Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #21

You're a 16' Seafoam, right JT?

Well, I was mad before, now I'm fuming. Just watch, this will be another change during the second production run, leaving those of us "early adopters" screwed.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #22

Correct. and who knows if this is the first production run or just the second plant issue, or just a line issue on a few models. I would encourage everyone to check the roof and see if a seam has been compromised by a vent. If it has I would talk to your dealer about having that seam completely sealed.
JTCheesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 08:31 PM   #23

JT - my vent pipe goes through the sidewall exactly as you show, but yet it exits through the seam.

I may be a "newbie", but I knew enough about campers and their leaky, high maintenance roofs that I did a lot of research before buying this Airflyte. A major factor for me in getting this TT was Shasta's statement that this unit has a "One piece rolled edge roof extending entire perimeter of sidewalls, your positive assurance against leaks." I believed what that Product Brochure said (and I read it all over the internet in multiple ads and spec sheets). I paid for a one piece roof - and to me that means no seams anywhere up top - and that's not what I got.

Instead I have leaking seams already needing to be plugged on a TT that has never even been in a campground yet. And I'll bet it is just a matter of time before the other 1,940 seamed roofs out there have the exact same issue...I think we need to talk to someone but not at all convinced it should be the dealer.
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #24

I feel for you guys. You would think the factory would automatically seal the seam!

Tim

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #25

There's a possibility it's sealed underneath, right?

My guess is Shasta will blame the supplier. They did it with Hehr and the window adhesive issue.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:02 PM   #26

one peice roof deception

Omg you guys are killing me i just found this site after purchacing our 16airflyte see my post 2015 airflyte quality and design issues so now onto the roof i did as well base my decision on the one peice roof which from the ground looks like a one peice i just went out side with a ladder and looked after reading your post ahhhh errr wht wow another disappointment fortuanitley no leaks yet i religiously check it will have to check out the camode tank support thanks for sharing your grief wow did we all 1941 of us get the shasta shaft they would be outa business if they were an automotive manufactuer
thenugerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #27

Water leaking from roof????

I've been reading all the horror stories about water leaks and thought to do a little investigation myself. Using a Boroscope and accessing through the rear light by the bathroom, I did find water droplets between the insulated bubble wrap and the roof, by the seam area. I wished they would of never of compromised the seam on the roof for the bathroom vent. Don't know if it's coming in from there. My feelings on the bubble wrap all over the camper is to shed water that leaks through and won't get into the wood before you notice a problem. At least until the warranty is up. Here are some pictures. I think I'm going to put lap sealant where the roof joints are. I was misting water on the roof and watching the monitor and water was pooling on the plastic coming from the seam, but not sure where at. I could see water streamer spots as I moved around in an area. Time to contact my dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090428.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	78349   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090427.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	78350   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090423.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	78351  
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #28

I sealed the seams with Eternabond tape, hoping for the best. I posted my experience here:

http://airflytehacks.com/index.php/f...d-application/
Old 02-13-2016, 06:36 AM   #29

Hello everyone, I just watched the leaking window video and my 16' is leaking exactly on the right lower corner of the back window. I thought the NEW replacement window would take care of it when it was installed? I will check out where my toilet vent exits to bath wall. Build number is high 900's. The dealer has confirmed a new axel and back window. I've received the AC fix from Forest River so when it goes to the dealer.
It's nice to know others are having the same issues.
Wizkidjdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #30

Shasta Airflyte 16' Reissue

I own serial number 417 which I purchased in November 2014. The quality control issues have been to numerous to mention but, so far, I have not experienced the seam leaking issues that you have discussed. Air conditioning problems are now my most critical issue. I have had the a/c unit replace and had the factory fix for insulating and venting around the a/c unit. The a/c unit puts out cold air but it is not adequate to cool the interior of the trailer below 84 degrees when the trailer is in the sun even on a moderately warm day. I am investigating purchasing a roof mounted unit; there is a reason why most rvs have roof mounted a/c units. Has anyone experience these issues?
ctairflyte417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:32 AM   #31

My understanding is the roof won't support an AC unit.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #32

DouglasLive,
Thanks for the response. I was told that same thing by the Camping World service rep. I am leaving on a on month trip in just over a week so I will be taking the trailer back to Camping World and several other rv dealers in my area when I return and see if any of them can figure out a solution or a way to add support to the roof structure to cure this problem. I am sure that won't be cheap. Will update with a post if a solution is found.
ctairflyte417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #33

We've found the 5000BTU unit, when properly ducted in the back, can cool the 16' (we're #407) with the help of a fan to circulate the air. Still, the cooling is merely "okay."

The better option is install an 8000BTU unit in the same location. Here's the one many have used:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00IV3IOIS

Here's the fan we use:

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00TX79BO2

More information here:

AC blows (not cool) | Air Conditioning and Ventilation

Tags
roo, roof