Old 04-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

2015 Airflyte - does yours have a one piece roof?

Please help! I'm having serious issues with leaking in the back by the gaucho, starting to wonder if it is not the seams on the roof.

This led me to question what I had thought was an "advertised" one piece roof. I found that statement in several docs, but my TT has two seams where metal was joined together running across the roof. Does that qualify as a "one piece" roof? I've attached a pic of one seam, this one located just behind the front edge of the blue tarp in the second pciture.

Can you please look at yours and let me know if you also have seams? Doesn't a one piece roof (stated as our "positive assurance against roof leaks" in the reissue brochure) mean just that - one piece with no seams?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0274.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	72735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0273.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	72736  

Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 PM   #2

2015 Airflyte - does yours have a one piece roof?

Calling it "one piece" was a bit of creative word choice. It's four pieces crimped together by the supplier and delivered to Shasta as one piece. Supposedly the "s-lock" crimp used is watertight and "just can't leak." A vintage guy I talked to said its a good choice/technique, but yeah, a lot of people felt mislead.

Where exactly are you leaking? My rear window leaked, so I had a local shop remove it and re-seal with butyl. I feel the foam gaskets were a poor choice, especially on the rear window which is attached to a slightly curved surface. You need something to fill all the gaps and spaces. Butyl tape will do that, foam isn't up to the task.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Sorry to hear about the water problem. I hate to see any RV covered to protect rain coming in. BTW - Are the pictures you posted current or is the date/time stamp incorrect?

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #4

The pictures are current - I just don't reset the camera every time I take the batteries out and put them back in (which is constantly as I don't trust them not to leak).

A four piece "crimped" roof is actually called one piece? Would that be a reasonable assumption based on the description in the attached re-issue brochure? The line giving us "positive assurance against leaks"? If that is not deceptive then I don't know what is..........to me it borders on Consumer Fraud.

Late yesterday I found out exactly where it is leaking, why it is coming out of the back window area and probably have a good suspicion why it even happened.

It leaks just to the left of the vent pipe - you can actually see the seam separating a little bit in the attached pic. The water then "wedges" between the metal skin and the under laying plastic type insulation and flows backwards towards the window until that plastic sheeting meets a wooden cross member - in this case the top and sides of the of the rear window. They act as a dam, it builds up and starts flowing inside spilling out over the back wall and onto the gaucho. I am absolutely convinced if I lowered the front of the trailer it would flow in the opposite direction and come out the top / sides of the front windows. No doubt in my mind.

The "why" - educated guess here - lies in the bathroom floor (and specifically around the toilet) not being adequately supported. It has been "spongy" since day one. After turning into a contortionist and looking, sure enough there is a black tank immediately under the toilet that appears as though it should rest on a wooden platform. Instead it is floating about 2 inches higher - resting on nothing - and allows the floor above to flex up and down every time you sit on the toilet or stand anywhere near it. I believe (think) that black tank is physically fixed to that vent pipe going through the roof, so as the tank / floor moves that pipe follows, ever so slightly up and down, up and down. And it is that flexing motion that stresses the seam and starts to cause failure. I probably don't need to comment on the genius that thought running that pipe directly through a seam was a good idea in the first place.

This is starting to be seriously ridiculous. I work hard for my money - I am not rich. To pay $16k for a product I have yet to actually use other than as a glorified tarp holder, and then spend countless hours "fixing" manufacturing defects and correcting issues is insane. I am starting to regret this purchase big time - and truly do hope that in this case I am totally alone and the rest of you have a much better experience.

And for the record I have called the dealer and the fix is basically to caulk the seam. I've been told to use white Dicor self leveling Lap Sealant 501LSW. Don't get me wrong - I'm not upset with the dealer at all. If I took it the 500 miles back they'd gladly do this for me. They didn't make this product - they just have to live with it like me. But I really don't need a 500 mile trip to apply caulk when I can lay on a board between two ladders and do it myself.

I'm not totally sure at this point that I'll capitulate so easily on the one piece roof deception though.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0276.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	72840  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015_Shasta_Airflyte_'61_Reissue_Brochure.pdf (1.59 MB, 49 views)
Old 04-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

Attached is a production shot with which you can compare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	72842  
Old 04-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

There's your wooden platform...if you don't have it, no amount of sealant is going to fix your problem. Mind you, the pic is (I believe) a 19', but it can't be that different, right?
Old 04-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

There is a wooden platform on mine, but that black "tank" under the toilet isn't sitting on it. Instead there is about a 2" gap between it and the top of the platform.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSconnect View Post
There is a wooden platform on mine, but that black "tank" under the toilet isn't sitting on it. Instead there is about a 2" gap between it and the top of the platform.
So in reality, the throne has no support when anyone is sitting on it.

I can see how that might pull on the vent pipe as you suggested, from the flexing.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #9
Site Team

I figured the date wasn't set but wanted to verify. I did see the sentence in the advert in the PDF: "One piece rolled edge roof, extending entire perimeter of sidewalls, your positive assurance against leaks." Based on the pictures your roof sure don't look like a one piece roof at all.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I figured the date wasn't set but wanted to verify. I did see the sentence in the advert in the PDF: "One piece rolled edge roof, extending entire perimeter of sidewalls, your positive assurance against leaks." Based on the pictures your roof sure don't look like a one piece roof at all.
Thank you Terier - and I suspect that same conclusion would be reached by any reasonably intelligent person who read that brochure, sans of course the lot of dolts pondering what the meaning of "is" is..........

So are there 1,941 of us out there who were led to believe they had one piece roofs but who instead actually have four piece roofs that have been "seamed" together?

Tags
roo, roof