Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #1

2015 Airflyte - Interior staples exposed

I have these huge gaps under the dinette table where the benches meet the front wall, with “structural staples” sticking out, many not making contact. Knowing how small children like to “hide out” under tables I’m a little concerned these could be a safety hazard – they can surely cut or stick a finger. I’m reluctant to cut them because I don’t know what else they might be holding together. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Any suggestions for covering (this is a curved surface so it’s pretty tricky).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0302.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	75242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0303.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	75243  
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Can understand your safety concern with the staples, let alone the structural concern. Seen plenty of shoddy workmanship on theses throw back Shasta's at the rv show. Call Shasta and see if they can advise you how to take care of this issue.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #3

I don't like to see this, DCS, as this might be a sign the front exterior panel is pulling away from the frame. How's the clearance between your panel and the LP tank?
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #4

Meant to add, any way of knowing how your Airflyte got to the dealer? I know many were improperly secured to the backs of flatbeds from the factory and suffered front end damage, mostly from the tongue being secured and not allowed to flex. That would account for a front end pulling away from the trailer framing.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #5

I'm not sure how this was delivered so can't answer that question. But I can take a pic tomorrow of the clearance to the propane tank to see if it is considered normal. I appreciate the feedback.

But if the front panel were pulling away would I also see that on the exterior? The front aluminum panels pulling away from the trim and towards the front? Leaving behind stretched poly butyl tape marks?

Also I did find a fix. Home Depot sold a woodgrain look pvc trim piece flexible enough to make the bend, so I cut/trimmed and screwed it in place. It's not perfect (sort of hard to cut) but a whole lot better than those staples.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #6

Douglaslive - here is a pic of the tank clearance in the front, does this look normal? Thanks for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0304.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	270.8 KB
ID:	75655  
Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #7

DSConnect, did you get this finally resolved? I will check mine and take similar photo if you are still questioning. Looks like this thread has sat for a while.
r-bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:13 PM   #8

I tried via contact to the dealer but here it is two weeks later and no answer. So whereas I once was sort of sympathetic to their plight - they didn't build these after all - I'm going to reserve final judgement. Maybe they are on extended vacation. Besides they'd likely not have an answer and I've got a record (paper trail) of notifying them well in advance of warranty expire date just in case of any eventual claims.

I did find this flexible PVC molding at Home Depot and, after a few cuts here and there, it bent into place and covered the gaping holes and staples. I'll call that my crown molding! The color is real close to our faux wood as well.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:38 PM   #9

Ooops, I realize my post was not synched to the discussion. FWIW I looked at my propane tank clearance to the front of the trailer and it is very close to the photo posted by DCS to assist another poster. My bad...just ignore me when I say something silly...
r-bo is offline   Reply With Quote