Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

2015 Shasta Airflyte Re-issue - Problem No 2 - The Bathroom

If you plan to actually use the shower, the bathroom is anything but watertight.

Aside from the obvious places that are going to allow water to penetrate into your frame / floor - poor (read that missing) caulking on the seams, the door frame, where the roof meets the sides and the gaping hole around the water supply line to the toilet where it goes through the wall- the little window in the bath is going to really let the water flow into your side walls.

If you remove the outer aluminum "frame" (only two screws as it arrived from the factory) you'll know immediately what I mean. It will actually "catch" the water and direct it into your walls.

I removed this frame and completely surrounded it with poly butyl tape (the same thing you see on the outside of the TT where the seams meet) and then added extra screws to ensure firm contact all the way around. This takes care of the outside of the frame, but I've still got to seal the inside where the window meets the frame. I'll use the same product to seal those holes as well.

Some folks may rely on the little curtain - or shower more carefully and not even wet the outside wall? I just know I'm not one of them..........here's a pic of the window frame with the extra screws
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0247.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	69333  
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #2

Thanks for the description! I think most of the focus has been on water escaping through the door, which is obviously not watertight.

As for the windows, it's only a matter of time until all have to be pulled and sealed with butyl tape. My rear window leaks, so I'm having a local shop reseal with butyl. They aren't authorized for warranty work, but I don't care. Getting it done right is the most important thing to me.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #3

Meant to add, why is there even a shower head in there? Clearly it's not intended for use as a shower.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #4

Well campers typically come with a cheap white curtain if it is needed. My dealer told me I would NOT need one. Sounds like you need one and have to figure out a creative way to install since no hardware is set. I guess I'll Wing it!
msobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #5

If one of you nice guys could post your creative solution. I would greatly apprecIate it. I love that you solve these problems.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:24 AM   #6

Solving "problems"

msobvious, I am attaching a picture a friend posted recently. She cut a regular shower curtain in half, then sewed the side seams to give it a finished look. It only took 6 Command hooks to place the shower curtain in the wetbath door way. I've seen others use this simple solution of adding a shower curtain. I've also seen the iPod RV's wetbath that has a flexible rod and curtain hooks. This is available through your dealership.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reissued command hook curtains.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	69346  
Old 02-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #7

My friend owns a dealership so I will ask about the iPod. Maybe that is available for purchase? I just looked at the iPods with my frog friends and didn't pay attention.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #8

Please let me know msobvious. I would like to get a solution from the dealer. I have some physical issues and not able to do some of these creative solutions.
MillieAJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 AM   #9

Here is an example of a flexible shower curtain track that would work great:

RECMAR 432 Deluxe Shower Curtain kit it is from Curtain-Tracks . com

Old 02-10-2015, 01:46 AM   #10

Flexible Shower Curtain pic

The flexible shower curtain is only 23.75.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #11

Great post - thanks. I'll have to look into this for hanging a shower curtain (which is really no problem).

However, do you have a similar quick fix for the real problem of the toilet water supply hose going through the wall, where the water will leak through? A 48 cent rubber grommet slid over the hose during the build would have been great......
Old 02-10-2015, 11:36 PM   #12

I need to check ours, DSC. Can you post a pic?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 PM   #13

It is not easy to get a pic back in behind the toilet - hope this helps. Even though it is fuzzy you can see the gap I'm talking about. And once water starts hitting this supply line it is going to to follow the line thru the wall and end up puddling on the floor under your rear closet - and right next to your battery and electrical bus bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0248.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	69513  

Tags
roo, shasta