Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #21

JimDinTn:
Please tell us anxiously waiting Airflyte owners what was actually done on the axle replacement. You say entire replacement of suspension, is it a wider axle? Heavier springs etc. I did a lot of this myself, with 2400# springs with the longer shackle on the left side only to level the trailer. Still have the clearance problem on the inside of fender, but it raised it up 1-1/2. Mine was leaning heavily to the left as all the weight on these is on one side. Seems like if there was problems removing the tire & wheel the wider axle would just make it worse. I don't trust these dealers so any info on what was actually performed would be appreciated. The beauty rings look awesome .Thanks
Nahanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #22

I didn't look to see what was done. I've read that the axle is slightly wider to eliminate any inside tire rubbing and the axle is no longer a drop axle to provide the 3 in top clearance required by the axle manufacturer. I did notice that the 16' were considerably higher after the change out. My 19' was only slightly higher. I just got my recall letter yesterday and it states you may be reimbursed if you paid for previous work to eliminate the tire rubbing.
JimDinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:44 PM   #23

Thanks for the advise , JimD
We haven't got a recall letter yet , The RV dealer we bought ours from is 100 miles away from home , winter is coming and I don't want our trailer out on the roads with snow/salt . For Me it would be more work and time to take it to them , drop it off and then make time to go pick it up again .
We have our trailer parked inside of our pole barn for the winter , right now we use an electric space heater and just go out and hang out in it , make coffee and play cribbage .
I would prefer to do the work my self and know it's been done right .
Squatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #24

I had my done at the plant. It took <90 minutes. The letter says it should take 60 minutes. Take it on a dry day and watch them do the work. I'd be surprised if they have you an axle assembly to install yourself. It is a government required recall.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:14 PM   #25

I understand that ,and it's a crying shame being a brand new trailer !! but I also plan on changing the springs/shackles too , also changing the Coker tires to ST205 trailer tires instead of passenger car tires .
I did talk to the sales man last week about the axle-he said they would change it but I would have to pay them extra to change the springs-then he tried talking me into keeping the Cokers instead of changing them too.
He did say they would give me the axle if I really wanted to do it myself. A lot of good the factory warranty does when people have taken their trailers back multiple times and it's still not right . By the time "Squatty" comes out of the barn in the spring it will be road worthy .
Squatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:00 AM   #26

I'm not sure your salesman is correct. I was told the axle assembly includes springs, brakes and shackles. Just schedule the recall and if you don't like the axle assembly do what you like. They can't force you to install it. My trailer appears roadworthy after 2k miles and no visits to the dealer except for the axle swap which was done by the time I returned from breakfast. There's nothing wrong with the tires but you're free to swap them out. I'll do so when they show wear. I and most owners haven't had significant issues. Of course some weren't so lucky but they are in the minority. The Web magnifies their unfortunate troubles.

Tags
shasta