Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Airflyte 16 a/c

My airflyte just came back from dealer with the manufacturer's fix installed to isolate the exhaust from the ambient air. they seemed to have done a good job but I extended the divider wall another 2" all the way out to the vent cover on the outside wall. I also added a 2nd fan and moved both fans closer to the cover (they will get wet(ter) if traveling in rain). I also added common screen to this opening, the two fridge vent openings and the water heater vent.
Unbelievably, the Shasta came back from the shop with a different power cord AND the a/c unit had a different faceplate behind the two control knobs! what the...?! and of course, nobody knows anything....
Questions:
1. does anyone know what the model number is for the little Frigidaire a/c unit?? any numbers on mine are completely hidden and the manual is useless.
2. What length power cord does your 16' Airflyte have?
red lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Mine is Frigidaire FRA052XT7 but I thought I heard more than one model of A/C units may have been used.
JimDinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #3

Last week I took the A/C unit out of our Airflyte , it never worked right and chances are that window unit would never work properly in the cupboard . It only took a half an hour to remove it-

I saw the same Frigidaire unit at Wal Mart for $140.00 . We live in Michigan so no A/C is not a deal breaker. I'd rather have the storage space and less weight then that crumby A/C that doesn't work .
I have not measured our power cord but it's at least 10 ft.
Squatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:59 AM   #4

I just replaced mine last week with a Frigidaire FFRE0833Q1 Energy Star 8,000-BTU 115V Mini-Compact Air Conditioner with Temperature Sensing Remote Control. I figured 8000 BTU was better than 5000 BTU and I definitely didn't want to have to crawl on the floor to operate the A/C. The ability to program it and the fact that it will maintain a set temperature were additional bonuses. $239 from Walmart.

Now I have an extra air conditioner I've never used. I've seen at least one owner who installed a second unit under the rear gaucho. I'll see how my trailer does in 100 degree heat next summer before I try that.

I also added a thermostatically controlled Fan-Tastic 8073350 ceiling fan so hopefully I'm set for hot weather.
JimDinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 03:13 AM   #5

Finished the cabinet door yesterday , now our Shasta is A/C delete and we have a nice storage area .

Squatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

we have considered taking the AC out but it gets very hot in the south lol
did you just order a new door from your dealer?
kbjabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

A/C on airflyte

I have a 16' airflyte reissue #417; bought it in 11/2014. The quality control issues are too numerous to mention; overall poor quality but most were corrected during the first year under warranty. The most major issue is the a/c. The original unit did not cool but we purchased the trailer in the winter so we could not check it until warmer weather. That unit was replaced in December 2015, under warranty and Shasta's installation instruction fix was followed by Camping World that did the work. The new unit produces cold air but it is not sufficient to cool the interior of the trailer on a moderately warm day when the trailer is in the sun. I am convinced that one of the main issues is that the unit is installed in a cabinet on the floor and cold air can not reach the ceiling. There is a reason why air conditioners in most rvs are roof mounted. I am now investigating a retrofit with a roof mounted a/c unit but I am sure that it won't be under warranty. Has anyone had experience with this in their airflyte?
ctairflyte417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #8

the roof cant support the weight of an AC on the roof.. but its true the design flaw in the AC you have to separate the exhaust air from the intake air flow
we have to put a fan in front of the ac which we trip over often
kbjabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

I am a member of another forum about the problems of the Shasta 16' Airflyte trailer. The link is airflytehacks.com/index.php/forum. Look at the thread with the title A/C Blows (not cool) under the Air Conditioning and Ventilation category. One of the members, Dustin, responded to one of my previous post and suggested a possible cure for the problematic a/c situation that many of us face. It involves installing a ductless air conditioner. He provided pictures and discussion of a his findings. It probably won't be covered under warranty and may cost $600 to $800 but it looks very promising. Much better than what Shasta has been suggesting.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #10

Please look at airflytehacks.com/index.php/forum and the thread with the title A/C Blows (not cool) under the Air Conditioning and Ventilation category. A member in that forum, Dustin, responded to a previous post and suggests a possible cure for the problematic a/c situation that many of us face. He provided pictures and discussion of his findings. It probably won't be covered under warranty and may cost $600 to $800 but it looks very promising. Much better than what Shasta has been suggesting.

Any additional comments anyone?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #11

Sorry for the double post above everyone. Used the quick post feature and was not sure that it was actually working.

Chip