while I am still testing, getting very good results even without having the auxiliary fan running all the time. But the down side is the door has to be opened when the fan is off, I have "baffles" that direct the hot air out and away from the intake (so it's not the most beautiful set-up) and in a hard driving rain I'll probably have to close the door and have to rely on the fan working as well.
The door really wasn't that hard at all...........just a couple hours in the afternoon.
I've not tinted the windows but have read where others have, and they are very pleased with the results. Probably depends on who actually installs the tint and how skilled they are, so I'd definitely want someone who knew their stuff if I chose to do it.
Thanks for the post! I made a duct using Owens Corning Foamular rigid insulation, keeping the little fan Shasta included. In addition, I insulated the rest of the compartment with the remaining Foamular. I think it works okay, but I may do something like your mod.