Old 04-23-2015, 04:58 PM   #21

Found the door:

Dometic Refrigerator RM2214 Access Door/Panel/Vent Exterior Polar White

Dometic Refrigerator RM2214 Access Door/Panel/Vent Exterior Polar..

Old 04-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #22

Yep, it is Dometic part number 8030211322 and I bought mine from Schwalm Inc (info@anyrvparts.com) for $36 and $12 shipping.

Unfortunately it is not a direct fit and I did have to enlarge the opening and move a horizontal support up about 5 inches. But having the larger opening and this little door made a huge difference in getting the heat out when the A/C is running full blast.

I would caution that you do be careful and pull all the "structural staples" prior to making cuts (and it was quite revealing to realize that our trailers are put together with staples! Maybe that's common?)

Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 AM   #23

AC is Under Warranty

I'm so happy to have my re-issue in the driveway here in Texas. But it's getting warmer and warmer. My AC is not cooling like I would like. I understand it is under warranty. I've called my dealership and set up a warranty claim. I have an appointment in a few weeks. I felt this was a better way to go than adjusting it myself so that I do not void my warranty in any way. Thanks Shasta for standing behind your product!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:14 AM   #24

It will be interesting to see if Shasta will authorize a fix for what is clearly a poor design.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #25
Ambassador

I looked at these because I was thinking I would buy one.They were cheap and looked pretty cool. I did see some of the same issues I wasn't with a salesman at that point. When one came out he flat out told me that these are "Retro Fad Campers", that they aren't really practical for camping more than a night or two; he went on to tell me that: "quiet honestly no one has been happy with the build quality". Mistake averted. He then took me to a TT 3 times as big and double the price...lol. That's the one I bought. I had already seen the holes and gaps and thought to my self ,,,"not good". I think they had these guys right out front for a reason. Thanks for validating that for me. I did notice though that they had 4 or 5 marked sold ...

Ken K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:15 PM   #26

Ken - on the other hand if you are into doilies how could you not want one of these?

I'm pretty convinced based on what I've read and been told directly that Shasta's warranty policy can be summarized as "do the bare minimum possible as cheaply as possible to get to that one year mark and please make this problem go away".

Longer shackles for clearance issues? Easily researched as to what the potential long term negative consequences are to that fix.

Silicone on a roof for leaks in a seam we were told didn't even exist? Again, practically anyone who knows anything about RV roofs says never, ever use Silicone (if you want it to last!).

A/C fix? No one knows here what they will do but hopefully they've read enough on what everyone else has done that they will at least have a CLUE.

What I find as so ironic is that the main reason people love these is the design - something totally attributable to someone probably born in the 1930's who worked at Shasta in the late 1950's, and for the most part not creditable to the current company. All they had to do was basically "copy" it and build it like they cared... I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you think they failed?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 AM   #27

Thanks for the posts here. This is good information and the modifications some of you have made seem to be easy enough to do.

I can't help but notice the tone of Kimberly's post is quite different than the others.
I am curious if the rest of you tried contacting Shasta to see if changing/improving the A/C components could or would be covered under warranty?

From my understanding, their warranty would cover malfunctioning items or other issues like leaks, damage, safety issues, bad parts, etc... but not necessarily change things that don't work the way the customer wants them to.
(i.e. the air conditioner functions just fine, but does not cool efficiently)

I'm just trying to understand how they would say yes to covering something like this (which seems to be a design oversight) under warranty as long as the parts still turn on, function, etc. Am I missing something?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #28

A/C Under Warranty

What is Shasta's solution to the AC issue? Anyone know?
Old 05-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #29

At least one dealer received a picture of insulation and duct-work (likely cribbed from one of the Facebook groups) and was told to do the same.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:24 PM   #30

It will be very interesting to see pictures of these first dealer installed fixes. I'm also real curious to know if that will be enough when it is 95 and 90% humidity. I still think that fixed vent is too small / restrictive to let out enough hot air and at the same time let in enough "cooling air" but I suspect we'll be hearing for sure (from those of us in the South) come August.

Tags
shasta