Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2015, 01:58 AM   #1

Are There Any Shasta Airflyte Owners That Are Happy?

I was wondering if threre are any Airflyte owners that have not had any problems and are happy with there trailers?
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

I'm sure you'll get some Pollyanna who says "yes!", but don't listen. They all have problems. If you want one, buy it and grab your toolbox.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 PM   #3

No Pollyanna here but I am happy with mine. Took it to from Kentucky to Colorado and had a great time with no problems. When I got it I did the duct work for the air conditioner but that is all that I have done to it. No leaks, adequate space in wheel well, no defective interior workmanship. I admit that after reading all of the posts here that I was waiting for the shoe to drop especially since I had serious problems with my previous two campers. I don't doubt that there are some with problems and apparently some with very serious problems. I feel for them; but I can't say that I have anything serious and given all I've taken it through I don't expect any either.
Greycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

Here's another Happy Camper.. No problems what so ever... I did upgrade to a 8050 btu AC just encase I go to a really hot spot.. But the 5000 btu was adequate. The dealer had done the fix.. No tire rub or other issues .. Guess I'm lucky. ..

Red Retro # 96
Ozark Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #5

How about a pic of one of these RV s
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
How about a pic of one of these RV s
Ready for the road.. Sorry this site doesn't like my apple photos...

Red Retro # 96
Ozark Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #7
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Just google "shasta airflyte" and ask for images.

Like many others, I remember these. Our family bought one of the originals in 1962 and took it on a 6week/7000 mile loop from Michigan through the Northern route to Washington, meandered down to San Fran and back through the Southwest and across through Colorado and back home....hitting every major National Park and Monument along the way....what a trip.

It was the "shasta dome" model of the 1962 airflyte....so the front had a bunk...and us kids climbed a ladder over the dinette table to go to bed every night.

That trailer saw annual trips for many years....sat beside my folks house...and was passed down to my Sister.....frame and axle finally rusted beyond repair combined with some interior plywood damage due to their neglect of roof seam leaks, and was retired around 2005. Quite an RV and explains the nostagia felt by many of the current buyers.
sparty047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #8

Here's mine

Colorado this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colorado1.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	85931  
Greycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

I love mine. Put in 8000 btu AC, but large 30+ ft TT and 5th wheels sold in TX have two large A/C's. I also put a swivel adapter on the faucet ($4) longer ropes for awning, battery cut off switch, made a fused adapter to turn on running lights when parked at night. I have not had leaks or clearance issues. Live in San Antonio, picked-up in Dallas drove without trailer brakes (Nissan/Suzuki internal tow package wiring issue[fixed]) and have taken trips to Del Rio and Corpus Christi without incident. Note: that Flyte Camp use Coker tires on their restorations. Riverside Retro RV's also have 5000 btu window A/C's and clearance problems[check there websites] You can get a 19 foot Airstream for $48k, but I bet some people still have warranty issues.
RHKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #10

RHKirk: How did you make the fused adapter for the running lights and how is it used? I recall something about jumpering the 12V power and running lights pins (4 & 3) in the trailer side connector but I haven't tried it. (Just got my trailer four days ago.)
JimDinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDinTN View Post
RHKirk: How did you make the fused adapter for the running lights and how is it used? I recall something about jumpering the 12V power and running lights pins (4 & 3) in the trailer side connector but I haven't tried it. (Just got my trailer four days ago.)

The easy way:

However, be respectful of your camping neighbors. They may not think it is as cool as you if your lights are interfering with their enjoyment.

You can also run to an auto parts store and get a flasher, that usually lines up perfect on the RV plug. This will make your lights flash.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #12

Thanks. Now flashing lights would be annoying.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #13

Purchased a wired fuse holder from auto parts store $3 added a 15 amp fuse and crimped bladed ends on the wires it is placed in the 3 & 4 holes of the the
plug.
RHKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 PM   #14

i wish i didnt have problems. maybe 3 or is it the 4th time for repairs, will be a charm...
kbjabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #15

Happy Aerflyte Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I was wondering if threre are any Airflyte owners that have not had any problems and are happy with there trailers?
After much warranty work that I did myself I am very happy with my Aerflyte 16. I installed longer shackles on the leaf springs to increase tire clearance. Replaced undersized vent fan with a Fantastic fan. Modified the gaucho so I can open toilet room door with bed pulled all the way out. Removed AC unit for increased storage (location and size of AC and inadequate trailer insulation made AC useless on hot days). Modified cabinets for increased storage and strength. Installed Velcro tabs on seat backs to hold them in place. Replaced faulty door latch and modified new one to not fail. Recoated all underside pipes that were rusting. Replaced sink faucet with one was higher and discharged over the center of the sink. Removed all the useless advertising and legal decals (do not remove decals with manufacturers information). I now have a beautiful and functional trailer that turns heads wherever I go.
howdy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #16

Would appreciate seeing your rear gaucho mod.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:39 PM   #17

Aerflyte 16 Gaucho Mod

What makes this possible is that the bottom of the door is pretty high. Pull the gaucho out and make a pencil mark the front face of the slide out nearest the door. I cut a piece out that was 3 1/2" down from the top and 7" over from the left edge (again this is on the front face). This included the framing on the edges. Then I made a cut on the top surface of the slide out which removed a 45 degree right triangle, 7" on each side. Do not cut the stationary piece of plywood that doesn't slide out. This allowed the door to open far enough with the slide pulled all the way out for me to get into the toilet. If you're a really big guy the 7" dimension could be increased. Don't forget to replace the framing that was removed, particularly the vertical piece that holds that corner up. I used wood glue and a pneumatic pin nailer for the framing. This takes care of the wood part of the slider. Now you have to make a simple modification to the foam in the seat pad. Unzip the cushion and pull the foam pad out. Make a diagonal cut on one corner of the pad that is slightly smaller than 7" triangle you cut out of the slider (I cut off a 6 1/2" right triangle). Insert the pad so the cut corner will be in the back right corner when the seat cushion is in place. The back cushion sits over the seat cushion mostly covering this void. When you pull the gaucho out to make a bed flip the cushion over so the cut pad corner is nearest the door. When you open the door the upholstery will compress, Remember!! You are not cutting the upholstery, just the pad. When the gaucho is slid back to make a seat you will see the 3 1/2" deep cut in the upper left corner of the wood facing. Take a small dark blanket and place it under the seat pad so it hangs down the face (all the way across) so it covers the cut. Funny that Shasta didn't think of something like this when they designed the trailer.
howdy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy67 View Post
Funny that Shasta didn't think of something like this when they designed the trailer.
There are a lot of things Shasta didn't think about.

Thanks for the description!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #19

Are There Any Shasta Airflyte Owners That Are Happy ?

We bought our 16' Airflyte this past summer , YES it does have a few issues like the crumby A/C , and the tire/spring problem-which is going to be replaced this winter by changing the tires and new springs and shackles .
The tire replacement doesn't bother me too much as I'm not a fan of those white walls anyway . I know a few Hot Rod guys that want to buy the Coker tires and that will help off set the price of new trailer tires .

One of the biggest problems I had was the fact that a brand new trailer didn't come with a spare tire and the lack of hub caps , both were easy fix's .
Before:

After:

As far as the A/C problem goes - that is an engineering flaw by Shasta by using a window unit inside of the cabinet ....any A/C would fail under those conditions . Then if anyone took the cabinet apart themselves and saw that it's a cheap window unit that could be bought at Wal Mart for under $200.00 -It's not the trailers fault . No A/C for us is not a deal breaker .
We did a lot of research on them before the purchase and knew of the complaints before hand .
With the issues it has-for the most part we are very happy with our Airflyte and am happy to have it .
Squatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:34 AM   #20

@Squatty. There is a recall on the axle assembly. The entire suspension is replaced. Contact your dealer. You should get a letter but why wait to schedule. No need to replace your springs/shackles yourself. I had my work done at the plant two weeks ago. Took them 90 minutes.

See http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recal...rs-092915.html

Tags
shasta