Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 04:25 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessieB View Post
So its safe to say nobody likes their Shasta Retro?
I love my reissue as does my wife, seems we haven't had the problems some have.. The dealer got it right before he delivered..

Red Retro # 96
Ozark Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:44 PM   #62

Interesting two different views. The hubby and I are looking to downsize and the Shasta Retro caught our eye. We are going to ask the dealer to put the trailer on a lift (or over a pit) so the hubby can do an inspection. If they don't want to comply we will walk out. We are also going to look at other smaller campers.
TessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #63

I would look elsewhere. Airstream elsewhere.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #64

I like the Airstream but I can't justify the price for something we will use part time. There was a vintage 27 footer at the local Camping World that was all original- a barn find! Exciting for sure but simply too large for the two of us. It would look good on a lake lot, though....
Old 07-17-2015, 04:54 PM   #65

Others can speak for themselves, but given the opportunity to turn back time, I would skip the Airflyte and put the money down on a 16' Airstream Bambi.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:07 PM   #66
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFVets View Post
Good Evening All... Thanks so much for the replies. My husband is getting the pics off his phone to download.. He doesn't think it was blown out--it looked like the metal was "crinkled up" and separated.. no evidence of tire rubbing.. We'll get pics posted soon as we need to find the cable box as we just moved and swimming in boxes... Funny, we have talked about just showing up next week in Middleton and see what they say... We are somewhat stuck as we bought in Utah and now here in Mississippi... I will say Country Creek RV in Hattiesburg has been amazing with us being that we didn't buy from them and the Shasta warranty service line won't deal with me, just a dealer as Im sure they are busy... Hopefully the company will do the right thing, I'll keep ya'll posted... and with the pics as well..
I'm afraid I would tape, wire, ratchet strap it together and show up at the factory door.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by TessieB View Post
Interesting two different views. The hubby and I are looking to downsize and the Shasta Retro caught our eye. We are going to ask the dealer to put the trailer on a lift (or over a pit) so the hubby can do an inspection. If they don't want to comply we will walk out. We are also going to look at other smaller campers.
I think the integrity of the dealer has everything to do with the satisfaction you'll have with ANY of the makes and models out there. To make yourself aware of the product going in. The dealer is the final inspection and correction part of any RV. If they just pump them out, then the end user is not going to be happy, doing more fixing than camping. Unfortunate that bad service is more common than not.
I was lucky to find a family owned small dealer that cares about their customers.
They told me they have done a number of reissues for warranty work that were sold by dealers that didn't do the prep work before delivery.
I'm not pushing the Shasta, but am suggesting to really check out the dealer..
If they're. Just pressing for a sale.... Keep looking.
Google the social media, there are a number of sites out there, some folks are happy, some not.. Mine had issues, they were just corrected first..
Jimmy

Red Retro # 96
Ozark Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #68

And that's a MAJOR problem with this trailer...dealers are few and far between.

Shasta cut corners on the Reissue and made them in haste. Every trailer has issues, including potentially dangerous problems with wheel clearance. If you can't buy local, don't even consider it.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #69

Putting mine up for sale, and I haven't even camped in it yet. Problem is, unlike a dealer that will sell it to you knowing the problems, I'll be honest with whoever buys it so my conscious doesn't bother me. Unless a class action lawsuit happens before I sell it.
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #70

NHSTA Complaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSconnect View Post
I have filed three safety related complaints with NHSTA.

1. Window falling out
2. Suspension not sufficient to support trailer weight
3. Supplying passenger car tires on Travel Trailer

NHTSA called me today - they are listening. I strongly advocate that every owner having these issues do the same.

Shasta, by now being well aware of these problems (especially 1,2 above), has yet to send any notification direct to owners recommending they at least have their trailers inspected.
I hate to say it but unless about 8 people are killed by this safety issue, your probably not going to get much satisfaction from NHSTA.
Nahanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 PM   #71

Well the hubby and I looked at the Retro and neither of us were impressed. One unit (a red one) had terrible trim work. The toilet wobbled when I sat on it and I saw the wall of the bathroom buckle as I shifted my weight. The silver tape trim was bubbled and wrinkled. Another red unit was missing molding in the storage area and still contained sawdust in those areas. The molding on the outside of this particular unit was kinked and jagged. The door did not open and close easily. The suspension inadequate. Poor tire clearance.

The yellow Retro 16 interior was complete although the stitch work on the seats were already stressed to the point of giving and the material was already stained. Somebody in the factory was staple happy and went ocd on several trim areas creating an eyesore on a portion of the wall.

Now to the Seafoam 16 foot. Now this camper was completely different. The interior was complete. All the trim was neat and well caulked. All molding was in place. No sagging ceiling or bulging walls. The bathroom was intact and the toilet was firmly seated. The suspension had been upgraded. This particular camper seemed to have been more carefully constructed. Even so, we passed on purchasing a Retro as the quality did not equal the price. We wanted a camper to camp in not park in the yard to allow people reminisce over.

Instead, the hubby purchased a 17 foot Coachman Clipper which, to me, was a unit more suitable for camping. The upholstery would be easier to maintain. You don't have to worry about mud on the floor. And it had a bed more suitable for old people to lay on.

The Retro, while pretty to look at, would simply not be able to handle the challenges of extreme camping. There is no way to keep a Retro clean with the material used on the seats and on the floor. If I ever considered a Retro I would have to make major changes to the upholstery and the floor. And at the price they are being offered, it's just not worth it.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #72

My AC fix on the Alaska Hwy #1347

Remounted fan to left of center. Sleeved the opening and divided into two equal parts about 9X7". Install a flange on AC unit to fasten duct with aluminum duct tape. Fabed a duct using that bubble insulation from hardware suppliers. Insulated compartment with same material using 3M spray glue to plug all the holes in cabinets.blocked off 1" gap above AC unit and bottom of cabinet floor with some sheet metal angle. Results forthcoming.No dealers in AK would even talk to me. As far as the springs are concerned mine is rubbing on the drivers side, but that's where all the weight is. Fresh water,AC unit,microwave,heater,battery. Purchasing dealer in OR is playing dumb but did order the shackles for me to install. Alaska Hwy is brutal on travel Trailers, actually held up pretty well considering. Return back to the USA in August might be another story. Stay tuned.#1347
Old 07-20-2015, 07:49 AM   #73

Wow, I thought that maybe after screwing up the first 100 that they might of got it right.
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #74

No, pc, you're thinking of a "normal" company with a responsible President/GM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #75
A Little Bit Crazy

DouglasLive - We purchased that same Maxxis for our spare tire but it isn't a a whitewall. They get great reviews. Do you know if they make ST whitewalls to fit our reissues? I did find Diamondbacks in WW but they got a thumbs down from one of our more knowledgeable members in another group.
Fancygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancygirl View Post
I did find Diamondbacks in WW but they got a thumbs down from one of our more knowledgeable members in another group.
Thanks! Can you share the details of that review?
Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #77
A Little Bit Crazy

DB White Walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasLive View Post
Thanks! Can you share the details of that review?
I can't until later as I am working and social media is blocked. If I recall it has something to do with the fact that they (DBTire) use other tires to 'make' their WW tires, rendering their tires' quality questionable. I did read on the DBTire site moments ago that they can legally only sell their tires for vehicles made prior to 1976 due to some labeling on the sidewalls that they remove during their bonding process. So I guess for us it really doesn't matter because our new 'vintage' trailers are 2015s.

Quote:
"...The Tread Act of 2000 requires tire manufacturers to
permanently mold certain information on both tire
sidewalls. This information is the same on both sidewalls.
Because of our process, this information is
removed from one sidewall only. This information
includes tire size, maximum pressure recommendations,
size, brand, the word “radial” and the manufacturers
DOT number.
The National Highway & Safety Administration
(NHTSA) has allowed us to continue to produce tires
for vehicles built prior to 1976. That Federal standard
is FMVSS 109. All tires for vehicles manufactured in
or after 1976 must comply with standard FMVSS139,
which requires different labeling. This standard is
more stringent on performance testing; meaning tires
are subjected to higher speeds to achieve certification.
Ironically, Diamond Back, because of its process,
uses only tires that are certified to the higher performance
standards of FMVSS139. The majority of tires
sold by the competition cannot make this claim. If
their product description specifies “for pre 1976 vehicles”,
those tires are labeled and tested under the less
strenuous standards of FMVSS109. Remember, all tires
that Diamond Back uses have been certified under the
new, more stringent performance and endurance standards.
*FMVSS139 (Tread Act of 2000). Our finished
products have been submitted and passed 100% for
endurance and speed testing for the latest standard.
Unfortunately, we can not knowingly accept orders for
vehicles built after 1976. Why? It’s a labeling issue.
Please specify the intended vehicle fitment, including
year manufactured, make and model when ordering."
Fancygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #78

That sounds about right. Looks Like they are getting cold feet on this over blown tire issue too.

Tags
shasta