Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

2015 Airflyte 19 Poor AC Design Fix

Hello,

I have read several issues about how poorly the Airflyte AC cools. I received my unit about 1 1/2 mos ago and appeared to have the factory fixes applied like the power switch to the AC unit and fan. Still not very good. So I have made the following changes:

1) Built an ac box by combining two standard size AC boxes (12x8) into one 12x14 box that fit snugly on the back of the AC unit.
2) Cut a hole in the AC box and added a duct port (8 in)and secured with sheet metal screws and duct tape out the back.
3) Removed the existing fan and wiring that was mounted on the exterior side wall vent.
4) Added 8" duct fan and mounted to interior wood bracing on the vent hole with an L bracket and sheet metal screw. Seems very sturdy.
5) Replaced wiring/plug with prebuilt heavy duty electrical plug.

I ran it for 24 hrs straight to check reliability- no issues. It now cools the way it should. No complaints.

I am not really very handy but had a friend come over and give me a basic lesson on air flow with AC units and separating air intake from air exhaust. Took about 6 hrs but a more skilled person could do it in half the time. Below are the pictures of the finished project. Bought all the parts at Loews for about $50

*I used the original front cowling for the AC and did away with the wood cover. I thought the front needed some kind of filter or the coils would get dirty. The surround was also insulated with foam. Built new front cover. Not as pretty but works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_2035_1024.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	77500   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_2032_1024.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	77501   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_2033_1024.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	77502   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_2036_1024.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	77503   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_2037_1024.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	77504  

regalrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

My, hopefully it will work A/C fix

Yeah, these Shasta's all have the same problems. I took that silver coated plastic bubble wrap, made a box to get the air out the vent. I figured the condenser fan should be sufficient to blow it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090343.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	77515   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090344.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	517.0 KB
ID:	77516  
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #3

AC fix

where did you get the original front grate?
RHKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #4

It came with the camper in the bottom of the closet.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #5

I really like your approach, but it definitely relies on that duct fan working. I added a door (identical to what is on the frig side of the trailer) and while I am still testing, getting very good results even without having the auxiliary fan running all the time. But the down side is the door has to be opened when the fan is off, I have "baffles" that direct the hot air out and away from the intake (so it's not the most beautiful set-up) and in a hard driving rain I'll probably have to close the door and have to rely on the fan working as well.
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #6

Thx for the comment. I wanted to do a door but was afraid that was beyond my skill set.

The next project is to tent the windows to reduce heats. Ant thoughts on that?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #7

The door really wasn't that hard at all...........just a couple hours in the afternoon.

I've not tinted the windows but have read where others have, and they are very pleased with the results. Probably depends on who actually installs the tint and how skilled they are, so I'd definitely want someone who knew their stuff if I chose to do it.
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the post! I made a duct using Owens Corning Foamular rigid insulation, keeping the little fan Shasta included. In addition, I insulated the rest of the compartment with the remaining Foamular. I think it works okay, but I may do something like your mod.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #9

Meant to add, we had the windows tinted using a high grade home window tint. It made a big difference.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1432434907.228528.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	77860
Old 06-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #11

Have camped twice - Del Rio and Corpus Christie. 5000 BTU's will not cool a 19 foot TT in south Texas heat. Looking to upgrade to an 8000, which still fits, or a 13.5 rooftop.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #12

The A/C doesn't keep a 16 foot cool neither. As far as putting anything on the roof, these Shasta's structurally might not hold it up. Funny though, the a/c worked fine in February. Can't understand why it's not working now......
Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #13

So, pcmichelle, are you saying your bubble-wrap insulation fix didn't fix the problem? I am about to start on a fix that involves building a shallow box onto the end of the AC unit connected to another box attached to the outside vent by an 8" duct with a duct fan inside. I'm building the boxes out of 1.5" rigid foam. My local dealer didn't know what to do, but when I explained that the issue might be related to inadequate venting of the hot exhaust air from the Frigidaire, they simply placed a piece of 1" foam insulation over top the AC compartment and repositioned the silly little fan that Shasta misplaced. The service manager called me this morning to say it worked fine, but I'm at a loss about what to believe. Before I go to all the trouble to try to isolate the hot exhaust air, I'm wondering if it will make any difference?
Strappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 PM   #14

By the way... We just took possession of our 19 last Saturday and had planned to take a shakedown trip this weekend, but recent testing with the trailer sitting in very dense shade and an OAT of 93 ℉ revealed an IAT of 92 ℉ after the AC was on for 3 hours. When it first got going, the AC was putting out cool air, but within an hour, the AC air was the same temp as the ambient temp in the trailer. The dealer made me haul the trailer in, told me they had no fix, didn't know what they might, suggested I could leave the trailer there for an indefinite time, or go ahead and use it in the meantime. That's what led me here. If the solutions you all have invented work, I can't tell you how grateful I will be!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #15

Hey Strappe. My comment was basically a little sarcasm because of the way these Shasta's were cobbeled together. My idea worked somewhat. It does vent the hot air outside, but the problem is the a/c is sitting on the floor not being able to draw in the hot air from mid point and above, because hot air rises and the cool stays at the bottom. It cools about waist high so were going to put a fan in to circulate the air and see if that takes care of some of the cooling problems. We tried opening the vent a little to get the hot air out but it didn't change anything. I'd like to hear from Mark Lucas about his ideas on fixing these things, but I'd probably have a better chance of winning the lottery. P.S. Better check your tire clearance in you wheel wells. Good Luck.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

I bought fan to help recirculate the air, but it helps very little. When the daytime temp is in the 90's, once the sun goes down the outside temp cools faster than the AC in the trailer running full blast. I also put formular around the AC to isolate exhaust air. Still did not work much better. These things might help in 80 degree heat but not at 90+.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #17

2015 Airflyte 19 Poor AC Design Fix

What model Frigidaire is an 8,000 BTU replacement?
Old 06-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #18

Not sure of model number but it is carried in-store by Lowe's and Home Depot carries LG, both about $240 both same height and 2-2.5 inches wider.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #19

Has anyone considered a class action suit against Shasta for the dozens of defects and inconsistencies in these Re-issue Airflytes? Every time I am forced to open up a panel to fix something, I find other rather shocking defects.

I've been focused on the AC issues, for instance, but then wondered why the trailer, closed for two days, was swarming inside with mosquitoes. Now I know. The AC exterior vent is unscreened and the AC compartment inside is wide open to the rest of the trailer. Was there supposed to be a screen there? Do some people have one? I've learned that on some of these trailers, the AC compartment is well insulated and the holes on the sides through which the water lines pass are sealed with insulating material as well. The cabinet bottom that serves as the compartment top panel is also insulated underneath.

Horrified by the wheel well disasters, I looked at my wheels and found the new shackles present, but have since read here that this fix isn't enough and some are still having problems.

I'm wondering if I should take this thing back to the dealer before I ever take it on a trip.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #20

Hey Strappe. Yes a class action lawsuit has crossed my mind, or a lawsuit of any for that matter. For starters the one piece roof that was advertised against leaks, is actually a 3 piece roof that leaks. That's not short of consumer fraud. The fix that Shasta is doing for the tire clearance is deceiving the consumer in thinking that will take care of the issue. If you look at LCI's website, they are the one's who made the frame for this camper, the shackle repair is the longest one they sell online, and cheap at $5.35. That's great for Shasta because I'm sure they get that at a discount. Whatever was done on insulating the a/c compartment was done by the consumer and not Shasta. The vents need screen behind them, but that would of cost extra for Shasta, so they opted out. The computer fan at the vent to get the hot air out of the a/c compartment is the biggest joke of all. Hell those fans barely keep a computer cool. Windows falling out. Car tires on a trailer. Roof inconsistent with what was advertised. Electrical issues. Deadbolts locking people out of their campers. I'm getting tired of typing. I'm selling my Shasta as soon as the title comes in for it. I'll loose money but I don't care. I asked the dealer that I bought it from to give me an offer to buy it back, but have not received a call. They don't want these things back, There glad that there gone.