Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #21

Found the door:

Dometic Refrigerator RM2214 Access Door/Panel/Vent Exterior Polar White

Dometic Refrigerator RM2214 Access Door/Panel/Vent Exterior Polar..
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #22

Yep, it is Dometic part number 8030211322 and I bought mine from Schwalm Inc (info@anyrvparts.com) for $36 and $12 shipping.

Unfortunately it is not a direct fit and I did have to enlarge the opening and move a horizontal support up about 5 inches. But having the larger opening and this little door made a huge difference in getting the heat out when the A/C is running full blast.

I would caution that you do be careful and pull all the "structural staples" prior to making cuts (and it was quite revealing to realize that our trailers are put together with staples! Maybe that's common?)
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:30 AM   #23

AC is Under Warranty

I'm so happy to have my re-issue in the driveway here in Texas. But it's getting warmer and warmer. My AC is not cooling like I would like. I understand it is under warranty. I've called my dealership and set up a warranty claim. I have an appointment in a few weeks. I felt this was a better way to go than adjusting it myself so that I do not void my warranty in any way. Thanks Shasta for standing behind your product!
Old 04-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #24

It will be interesting to see if Shasta will authorize a fix for what is clearly a poor design.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #25
Ambassador

I looked at these because I was thinking I would buy one.They were cheap and looked pretty cool. I did see some of the same issues I wasn't with a salesman at that point. When one came out he flat out told me that these are "Retro Fad Campers", that they aren't really practical for camping more than a night or two; he went on to tell me that: "quiet honestly no one has been happy with the build quality". Mistake averted. He then took me to a TT 3 times as big and double the price...lol. That's the one I bought. I had already seen the holes and gaps and thought to my self ,,,"not good". I think they had these guys right out front for a reason. Thanks for validating that for me. I did notice though that they had 4 or 5 marked sold ...

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:15 PM   #26

Ken - on the other hand if you are into doilies how could you not want one of these?

I'm pretty convinced based on what I've read and been told directly that Shasta's warranty policy can be summarized as "do the bare minimum possible as cheaply as possible to get to that one year mark and please make this problem go away".

Longer shackles for clearance issues? Easily researched as to what the potential long term negative consequences are to that fix.

Silicone on a roof for leaks in a seam we were told didn't even exist? Again, practically anyone who knows anything about RV roofs says never, ever use Silicone (if you want it to last!).

A/C fix? No one knows here what they will do but hopefully they've read enough on what everyone else has done that they will at least have a CLUE.

What I find as so ironic is that the main reason people love these is the design - something totally attributable to someone probably born in the 1930's who worked at Shasta in the late 1950's, and for the most part not creditable to the current company. All they had to do was basically "copy" it and build it like they cared... I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you think they failed?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #27

Thanks for the posts here. This is good information and the modifications some of you have made seem to be easy enough to do.

I can't help but notice the tone of Kimberly's post is quite different than the others.
I am curious if the rest of you tried contacting Shasta to see if changing/improving the A/C components could or would be covered under warranty?

From my understanding, their warranty would cover malfunctioning items or other issues like leaks, damage, safety issues, bad parts, etc... but not necessarily change things that don't work the way the customer wants them to.
(i.e. the air conditioner functions just fine, but does not cool efficiently)

I'm just trying to understand how they would say yes to covering something like this (which seems to be a design oversight) under warranty as long as the parts still turn on, function, etc. Am I missing something?
whoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #28

A/C Under Warranty

What is Shasta's solution to the AC issue? Anyone know?
ShastaSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #29

At least one dealer received a picture of insulation and duct-work (likely cribbed from one of the Facebook groups) and was told to do the same.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:24 PM   #30

It will be very interesting to see pictures of these first dealer installed fixes. I'm also real curious to know if that will be enough when it is 95 and 90% humidity. I still think that fixed vent is too small / restrictive to let out enough hot air and at the same time let in enough "cooling air" but I suspect we'll be hearing for sure (from those of us in the South) come August.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #31

A/C drain

This is what I found on mine. They actually just shoved a piece of fuel hose in the hole to give the impression that it was a drain. It pulled right out. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090212.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	77185
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #32

My understanding is the dealer is expected to install the AC drain pipe as part of prep. Hard to believe given the relative inaccessibility of the AC compartment, but it's what I've heard.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #33

PC - that's even worse than no drain because it gives the false impression the work was done. I've also read somewhere else this was a "dealer responsibility" but I have a hard time with that for the same reasons noted by DouglasLive.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:05 AM   #34

Just things to look for.

Wheel wells that have gaps in them to allow water to enter the floor area.
Exposed structural wood under the camper that was not treated, or covered for that matter. A wire tie to hold up a gas line. I think they could of splurged on a holding clamp. A/C pan not sealed in the corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080220.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	77304   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080278.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	77305   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080285.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	77306   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080283.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	77307  
Old 05-18-2015, 09:10 PM   #35

PC - do you have an early build number? A VIN that ends in a number before, say, 500? Or is yours a later build? Because if this is a later build then we really do have significant serious issues as a group of owners, and a totally negligent if not outright vindictive manufacturer. It really might be time to take a more collective, persuasive action as a group to convince this Manufacturer we refuse to drink their kool-aid.

And I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your wheel well photos lead me to believe that you have issues with your suspension that need to be addressed asap - the very issue addressed in the Potential Safety Issue thread.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #36

Not my Shasta DCSconnect, but it was red so it's an earlier build.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #37

Raising Shasta on back bumper.

Raised the Shasta up like Mark Lucas showed on the video to check for tire rubbing. I actually used jack stands on the frame in from the bumper. The frame has some flex in it and it bent the body panel by the back bumper where the frame exits. I took off the black trim to see what happened and how to fix the problem. Waiting for the RV dealer to call me back. Said about an hour. That was 5 hours ago. Here is some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090339.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	77435   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090340.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	77436   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090341.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	77437   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090342.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	77438  
Old 05-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #38

Nothing surprises me anymore about the lack of quality in these trailers - nothing! When I jacked mine up to change the springs / shackles I had some of the self tapping sheet metal screws THAT HOLD THE CROSS FRAMES TOGETHER have their heads pop off (And I did not jack it up using the cross frames at all!). I drilled the ones that popped off out and replaced them with real bolts and nuts. And unless you get up under there and start looking, who knows how many more may start popping off when you go over rough roads? Or get a year or two of age on these trailers?
Old 05-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #39

This is my take on these campers.

We got some lemons. Actually the lemon camper probably won't leak. Looks like it does have a one piece roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lemon.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	77597  
Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #40

I have filed three safety related complaints with NHSTA.

1. Window falling out
2. Suspension not sufficient to support trailer weight
3. Supplying passenger car tires on Travel Trailer

NHTSA called me today - they are listening. I strongly advocate that every owner having these issues do the same.

Shasta, by now being well aware of these problems (especially 1,2 above), has yet to send any notification direct to owners recommending they at least have their trailers inspected.

Tags
shasta