Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2015, 07:59 PM   #1

Another Shasta airflyte owner, looking for info

Hello all. I purchased a 2015 16' Shasta reissue at the beginning of January that I will take delivery on at the end of March. I have been a hiker and backpack camper all of my life, but this will be my first foray into the world of travel trailers.

I have been looking for owners reviews on these new trailers and more importantly the quirks, manufacturing mistakes, and defects. Fortunately, and unfortunately, I have found them here. The info in these threads have been eye opening, but not totally a surprise. Anytime a new product comes out there are bound to be issues. But getting kinks worked out and shoddy manufacturing are two different things altogether. Having bought my trailer sight unseen, except for about a hundred photos of it, gives me a little cause for concern.

I can't tell you how excited I was, and still am about this trailer. I am a big retro guy and have already acquired what I think are some pretty cool items to outfit it with. I am also a custom cabinetmaker by trade and plan to put my own stamp on it with some customizations, which of course I will share with you after I have completed them.

In the meantime I look forward to reading up on everything Shasta 1961 reissue here!
dkcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #2

Would love to see your customizations! Please share when the time comes!
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:33 PM   #3

Welcome: Another Shasta airflyte owner, looking for info

I also ordered the 2015 Airflyte site unseen. In fact we tried to order it at the end of July but could not actually locate a dealership in my area that knew anything about them until the first week of Aug. I ordered the 19'. I know the production for the 19' starts the first week of March. (with the exception of 5 that were made last Dec.) Currently, we own a '61 Shasta Compact and a '64 Scotty. I am very excited to add the Reissued Airflyte to our family. My husband will be able to stand up in her . I have very high expectations of this new RV and so far my expectations have all been meet. I have researched and reviewed the Airflyte inside and out since the time of my pre order. If there is one thing I am 100% sure of it is ... Shasta as a company has once again established a place in History with this reissue. I am so glad they had the vision to make this Airflyte in today's world look and feel so much like the 1961. The dealerships are prepping the trailers to the customers satisfaction and if an "issue" is discovered they are quick to resolve them. One of the main concerns has been with the Hehr windows from the first production phase last year. The vendor recognized the "issue" and is currently replacing any window that may be found with an "issue". I know that it did not affect every trailer in the first production and I know how to test the windows at the dealership before I take mine home. The biggest take away with this knowledge is for folks to work with the dealerships to resolve this and not try to fix it ourselves. I agree, it is good to be a well informed customer. I'm glad to be making a trailer purchase with a warranty; unlike my 2 originals. They were both refurbished to perfection, but still require maintenance and special care to keep them perfect. It is so cool that you are a cabinet maker by trade. I bet you will be able to be creative with some after purchase upgrades. I'll be anxiously waiting for your pics too
Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #4

Hi Kimberly. Unfortunately the dealer, Terrytown RV from whom I have purchased my trailer from, is 915 miles and a 13+ hour drive from me. The closest dealer to me that sells the Airflytes that I found was six hours away in New Jersey. I chose Terrytown because of their reputation. But because of their proximity to me, I want to make sure that all potential issues are taken care of before I make the long drive to pick it up. Now that owners are starting to use their Airflytes and certain "issues" are coming to light, it is great to have forums like this to educate myself on them. Your club page on facebook has been wonderful as well, the more info that is out there the better!

And of course I will share any upgrades or customizations that I do to it on the club page. I already have an idea of three things that I plan to do. I can't wait!
dkcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #5

We are also hikers, and this is also our first trailer. I wanted an old one, but my husband wanted something new. The Shasta seemed like the perfect combination, and for the most part it is.

We pre-ordered ours (16 ft red) and had it towed to us (about 3,500 miles away) in November. Initially everything was fine, but very recently our rear window started to fall out while driving down the freeway. Luckily my husband noticed it right away, pulled over, and we put the window in to our Jeep. There seems to be a common problem with the foam adhesive and the hinge. The foam adhesive looses it's "stick" and we lost a few rivets that attach the hinge to the frame. Prior to it leaving the dealer, they tried to get the window to fail, but it didn't. My point is that even if your trailer looks fine, it's good to understand that this could happen down the line. We don't have a Shasta dealer anywhere near us, but we do have a Forest River one. I've been in contact with them, and they, inturn, are talking with Shasta to get us a replacement window. We are thinking that if the back window failed then it's entirely possible the other windows will too, as they are the same design.

We paid to have all the butyl tape re-done. It was missing in places, and wasn't very tidy looking. Better safe than sorry, right?

The only other thing that we've noticed, so far, is that the propane tank rubs on the front of the trailer. We've looked at moving the tank forward a few more inches.

If you tow anywhere a little windy you will probably want an anti sway bar. We scoffed at people for saying they want one until we hit a windy town (maybe 25 mph wind). It wagged like a happy puppy. Definitely worth the investment.

Hope that helps.
lynnalip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shasta